Carb loading - holy cow!

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 5th, 2009, 08:46 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Okay, I should have researched this more sooner, but here I am. I went researching this finally today. I knew I needed to carb load starting at 3 days prerace, but I hadn't looked how much. Does this sound right to you? It seems like a heck of a lot of calories! I don't know if I can eat that much.

Every site I ran into said 3-5 grams of carbs per pound of body weight, with most sites going with 4.5 grams for their magic number.

So for me using my average weight of 135 that's 607 grams of carbs. That's 2428 calories in carbs! I have seen recommendations anywhere from 70% carbs to 90% carbs for the 3 days leading up to race. If I went with 70% I just don't think I can eat that much food prerace without getting sick so I don't know. That'd put me at like 3400 calories I think. I am trying not to fret about the extra weight from this as everything I have read says I will put on 3-5 pound water weight from carb loading, but it seems necessary to get through this race. Anyhow, I am trying not to freak out.

And for the girls watching the no binge challenge, not sure how to handle this one. This is sure going to feel like binging to me, but I am not planning to count it as binging. I hope that is okay with everyone.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
August 5th, 2009, 09:07 AM
peacoxx's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow that's a lot, maybe there are some supplements @ gnc that will help you drink the carbs with your water ?

here's what i found was recommended....Cytomax makes good products.
Sport Fitness - Carbs Drinks - Endurance - Pre-Workouts - Recovery

Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

August 5th, 2009, 09:11 AM
THE angry uterus
I remember back in HS the football players would eat a ton of speghetti the night before a game. Maybe you can get it from pasta?
August 5th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Sweet potatoes
don't know if you have time to order anything some sites ship super fast
http://www.gotbody.com/public/c_SPORTS_NUTRITION/v_ENERGY_GELS$2180.aspx?gclid=CJWC7u71jJwCFVRM5Qod ywE5ZA
carbboom.com - there are USA retailers here's the list of stores in Michigan that sell carb boom (i am seeing there is about 27g of carbs per drink or whatever they are)

August 5th, 2009, 09:39 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Thanks Pamala. I do have some gels already so if I need to I will resort to them. I figure I get to splurge though and get a sugared up latte tomorrow! Yeah! Some of the sites even recommended soda to get the carbs in. I'm still going to do my best to keep the fat down though and I think the night before not go too heavy because sometimes that much carbs can make me sick to my stomach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversmom View Post
I remember back in HS the football players would eat a ton of speghetti the night before a game. Maybe you can get it from pasta?
Definitely planning on pasta. They have a prerace pasta dinner so going to enjoy that.

August 5th, 2009, 10:15 AM
good deal then, enjoy enjoy! LOL

August 5th, 2009, 10:47 AM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LMAO!!! Sorry, Teresa, but I have to laugh. I thought for sure you knew all about carb loading already. Yes, those numbers do sound right. It is a lot to force in, and sodas do help but I generally recommend them right after your workout when your muscles are starving for added glycogen and they are more easily stored as glycogen.
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

August 5th, 2009, 11:02 AM
isn't gatorade-type stuff good for pre-runs?

August 5th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Gatorade is good for while you are doing a long workout to replenish lost electrolytes, but preworkout you risk overloading on sodium and potassium, which can cause some heart irregularities, so no, I don't recommend a lot of Gatorade or any other sports drink pre-race.
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

August 5th, 2009, 11:28 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainingWithTonya View Post
LMAO!!! Sorry, Teresa, but I have to laugh. I thought for sure you knew all about carb loading already. Yes, those numbers do sound right. It is a lot to force in, and sodas do help but I generally recommend them right after your workout when your muscles are starving for added glycogen and they are more easily stored as glycogen.
Thanks Tonya, well now that I have one more person validating my need to eat I think I will have some fun tomorrow getting the food in. I just wanted to be sure before I started stuffing my face with that many carbs. I mean that's a lot! I think in all fairness though I am going to pull myself out of the no binge challenge until after my race. Whether I need to/deserve to binge or not that is a ton of food in carbs and I just don't feel right participating in this challenge. I did read up and knew I needed to do 70% carbs I just didn't realize the 4.5 carbs per pound! I figure I can work on taking off any extra weight gain after the race.

I just thought of one good thing. My birthday is Friday! I can have cake now guilt free, lol.

August 5th, 2009, 12:11 PM
aha...I had read it while researching...then someone said to drink grapefruit along with it as a diuretic (personally i don't like neither 1)...never know when i decide to start running LOL

Last edited by peacoxx; August 5th, 2009 at 12:13 PM.
August 5th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Amy B.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have fun and happy early birthday!

BTW, thanks to you, I am starting the jogging process, and I plan on signing up for some 5ks in the spring/summer next year.

Thank you, peimum, for my beautiful siggy!

August 5th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have carb loaded for marathons and I have also skipped it. I couldn't tell a difference in my marathon or how I felt. The carbs (gels) during the race make more of a difference for me. Everyone is so different though.

When else do you have a reason to eat lots of yummy carbs? Enjoy them!
August 5th, 2009, 05:51 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurenj915 View Post
I have carb loaded for marathons and I have also skipped it. I couldn't tell a difference in my marathon or how I felt. The carbs (gels) during the race make more of a difference for me. Everyone is so different though.

When else do you have a reason to eat lots of yummy carbs? Enjoy them!
Lol, that's where I am at right now. I can tell a big difference for me on my long runs when I don't eat enough carbs so I think for me this could help. I can literally feel myself dragging when I skimp on it and the gels for me don't seem to help much at that point. I don't know that I need that many carbs, but I figure I'll eat as much as I can handle and hope for the best. Thanks for your encouragement. It's nice hearing from other people who have done this before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy B. View Post
Have fun and happy early birthday!

BTW, thanks to you, I am starting the jogging process, and I plan on signing up for some 5ks in the spring/summer next year.
Yeah! You know you aren't too far from me. Maybe I'll come run with you on one.

August 5th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Amy B.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresarunningmommy View Post
Lol, that's where I am at right now. I can tell a big difference for me on my long runs when I don't eat enough carbs so I think for me this could help. I can literally feel myself dragging when I skimp on it and the gels for me don't seem to help much at that point. I don't know that I need that many carbs, but I figure I'll eat as much as I can handle and hope for the best. Thanks for your encouragement. It's nice hearing from other people who have done this before.

Yeah! You know you aren't too far from me. Maybe I'll come run with you on one.
That would be cool!

Thank you, peimum, for my beautiful siggy!

August 6th, 2009, 01:36 AM
ana410ny's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
just wanted to stop by and say a quick Good luck in case I don't get back here before the race. Take lots of pictures, you are gonna kick some major bootie!!
August 6th, 2009, 05:51 AM
FYI Teresa, you do realize that for every mile you run, you burn approximately 100 calories, right. So a 26 mile race (most marathons) will burn approximately 2600 calories. Your carb numbers arent' quite that high, so you will probably not maintain any weight gained from it because you will burn that and then some during your race. So, enjoy that birthday cake, pasta, potatoes, etc.!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search