Experience with pregnancy during/after weight loss?

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2009, 06:18 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So DH and I are currently TTA, although he has been using the "b" word more recently and I get the feeling a pregnancy might be somewhere in my foreseeable future. Ideally I will get to my goal before it happens (hopefully I'll be there sometime in the spring), but I'm starting to think that I would be okay with a BFP sooner than that. I feel like my new healthy habits have stuck so I'm not too worried about falling off the wagon. I have made so much progress, lost 30% of my starting weight, and my health has improved so much! I feel like I am healthy enough for pregnancy, even though I am not at my goal weight (technically I'm still in the obese category). I exercise almost every day, eat healthfully, get plenty of vitamins and tons of water and all of that good stuff. I guess I am just worried that it will be hard mentally to have to stop trying to lose weight and to actually have to gain weight (hopefully just a little, though). Has anyone lost a lot of weight and become pregnant before reaching their goal? Was it easy to get back to losing after having your baby? Were you able to maintain your healthy habits during pregnancy?

August 28th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I hope Amy B sees this, her recent baby Gabe was a surprise and shes still going strong after having him! With all the healthy habits you have formed, I really think you would stick to it while pregnant! But take time to enjoy the new you too.. being pg and having kids is AMAZING but so is having a healthy mind and body! You're still young and have lots and lots of time

August 28th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Amy B.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I see it!

I lost about 65 pounds before getting pregnant this past time, and yes, it was a surprise. Honestly, I didn't do THAT well during the pregnancy. I wasn't horrible, but I didn't exercise much because of early morning sickness and fatigue, and I ate a bit more than I should have. I ended up gaining 40 pounds, but I was seriously itching to get back on the wagon about a month before he was born. I started as soon as possible after birth (even too soon). He was born at the end of January, and I made it to my pre-pregnancy weight in about five months or so. I've lost another 5-6 pounds since then.

So, you can absolutely stay healthy and exercise while pregnant. I wish I would have kept up with it, but I didn't go completely overboard. You will probably be like me and itch to get back to it when you get close to delivery (if you do take a bit of a break).

Good luck!

Thank you, peimum, for my beautiful siggy!

August 29th, 2009, 09:00 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
My story, but trying to make a new story. I don't know if anyone here knows this, but I lost like 50 pounds after having my dd Christina. I thought I'd be good to go and never gain that much weight again. Well I gained about 10 pounds maybe 15 pounds back and was just about to get back on track and work on my weight when I found out I was pregnant with my dd Megan. I still was only in the upper 140s when I went to my first prenatal appt and thought I'd be fine. Well, I gained like 85 pounds with her and ended my pregnancy above 200 pounds. I don't remember the exact starting and ending weight any more, but I know I gained a lot. In the beginning with her I tried, but then I got further along and said screw it and started eating whatever I wanted. Then after her I just didn't care any more. I figured I was going to have more kids and gain weight every time like that so why bother trying. I had Leo next and for him I only gained like 20 pounds, but I was so heavy to start with so I am sure that played a part in things. I still didn't get on the weight loss bandwagon right after him and was still thinking I would get pregnant and get fat again so why bother. I don't know what exactly put me back on track this time, but I did eventually decide to try losing weight again.

Now, onto the second part of the story. Now here we are trying to conceive #7 and I sit here a little petrified that I will gain 80 pounds again and have to do this all over again. This time I am hoping it'll be different. I am determined for it to be different. I set out yesterday and made a plan out for my pregnancy. I made a weight gain calendar and spread it out with a healthy 30 pound weight gain plan. I mapped out how much weight I should gain each week and determined to eat healthy this next pregnancy. I know with my marathon training I had this mantra that kept me going "stick to the plan" and thinking of that made me realize that if I wanted to succeed at this I had to have a plan. I have a list of exercises I can do that should be safe during pregnancy. I am planning to run, but if running becomes too much I will walk or swim. I also planning to monitor my weight more closely this time around and not just weigh in at my doctor's appt. Another thing that is motivating me is I had gestational diabetes with Leo. He wound up being over 10 pounds and had quite a few problems the first few weeks of life including being in the hospital for 4 days for significant weight loss. I plan to follow a GD diet and monitor my blood sugars regardless of the diabetes test results. I know I am really high risk for GD anyways. Anyhow, this has gotten long. (Oh one more thing, I am planning to start a group on the new social groups here for fit pregnancy once I get pregnant although I am debating on starting it sooner since it's something I really want to do. I figure that'd help us future preggos keep our goals.)

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search