Lurker/intro/question

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2009, 05:47 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have lurked on this board periodically - but never jumped in anywhere. Now I have a question, and wondered if anyone here could help. I will introduce myself first.

My name is Shari and I have four children and live in Delaware. So far I have lost 90 lbs. I only have about 15 lbs to my goal. The problem is that the weight has come off relatively quickly and as a result my hair is falling out!! My doctor says that it is because losing so much weight is a shock to your body and it causes your hair to fall out and that it would subside. BUT, I am noticing significant hair loss (it's soooo much thinner!!) and gobs of hair come out when I brush/wash/ touch...LOL. I literally can clog the shower drain every time I shower. BTW - I am on a low carb/low fat diet that is monitored by a doctor with multivitamins, calcium, etc. I weigh in at the doctors office every two weeks.

I don't want to give up on weight loss - since I am so close to my goal, but don't really want to be bald either. Has anyone else who lost a lot of weight also had any hair loss? I am looking for reassurance that it will stop on it's own before I don't have any left.

Thanks for listening.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

August 3rd, 2009, 06:56 AM
Amy B.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your weightloss so far! That's great!

As for hair loss, I have had hair loss, but I am not sure if it was from having kids so close together or the weight loss. I have definitely been losing it though. I am not sure what to do about it. Does your doctor recommend any vitamins for that?

Thank you, peimum, for my beautiful siggy!

August 3rd, 2009, 07:00 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Okay, here's a question for you. Are you taking bc at all? The only time I ever had problems with hair loss like that was when I was taking the pill. I haven't taken bc pills in years now, but I lost a lot of hair when I was taking it. I'm just curious if there could be another cause besides the weight loss that you hadn't looked at. Is there anything else that has changed in your life besides the weight loss?

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
August 3rd, 2009, 07:06 AM
peacoxx's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Shari,

Welcome...great work on losing 90 lbs. I am not too sure about anyone here losing hair but here's an article i found.

Lose Weight, Not Hair!

I hope this helps...perhaps try getting some other sources of protein.

Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

August 3rd, 2009, 07:45 AM
peacoxx's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i was going to add that i started taking biotin vitamins which is supposed to help aid in hair growth/thickening (among other benefits)

Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

August 3rd, 2009, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresarunningmommy View Post
Okay, here's a question for you. Are you taking bc at all? The only time I ever had problems with hair loss like that was when I was taking the pill. I haven't taken bc pills in years now, but I lost a lot of hair when I was taking it. I'm just curious if there could be another cause besides the weight loss that you hadn't looked at. Is there anything else that has changed in your life besides the weight loss?

No, not at all. Actually not in 15 years. LOL. Hello again to you ~ I recognize you from the large families board!!

August 3rd, 2009, 01:36 PM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, your doctor won't tell you this, but add in some more carbs and fat to your diet. Whole grains are usually fortified with vitamins and minerals that will help aid in preventing that loss. And all cells of the body, including hair cells, are surrounded by cell walls made from lipids--yes, fat! You have to include your omega 3's and 6's and other EFA's in order to have a body that functions properly. Also, if you go too low in calories and add in exercise, you can cause a lot of different problems, including hair loss and amenorreha (sp?). Usually, hair loss is one of the symptoms of going too low in B vitamins, as well.
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

August 3rd, 2009, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainingWithTonya View Post
Well, your doctor won't tell you this, but add in some more carbs and fat to your diet. Whole grains are usually fortified with vitamins and minerals that will help aid in preventing that loss. And all cells of the body, including hair cells, are surrounded by cell walls made from lipids--yes, fat! You have to include your omega 3's and 6's and other EFA's in order to have a body that functions properly. Also, if you go too low in calories and add in exercise, you can cause a lot of different problems, including hair loss and amenorreha (sp?). Usually, hair loss is one of the symptoms of going too low in B vitamins, as well.

Thank you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search