The Latest on Gustav

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, it's looking good for my cruise, but BAD for my state. "sigh" I didn't wish this on anyone, but really wanted it to stay away from us this time. Part of me almost thought it would be better to go to the Carnival site and find that my cruise was just cancelled altogether. It's just so hard to travel South on Sunday or Monday when everyone else is getting the heck out of there. Plus, it just feels wrong to go out and have a good time when others are suffering. I know if I were home that I would just be here, but still.. If not for the oil spill a few weeks ago, our cruise would have been leaving out of New Orleans, which would have made it a "for sure" cancellation. We had already decided that if they contacted us to say that the cruise was shortened that we would take the full refund that they offer, however, it it doesn't change at all, we have no choice but to go. If we don't go, we would lose all of our money.
So.........that's that. Shelters are opening up all around our city, and my FIL is right in the middle of it all. My BIL works for State Farm and was sent home to rest before getting sent out after the hurricane. We are watching Hannah and hoping and praying that she just stays away!!!!!!!
Jeff and I have decided that we will probably go ahead and drive down on Sunday night to avoid the evacuation traffic that could possibly hold us up on Monday. The port that we are cruising from is out of the cone of the hurricane...should be absolutely fine there as long as Gustav doesn't decide to turn. We'll see!
August 30th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We're watching NOAA closely since Jamie may need to make a quick (ha, ha as if a 16 hour drive was quick) down to New Orleans to get phone connectivity set up since he does the phones for DHS (customs and border protection).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 30th, 2008, 06:07 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't feel guilty. It isn't your fault. I remember when Katrina hit I saw the first footage of the devastation in New Orleans while laying in my hospital bed waiting for my youngest to be born. Talk about feeling guilty. I felt so bad to be getting such a blessing on the same day that so many were suffering. Don't beat yourself up. Go, and have fun for the ones who can't!

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 30th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Don't feel guilty enjoy your trip.

August 30th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Ack... it's a cat 4 now and going slightly faster. We went and got Jamie bottled water and non-perishable snacks to take just in case he has to go... and it's likely he'll have to go.

Enjoy your cruise. Whether you are sitting watching the weather channel or not Gustav will hit LA.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 30th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks everyone!
Our biggest problem now as far as the cruise is getting to our port with all of the traffic contraflow. We have an alternative route, but it still makes us nervous. We will go down on Sunday night for sure. I can't stand to think of sitting in traffic somewhere thinking about our ship pulling out without us!!
The thing that is scary to me right now...as far as being so close to the storm...is the possibility of tornados in the surrounding area.
Okay....I guess I am not going on a vacation here...I'm going on an ADVENTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will we schedule a cruise during hurricane season again.......yep, most likely.
August 30th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Have fun! Just be careful...they are expecting Gastav to become VERY strong once it hits the golf...

</div><div align="center"></div>
August 31st, 2008, 03:47 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey, you never know with weather! Just be in prayer...but enjoy your time of joy. To every thing there is a season....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search