Need help/advice on postpartum weight loss

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2013, 07:34 AM
boysarebest's Avatar Veteran
Hi ladies I hope I can get some help on postpartum weight loss. I just had my 3rd baby April 2. I was in the best shape if my life before this pregnancy. I ended up gaining about 40 lbs which was similar to my other 2 pregnancies. I lost 20 lbs but am struggling to lose the last 20lbs. I am nursing so I can't take any supplements to assist with weight loss. I have been eating a strict diet, very few carbs, no dessert or sweets, no fast food or chips, etc. I have been jogging about 2-3 miles about 4 times a week after I was cleared to start working out again by my dr. In those past 2 weeks I have lost only 1.5lbs!!! What am I doing wrong?? I have been crying at least once a day over this and am starting to get depressed even to the point where I am considering stopping nursing to see if that will get the weight off. I can't fit into any of my clothes and it just seems that I am working so hard to get no results. My baby will be 8 weeks old and with my other 2 boys it came off so much faster and i never dieted. Could there be some other underlying problem such as a thyroid issue? Should I be doing something different or getting blood work done? Could it be that nursing is letting the weight on this time for some reason? I just hate that this is consuming me and my time when I should be enjoying my baby but feel so discouraged because if the way I look. I am 36 and have been an athlete my whole life so I've never weighed more than 115 lbs. I am probably the most active person I know yet I watch other moms just lose the weight by sitting around and doing nothing it's so hard! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
May 26th, 2013, 08:45 AM
HeatherLopez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you eating enough??? Too much restricting and overworking can have the opposite effect on your body. My suggestion would be to make a meal plan ( I use myfitnesspal.com) make sure you are getting MINIMUM 1200 calories a day. Also, don't completely cut out carbs. Your body needs them for fuel, especially if you're a runner. Try good carbs like sweet potatoes and nuts.
May 26th, 2013, 10:21 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
When I lose weight I am the same way. It comes off very slowly. I usually lose about half a lb a week. I think you are losing weight at a good pace and are being too hard on yourself.

You could try adding in some strength training. That can help rev up your metabolism.

Visit us at the Am I Pregnant board.
Are you trying to lose weight or get in shape? Stop by the Mommy Fitness board and say hello.

***Find me on Facebook!***
May 26th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
First, cut yourself a little slack, it's only been 8 weeks. And 1.5lbs in 2 weeks is still a good steady loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLopez View Post
Are you eating enough??? Too much restricting and overworking can have the opposite effect on your body. My suggestion would be to make a meal plan ( I use myfitnesspal.com) make sure you are getting MINIMUM 1200 calories a day. Also, don't completely cut out carbs. Your body needs them for fuel, especially if you're a runner. Try good carbs like sweet potatoes and nuts.
Definitely try tracking your food and see how much you're eating vs what you're burning, eating too little makes your body think you're starving it and it's going to want to hold onto everything.

I do have to disagree about the carbs part. Your body doesn't need carbs for fuel, not even if you're active. I eat 20g or less a day.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

May 26th, 2013, 11:40 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
You could be cutting out too much, so your nursing body has shut down your weight loss because it needs everything to produce milk.

Do I think you should stop nursing to lose weight? No

Do I think maybe you should see a nutritionist who knows a lot about lactation? yes.

Remember, you need to eat what your body needs PLUS what your baby needs (which is several hundred extra calories). If you don't, you're in starvation mode, and not everyone gets thin when they starve themselves. Right now your body is doing what it is designed to do, Nurse. That is what you are biologically programmed to do. Do your best, and eventually the weight will come off.

May 26th, 2013, 01:32 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I agree with the other ladies. You are losing at a good steady pace, and it is really easy to eat too little when you're trying to lose weight- especially while BFing.
May 26th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Agreed. I am breastfeeding and lost 50lbs by the time DS was 6 months...30lbs of that in 3 months. I used myfitnesspal and added 500 calories a day for breastfeeding and the weight melted off. I didn't even add much exercise other than walking until I hit that 50lbs.

Good luck!
Surprise baby! due 3/27/2017

Save
Save
Save
May 27th, 2013, 10:38 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with everyone on checking to make sure you are eating enough. Also, don't be so hard on yourself. You didn't gain the weight overnight so try to remember it isn't going to come off overnight either. You will get there! It might just take a little more time this time than you want it to.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

May 28th, 2013, 10:13 AM
boysarebest's Avatar Veteran
Thanks for the advice ladies. I am thinking about seeing a nutritionist that i can consult with on the best plan for me. I also was researching online and found the honey/cinnamon diet. I am sure it doesnt work but i figured it cant hurt to try since it is natural and wont affect breastmilk!
May 28th, 2013, 11:49 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
A woman can burn about 500 calories a day nursing add your exercise calories to that and that is what you should be eating back plus your normal "everyday" calories.....have you tried out myfitnesspal.com?? If not I would highly suggest it and like the other ladies said cut yourself some slack....as the saying goes it takes 9 months to gain the weight and 9 months to loose it.....try not to force it and just eat right, enough and keep working out

Kristy, wife to Karl 6.16.01, Mom to Raianna 12.7.00, Elyse 12.3.02 and Helena 7.20.07, step-mom to Frankie 7.3.97 and step-grandma to October 3.9.15

May 28th, 2013, 02:09 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am also breastfeeding and I wonder if you are eating enough. You might be restricting your diet too much and your body is holding onto that extra weight to help with the nursing. I joined weight watchers after I had my last baby last April because I was having a hard time losing the weight and it has been wonderful. I lost all of my baby weight pretty quickly and I have been maintaining ever since. You might want to check it out. I think it is a great way to lose weight the healthy way.

don't beat yourself up and please don't stop breastfeeding your LO. Breastmilk is so great for those little guys if your able to continue to do, I would.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search