Newbie here! and questions!

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2009, 06:49 AM
...::Tiffany::...'s Avatar ~*Ginger*~
Hi! I'm Tiffany and I'm 25. I was a SAHM mommy until just last week. But anyway, lol I was 155 just before I got pregnant with my son. The smallest I had been since high school since I'm 5'6 and large chested, I was really proportioned. Wonderful time to try and get pregnant right? LoL so, anyway, I ended up being 204 the week before I had my baby and am now, 2.5 years later, sitting at a cool 185+. One of my problems is that I love food and I love convenience. We cook, but we're southern, so it's not very healthy.. and we do tend to go out a lot more than we should. But I will not and can not stick to a diet. I thought that probably I would do better with just limiting my portions. I want pizza, fine, but only once slice w/ a salad.. instead of 3 pieces with cheesesticks. see? LoL But, does that actually work? I'm rambling, sorry..

My biggest problem, though, is that I am not active. At all. I don't think I have ran a day in my life. Or at least not since I was 10. I tried pilates and would do a full 30 mins 3-4 times a week for maybe 2 weeks, then I'd stop. I would love to know a good routine to do, or maybe running? I'm not sure where to even start b/c honestly pilates is all I'd ever done and there's no cardio in that, so I wasn't sure if I'd ever see any results.. Can anyone point me to a complete beginner section of the forum, or give tips to get me started? Please? I'm really wanting to get back down to at least 150. I hate how I feel about myself right now, and I can barely keep up with my 2 year old..

August 8th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Amy B.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I think the key to sticking with a workout plan is finding something you like. I love Turbo Jam dvds. They are basically like cardio kickboxing with good music. I have also started jogging. If you search for something called "couch to 5k", you should find a nice beginners plan. Just make sure you have good running shoes. You might also make sure you have some good running music on an mp3 player too. That really helps me. You can do it! Start small and work your way up.

Thank you, peimum, for my beautiful siggy!

August 9th, 2009, 09:37 AM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I'm Tonya, one of your co-hosts and a certified personal trainer and sports nutritionist. First of all, we have an FYI sticky that gives a lot of beginner information and some workouts you can do at home. I highly recommend using Pilates or Yoga as a stretch after another workout. While I love them, you're right in that they aren't cardio. You will burn a few calories, but the biggest benefit from them is the stretching that prevents some of the soreness that comes with exercise. A complete workout program includes resistance training, cardio, and flexibility. Resistance training builds muscle (There's actually no such thing as toning, you're just building muscle in different ways.) which burns more calories at rest and helps increase bone density so that you are less likely to develop osteoporosis later in life. Cardio is the only way to burn fat, but you have to deplete your glycogen stores with either weight training or the first 20 minutes of cardio first. So, I recommend long bouts of cardio (45 minutes minimum) on non-weight training days and shorter bouts of cardio after resistance on weight training days. Flexibility should be done daily, and never when the muscles are cold because you risk tearing a muscle. So, always at least warm up before you stretch. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

August 9th, 2009, 02:28 PM
...::Tiffany::...'s Avatar ~*Ginger*~
Oh, thank you so much, ladies I'll check out those threads, Tonya. Thank you so much for the advice!

August 9th, 2009, 02:29 PM
ana410ny's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome
August 10th, 2009, 12:06 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
After my first I couldn't loose it all either. AFter my second it was easy, and my third is only 4.5months old, but I'm sorta thinking he's going the way of number 1...it is frustrating when you can't loose weight, isn't it?

August 10th, 2009, 04:36 AM
becky_mommyof4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
welcome.

I have a wicked will power problem and i jus cant eat just one lol but comeing her ei have lost 55lbs so its possiable good luck you can do this

August 11th, 2009, 05:11 AM
peacoxx's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Tiffany!

I know what you're saying! I have always loved food....in our household we didn't eat often but we did eat larger portions (my mom is asian) so we had everything with a side of rice...stir fries, fried chicken stuff like that...I only had issues with my weight growing up when i was lazy and a couch potato...so then i moved out, grew up and stopped being active. I got a car and had all these new fast food options. I started eating out and gained weight...then i lost weight using Xenedrine (when it had ephedra) and doing 15-20 minutes of tae bo...

fast forward to after i had my 2nd child...i went from 150-205...i got back down to 173...was put on birth control and gained 10 lbs within that week. It didn't help that DH had come home from overseas to visit and we ate and ate and ate....THEN i moved here to Virginia (was already in the south but now it's with DH's family) they love to eat, i love to eat....we love to go out to eat together. THen when DH was home he had odd hours, i had odd hours, we had 1 car, so mc donald's was the thing...I seemed to just get bigger and bigger, and looking worse, feeling worse and just couldn't stick to eating healthy...Finally got back up to 210 (but i think more than that) and it had been so hard to cut back on eating out (especially after church) . eating fried chicken is so easy, going to ihop and getting a loaded omelet is the best...

I had to slowly realize that while food is good, it was killing me. We are supposed to eat to live not live to eat. I realized that I could enjoy those foods occasionally, something once a week in moderation and once I started working out and seeing progress id idn't really want to sabatoge it. Yes i had some set backs, but overalll...the key is taking it 1 day at a time! It's easy to give up after you lose 10 lbs or do it for a month or so because our desire is that strong to eat those foods and we figure why can't we just eat them and still lose weight if we eat less....

I think u may be a perfect candidate for the "eat yourself thin" foods/recipes as you can eat foods that still taste just as good as the unhealthier ones u eat, but they are way better.... (sorry i rambled) LOL

Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search