Learning to get good foods.....

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2009, 09:20 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
that you don't usually like.

Alright, I've got to be one of the fussiest eaters I know (other than my father). For the most part I just don't like things that are good for me. Give me a bowl of special K, and I'll ruin them with sugar because I can't take the blandness at all. Give me a bowl of oatmeal and I'll skip breakfast.

I know a lot of people have issues with texture, I know I'm one of them. I don't like soggy foods, so cereal with milk can be a disaster for me if I can't swallow the bowl whole, cereals like weetabix are a no no. I can't even eat oatmeal because of the texture.

I was having a conversation last night with some coworkers and one of them asked me "Can you eat oatmeal cookie dough before you bake it?" I sat and thought for a moment and thought.. yes, I can. Her suggestion was buy sweeter oatmeal (oh my poor sugars, thank god they're naturally super low) and mix them with less water or milk than it calls for, so it's like oatmeal cookie dough minus the egg and sugar. That I can do......i think

Does anyone have any suggestions for good foods for the picky eater? I have a few foods that are an absolute no no. Spinach and Arugula (allergic ), mushrooms, exotic veggies, seafood (I have my faves, but they're limited), raisins and dried fruit. Editing to add: I also don't like my green peppers etc.. cooked, I can only eat them raw.

June 8th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It doesnt sound like you are a picky eater at all to me? There are some easy ways to make your diet more healthy.

1. Only shop the outside isles at the grocery (if its the same where you are as it is in the U.S.) all the whole, healthy foods are on the outer isles- like fresh produce, meats, grains, dairy.

2. Use non or low fat dairy.

3. Remove all red meat and pork from your diet- live on fish, chicken and turkey.

4. Have a fruit and veggie with every meal/snack- make those the largest portion you eat.

5. Eat 5-6 small meals a day.

6. Dont buy any packaged/convenience foods they are full of added salt, sugar, preservatives, ect.

7. Watch your portions, weigh and measure everything.

As for some good foods- yogurt or cottage cheese and fresh fruit and a piece of whole grain toast with organic peanut butter on it is great for breakfast. Or, make plain oatmeal and add honey, cinnamon and fresh fruit to it. Lunches can be a sandwich made with whole grain bread, fat free or reduced fat cheese, fresh deli meat or leftover meat from the previous day, loads of veggies- then add fruit, fresh chopped veggies (like a salad, carrot sticks, chopped peppers, ect), and a few baked chips or pretzels. Dinners are best with baked/broiled/grilled fish or meat, a whole grain starch (like brown rice, baked sweet potato, whole grain pasta) and a huge mound of steamed veggies with a side of fruit (like no sugar applesauce, or a fresh fruit salad). Add salt and sugar free seasonings to everything to give you variety.

Ive found once you start to eat these things, and get away from the unhealthy options, the good for you foods actually start to taste better to you. Does that make sense, did it help answer your question at all? Sorry if Im completely off base...
June 8th, 2009, 06:37 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There are no rules when it comes to food, well when it comes to what you can eat at what time of day. I like breakfast foods, but I get tired of them. So I will eat other things for breakfast too.
Lowfat cheese rolled up with low sodium ham.
cottage cheese with fruit
mini bagel pizza
whole wheat tortillas with PB&J then heated up
it is okay to only eat your veggies raw. I hate cooked carrots, but eat raw ones lik ethere is no tomorrow.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
June 8th, 2009, 06:56 PM
peacoxx's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am a big texture person! I can't stand raisin bran but i like cereal and i like raisins. I can't stand jello w/ fruit in it, can't stand it, but i love fruit and i love jello, I can eat blueberry muffins but hate blueberries (if detected) etc..

I love the special k vanilla almond cereal, doesn't get soggy it's so crunchy and has sweetness... also love quaker oat squares (brown sugar) LOOOOVE it.

Use quick oats and add splenda brown sugar. I do that and I just don't add butter. Or if you like Peanut butter use organic peanut butter in your oatmeal and eat with banana (i had this last week not bad) it takes a few bites to get used to but very good for pb lovers.

Cinnamon bread by pepperidge farm. I sometimes just toast it and spray it with i can't believe it's not butter (icbinb) or i eat with fresh strawberries. I will also lightly coat with egg beaters and pan fry it like french toast. Peanut butter toast (whole wheat/grain) w/ bananas is good.

Yogart w. fresh fruit is so much better than when i eat yogart with the nasty fruit at the bottom YUCK! then i add some kashi cereal for the 'granola' crunch.

For eggs, i know not many peole can stomach egg beaters, so sometimes i'll use one part egg beaters and one part whole egg that way it can get you adjusted to the flavor and taste. Add veggies and cheese (fat free preferred) so you can really get used to the taste.

Find a good low sodium seasoning for your food until you get used to not using salt and other sodium seasonings. Start using less and less. I also find if i cook things in tomatoes, the tomatoes give it a great flavor!

hope this helps

Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Last edited by peacoxx; June 8th, 2009 at 06:59 PM.
June 8th, 2009, 10:11 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Thanks ladies.

I have only one issue for low sodium. Low sodium seems to equal higher potassium and I'm not allowed to even reach the 100% or daily recomended intake. I'm on a birth control that can cause some issues with potassium uptake. I've already had my kidneys act up and actually shut down for 12 hours (can you say pain?) until they could flush my system of the potassium (my blood count for it was sitting 2% above normal at the time). So while I can use salt no problem, I can't use NoSalt (sodium free) because it's potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride. Does that make sense? My doctor told me to use Sea Salt, something about the sodium being less. I don't use much of it anyways... I always forget it's there.

I don't eat a lot of red meat, so it's not something I'd really have to cut out, it's actually something I treat myself with once a month or so (if that, I bought a steak 3 weeks ago and it's still frozen in my freezer). It's usually chicken and fish for me, lol, which is weird because for the most part I don't like fish (I'm a fishermans daughter.... there is such thing as too much of a good thing). At least I like the good fish, like Salmon.

My milk is 1%. Any lower and I just can't get it down, any higher and I can't get it down. And since I don't drink a lot of milk (just the 250ml in the morning with my shake) I'm probably ok with not trying to force myself to drink Skim milk.

I don't eat a lot of eggs. I like them enough, but I never buy them until I'm craving them like they're chocolate (yes, it does happen). In fact we've had some in the fridge and the only reason I used any is to make my roommate peanut butter cookies. Maybe I should actually start eating them, they're high in protein and according to my food journal from yesterday I was lacking in protein.

I guess it's just going to boil down to I'm going to have to start cooking again. Too often I take the easy way out and make something easy (like the chicken dogs I had last night for supper, I need to go back to my veggie ones). I can cook, I can cook very well.

While i'm at it, does anyone have any suggestions on how to eat while doing shift work? I often work 5pm -1am and since I'm not getting up until around 12pm or 1pm my eating schedule is all screwy (and before anyone recommends getting up earlier, I can't. I'm not the kind to come home from work and sleep, I just can't do it. I've been off 2 hours now and I'm wired for sound.) So I'm eating breakfast at 2pm, supper at 7 and dinner at 1 when I get home.... that can't be helping my diet. Should I be eating in reverse (dinner first, then something for lunch at work, and my fruit and yogurt and shake before bed?)

June 9th, 2009, 02:20 AM
peacoxx's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yeah reverse dinner or a meal shake or something. Not really sure since i haven't worked in a long time.

Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search