Tonya, Excersies with a herniated disk?

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Bakin8th's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I seen you mentioned you have that issue. My dh has had 2 surgeries on his lower back for herniated disk's. He went back to work for 3 more yrs after his first injury and surgery before it happened again.

He is now retired and won a settlement since his injury was at work. But since then ( 3 yrs now) he has gained weight.

He finds stuff like biking hurts his back any suggestions on lower back friendly excersise for him?

Ttcing #9 After TWO 2nd trimester loss's and FIVE 1st trimester loss's. Missing our 8 ANGEL'S

IUI W/CLOMID/TRIGGER FEB 12/13 09!

Kyle (absent) Chelsea, Miki, Hanna, Johna, Sari, Jessiah and Isaiah.

THE LORD GIVES AND TAKES AWAY MY HEART WILL CHOOSE TO SAY BLESSED BE HIS WONDERFUL NAME!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our 8 Greatly missed Angels
12W, 6W, 6W, 9W 1 twin, 5W
17W twins (sex unkown) and "Elijah"
17W "Angel"
January 15th, 2009, 05:11 PM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Has he tried a recumbant bike? I can't use a regular bike, or an elliptical, because they will hurt my back, but I can use a recumbant bike because it has a back rest like a chair and you just pedal. You have to be careful with anything with impact because it will aggrivate them. The treadmill would be okay, but limit the incline and speed to just a fast walk at most. Jogging and running would be too much for a back issue. You also aren't suppose to put weight on the spine, like a bar across your shoulders for squats, but I do that anyway. I just pay for it in pain for a few days afterwards, but my herniations are at T3 and T4 which is in the upper back where the bar rests, so my pain isn't exactly the same as his. I wouldn't recommend that for everyone, but I have a high pain tolerance and push myself as far as I can. I have found though that if I do weight training for the muscles of the back that surround those joints, it helps me tremendously with the pain. Also, my chiropractor and inversion table are my life savers. The inversion table is where you hang by your feet upside down. The weight of your upper body acts as traction and pulls the vertebra apart, allowing the herniation to not have the pressure of the vertebra on it, so therefore less pain. What disc's are herniated? I have a program that I can use to give him specific exercises for that area to stretch it out which will help with pain. The benefits of going for my degree in physical therapy, I have the software physical therapists use.
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

January 15th, 2009, 05:25 PM
You know we have looking at that bike, but he wasnt sure it would be ok. He thinks L-5 and S-1 the area just above where bum meets back lol

He has a perminant limp from nerve damage(neglecting to take time off after first injury) so he not to keen on a treadmill.

His arms and legs are pretty muscley his middle section is the problem.

Thank you for all your advice!

Ttcing #9 After TWO 2nd trimester loss's and FIVE 1st trimester loss's. Missing our 8 ANGEL'S

THE LORD GIVES AND TAKES AWAY MY HEART WILL CHOOSE TO SAY BLESSED BE HIS WONDERFUL NAME!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
17W "Angel"
January 15th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Ok, so his issue is more like my SI joint issue. Mine is where the Sacrum (S vertebra) meets the Iliac (hip) bone. Definitely look into a recumbant bike and an inversion table. The Inversion Table is what helps my SI problem more then anything. That and yoga. The twisting poses put mine back in place. Depending on how his is herniated though, he may not be able to do the twisting poses, but may notice some improvement from the long stretches to elongate the spine. I'll put him together a stretching card tomorrow when I get home from school. Does he have any problems with bending forward? I'll also see if the program has anything for strengthening that area. (I'm sure it does, but I haven't played with it enough to know where the strengthening things are yet.)
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

January 15th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Thank you!

He can not twist and bending forward is possable but painfull and flares everything up.

His surgeries removed all but the smallsest piece of disk as it had exploded and a tiny piece ended up by pressing on and dammaged his nerves and he kept working while it got worse not knowing.

If he damages it one more time they want to fuse the area permintly. That was why he won his settlement as continuing to work would have done severe long term damage.

But I agree that getting stronger muscles will help the pain over all plus getting the pnds off the tummy will aliviate the constant strain on the back and he is more then willing to go for it

He walks alot in the summer daily but the treadmill freaks him out with his limp he afraid of flying off it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
17W "Angel"
January 15th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Check out the exercise of the day that I just posted for tomorrow. It is an ab exercise, but it is also for the low back muscles. Very gentle and effective at the same time.

Also, make sure he knows that he can slow the treadmill down to like 1/2 a mile an hour so he can still use it. It is better then walking outside because it has some cushion to ease the impact to the vertebra.

January 15th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Thank you so much!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
17W "Angel"

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search