Actively trying to loose weight while pregnant?

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Cherished1's Avatar On an extended babymoon
Hi girls

I've been told that it is ok to actively loose weight while you are pregnant as long as you are getting enough calories (at least 1200 per day) and you aren't exercising strenuously and your heart rate doesn't go over 140 and you don't do stomach exercises or laying down ones in the 2nd tri.

I'm wondering if anyone here has lost weight in pregnancy and how they went about it (ms not included)

I am 72kg now (159 pounds) and that is already 15kg (33 pounds) overweight for me. I was pregnant in Jan and went to our 11wk scan in March and saw that the fetus had died at 8 weeks and 3 days. I had a D&C, got my period and now thankfully I am pg again! YAY My only problem is that I put on so much weight and didn't have a chance to get it off before getting pregnant again and now I am very afraid of turning into a whale I realise that putting on weight is a part of pregnancy and I am over the moon to finally be having our 1st bub as we started ttc in Sep but I really want to loose weight.... Any advise?

Our Amazing Water Birth Story
May 31st, 2009, 02:13 AM
Amy B.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry about your loss, but congrats on the new pregnancy! You can definitely eat healthfully & exercise during pregnancy to try not to gain too much. However. you should talk to your doctor about actually trying to lose weight. You need to be healthy for your baby.

Also, I know in the second and third trimesters at least that 1200 cals isn't going to be enough, as you need about 300 or so extra calories/day for baby's development. If you actively try to be healthy during pregnancy, you may only gain 15-20 pounds. I don't know about everyone else, but that's about how much I lose within the first 2-4 weeks postpartum without even trying. Good luck to you!

Thank you, peimum, for my beautiful siggy!

May 31st, 2009, 05:41 AM
BobbiC's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto talking to your doctor before actively trying to lose weight.
I lost weight in the 3rd trimester with both of my little ones but that is because I had GD and was already overweight. I ate extremely healthy and had the recommended calories while preggo so no harm was done to the baby.

May 31st, 2009, 05:52 AM
peacoxx's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
when i was pregnant with my last i didn't want to go over the 25-30 lbs weight gain because that is usually all baby. I ate really healthy (plus we were broke). We walked a lot around the mall and outside and all that. It really helped..although i ended up smaller after i had him than before (not much) but i am sure if you are trying to LOSE then u'll do that...

Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

May 31st, 2009, 07:04 AM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the board! I'm Tonya, one of your co-hosts and a certified personal trainer and sports nutritionist. One of my certifications is in pre and post natal exercise. The recommendations you were given are accurate as far as the heart rate and ab work FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS CARRYING A BABY. Because you've had a miscarriage, that's no longer the case. You have to talk to your doctor about why you lost the baby before and find out if exercise or nutrition issues may have been a contributing factor. with certain issues, exercise may be a factor and should be avoided during pregnancy because of risk to the baby. If you are trying to do 1200 calories, honestly, nutrition may have been a factor. When I do a nutrition workup, 1200 calories is rarely enough for most people. Basically, you have to be about 90 pounds of lean body mass and completely sedentary in order to survive on 1200 calories. If you are only 90 pounds of lean body mass then you are 44% fat at your current weight which is exceptionally high for the description of yourself that you gave, so I'm betting that 1200 calories isn't enough for you, much less for you and a growing baby.

My best suggestion is to talk to your doctor and make sure you are cleared for exercise, light exercise. Walking is good, but watch your heart rate and don't spend too much time in the heat. There are lots of prenatal videos out there that you could do too. Prenatal Yoga is fabulous! Don't worry about calories until after the baby is born because you can't safely get an accurate body fat percentage while pregnant to figure exactly what you need. Just focus on eating healthy foods, 5-6 times a day, and taking your prenatals.

Congrats and good luck!
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

May 31st, 2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks so much girls

Tonya that's great info I have a really good Body Composition Monitor and this morning these were the results

Weight 71.1kg (158lb)
Fat 37.8%
Muscle 42.3kg (93.2lb)
Fluid 46.2%

I usually say that I had a m/c rather than explaining a 'missed abortion' As my body kept the fetus inside for nearly 4 weeks after it's heart stopped beating the OB said that my body 'holding' onto the fetus was not a problem and that it would most likely be developmental problems as to why it had died. I only did one workout while I was pregnant last time and that was actually 4 days 'after' the date it had died... I remember feeling like it was the first time I had the energy to do anything... I than found out why I all of the sudden had energy again. This time I've been tired, but yesterday I didn't need a nap because I was feeling good... The 2 workouts I have done have been pretty light (I think anyway)... walking on treadmill for 15 mins total... only low speed and increasing the speed to a faster walk for 2 mins than dropping the speed back down again... heart rate staying below 140 bbp... Weights have been very light... like lat pull downs with only 7.5kg and 40 reps (I've wondered if they are doing anything at all!) 20 squats against a wall with a fit ball behind my back... Does that sort of thing sound ok?

As far as nutrition goes I have lost weight a few times counting calories at 1200... I've found that it's ok as long as I am eating both carbs and protein... In fact I've wondered if eating so few calories has made my metabolism so slow The body composition monitor I have gives a figure of how many calories I am burning (at rest I think) and today it was 1387 which isn't really much! It also says that a 46year old generally burns that much... So being 31yr old I have some work to do...

Thanks again for your help

Last edited by Cherished1; May 31st, 2009 at 11:30 PM.
May 31st, 2009, 03:06 PM
Wow, you definitely have a great body composition scale. But I wouldn't get on it again while pregnant. They use a low electrical current run through the body to determine those things. As a trainer when I use one of those, I won't do it if someone has a pacemaker or is pregnant because of the possible risks. That being said, since we know your muscle mass, I can easily figure your calorie needs now. How active are you not counting exercise? On a scale of one to five with one being completely sedentary and five being professional athlete?

The workouts you described are fine. You may even be able to step it up a notch if you want. We seem to have a lot of ladies who come here and find out they're pregnant, so maybe I should just sticky pregnancy workout guidelines? HUM>>>>>going to do that now.
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

May 31st, 2009, 10:25 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think that 1200 cals is enough for a pregnant woman. You may be right about your metabolism being too slow because you don't eat enough calories. Maybe using pregnancy to help reset your metabolism would be a good idea. Allow yourself to eat the normal amount of calories for your heigh/weight for maintenance. Then when you have the baby you can reduce your calories by 500 a day and should be able to lose weight quickly. If you really did slow your metabolism by eating too little then after baby you will have even more difficulty losing the baby weight, since it will be impossible for you to safely reduce your calories more.

I personally wouldn't do it. I tried very hard during my last pregnancy not to gain too much weight. At the time of his delivery I only gained about 1-2 pounds (24 weeks gestation). Now I wonder if he was stillborn because I didn't provide him with enough nutrition. I was eating about 1600 calories a day, but during the first trimester I was exercising 5-6 times a week, after that about 3 times a week.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
June 1st, 2009, 12:19 AM
Thanks so much Tonya... I had a look at your pregnancy workout guidelines and they will be very helpful for me and others I'm sure... I went back and looked at my post... I am doing 40 reps with 7.5 kg not 15kg... But in your guidlines it looks like I could put 10-15kg back on and do 20 reps without any drama

I work 26 hours a week pretty much sitting on an office chair as a receptionist. At home a do the general house work (there isn't much as it's just the 2 of us... no kids yet) and other than that I don't do anything except a workout every now and again...

The info on the body compostion monitor is also very helpful! I am not that obsessed that I get on there every day but probably weekly I do... They are great though,they tell you how much fat, fluid and muscle is in each arm, leg and abdomen along with your mineral level and what 'type' of obesity you have etc... 'they were expensive'! $500AUD ($404USD)... Would it be safe to stand on them as scales without picking up the handles and doing the scan?

Thanks again you are SOOOO helpful

Last edited by Cherished1; June 1st, 2009 at 12:25 AM.
June 1st, 2009, 03:30 AM
Okay, here is what I'm getting for your calorie needs, based on your lean body mass, activity level, and being pregnant. This is not a weight loss plan, but a healthy consumption plan so that you don't gain too much but still provide everything you and the baby need.

Non-Exercise Days
1525 to 1830 calories per day
229 to 275 grams of carbs
95 to 114 grams of protein
25 to 31 grams of fat

Exercise Days
1825 to 2130 calories per day
274 to 320 grams of carbs
114 to 133 grams of protein
30 to 36 grams of fat

After the baby is born, we can re-evaluate it based on your goals, breastfeeding, etc. to achieve weight loss.

June 1st, 2009, 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablepearl View Post
I don't think that 1200 cals is enough for a pregnant woman. You may be right about your metabolism being too slow because you don't eat enough calories. Maybe using pregnancy to help reset your metabolism would be a good idea. Allow yourself to eat the normal amount of calories for your heigh/weight for maintenance. Then when you have the baby you can reduce your calories by 500 a day and should be able to lose weight quickly. If you really did slow your metabolism by eating too little then after baby you will have even more difficulty losing the baby weight, since it will be impossible for you to safely reduce your calories more.

I personally wouldn't do it. I tried very hard during my last pregnancy not to gain too much weight. At the time of his delivery I only gained about 1-2 pounds (24 weeks gestation). Now I wonder if he was stillborn because I didn't provide him with enough nutrition. I was eating about 1600 calories a day, but during the first trimester I was exercising 5-6 times a week, after that about 3 times a week.
You're right, 1200 calories isn't right for all pregnant women. But honestly, the typical "diet" recommendations out there of 1200, 1500, whatever one size fits all calorie recommendations, are usually wrong for everyone. So is the subtract 500 calories a day. Each individual is different and has to eat according to what their body is burning. 1200 calories is the low end of a normal eating plan for someone her size, but not while they are pregnant or breastfeeding, etc. To subtract 500 calories a day would throw her into starvation mode and actually cause body fat gain. Basically, when you are doing a calorie workup, you have to get a range based on activity level and body composition and then subtract no more then 20% of that amount. If you go too low it will definitely cause problems. So, you could be right about not eating enough during your last pregnancy. I'm so sorry for your loss.

June 1st, 2009, 04:48 PM
THANKS SO MUCH TONYA! I will drop in from time to time to let you know how I am going I did another workout yesterday and it was great. Whilst I am not going to be "counting my calories" on paper I pretty much know what everything is due to doing it in the past... so I will be just doing it roughly in my head... I joke to my friends that I am a walking calorie counter Thanks again!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search