I have time...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 1st, 2008, 06:48 PM
jenniferleighxo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi,

My name is Jennifer- I am married to Dan and Mother to Evan Daniel, who will be 3 in December and Ryleigh who is 13 months old. I have thought about homeschooling, ever since Evan was born. What are the pro & con's? What made you decide to homeschool? What questions should I be asking myself? Any/All advice is welcomed!

</div><div align="center">

</div>
September 2nd, 2008, 04:00 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Those are big questions lol

Pros - SOOO many. Getting to be with your kids all the time, getting to customize the education, kids learn better in smaller class sizes (and what could be better than one-on-one or two-on-one)

Cons - being with your kids all the time, takes a lot of time

I homeschool my kids because I was homeschooled and loved it.

Not sure what you mean by what questions you should be asking yourself.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 2nd, 2008, 06:00 AM
Thanks for your reply. Those would def. be advantages. I went to a private school, so I never experienced the homeschooling. Although, I think it would be much more affordable to homeschool, and for our kids to have religion as part of their education, instead of spending the money sending them elsewhere.

How do they socialize with other kids? That's a big one for me. I am pretty sure the town has sports, but are there other activities they can do to engage with other children their age?

I talked to Dan, my husband about it last night. And we both agreed it is not too early to start thinking about it, as I feel it would be a huge choice to make!

I already started a "Hooked on Phonics" Toddler Program with Evan and he just seems so receptive to listening and learning from what we teach him. I love it.

</div>
September 2nd, 2008, 06:13 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Socialization is really a non-issue, though everyone brings it up. In reality school is not for socializing it's for learning, but to hear the public schoolers talk about homeschoolers you'd think the exact opposite. There are tons of opportunities to be around people and not just in organized activities (which are some of the worst times for socializing since they should be doing something specific rather than talking to each other).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 2nd, 2008, 06:31 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
This is our first year homeschooling my oldest. He started in public school and because of his ADHD, had a really hard time behaviorally. He never struggled academically, but behaviorally, he was always getting the short end of the stick. Now that I have him home, I realized that there were a lot of gaps in his public school education. Even though he is bright - was being tested for the G&T program when we left school - his spelling is terrible, his writing is totally undeveloped and even things like using a capital letter to start every sentence is not ingrained as it should be by this age (9). Also, my oldest and I have not always had the *best* relationship. I was young when I had him and he went to daycare and I worked like a work-a-holic for most of his early life. Now that he is older, I am seeing issues with his attitude toward me. After we started homeschooling, Bryce and I started to grow closer. We are learning to understand each other better and it is making a big difference for our relationship as well!

My little one was just a natural homeschooler. He hated preschool at the church we tried sending him to and is doing so well. He would not have started Kindergarten in ps due to his age until NEXT year. Well, he is reading, writing well, counting as high as he can count, and so on. Holding him back just because of his age would have really hindered him for no good reason. Besides, I LOVE having him at home and don't want him to go to school anyway!

Another perk was that when my mom hurt her arm and I had to travel 3 hours to see her in the hospital, I took my oldest with me. If he were in ps, I could not have done that. He loved having perfect attendance and it would have upset him way too much to miss two or three days of school. Our schedule revolves around our family and not the public school system.

My kids also get to do neat things they would have never gotten to do if they were in school for 8 hours a day - for instance my oldest is starting Karate with the co-op at 1:30...when the ps kids are still in school. We also get to go to the park when it is totally deserted!

Cons - no free time and it is tough to keep the house as clean as I like with school taking a lot of the day for us (we start at 9 or 9:30 and end at 1pm or so with the oldest). There is a lot of planning and organization (for the curriculum and style I use - some are less so) and it can get daunting if you let it get in front of you.

The only thing I would really ask you to consider is whether or not this decision is something your dh is 100% behind. When he isn't, it can make things a million times harder.

For now, I would read every homeschooling book I could get my hands on and learn as much as you can while your kids are still small. There is a learning curve that comes with time, practice, and research and knowing NOW that you want to hs can really save you a lot of catching up later on.

Best of luck to you!
September 2nd, 2008, 06:57 AM
Thanks so much for the info!

I will be looking into books, to get all the knowledge I can! And yes, DH is 100% supportive.

I really, can't see sending them to school! And, I feel like, just in the first 2 years, I have taught them so much and have had a ball doing it. Those are some really great pro's, and the con's, I feel like the pro's outweigh them!

</div>
September 2nd, 2008, 09:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
"Our schedule revolves around our family and not the public school system. "

I love this! This is how I feel too. I started off homeschooling my kids for academic reasons. But I've come to love it for the closeness and freedom it brings to our family.

Have fun researching. There are so many good books and websites out there.

And welcome to the board! Please stick around and post often.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
September 2nd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
to the board.

The pros list really could go on and on. I just love that I'm able to be the biggest influence in my children's life. They have a taylor made curriculum to suit their needs at the time. The public school system just can not accomodate the amount of students they have in that way. We go by our schedule and do whatever, whenever we want.

Cons: I have to agree with Heather here. I'm with my kids ALL of the time. I have a wonderful husband that is a BIG help, but I still have those moments where I would love some peace and quiet.

Doug and I prayed about this and knew this was the right decision for our family. We reallly wouldn't have it any other way.

As for socialization, this gets hairy, but like it has been said before, public school socialization isn't real life or even real at all for that matter. My children have never been in a daycare setting and they are no less socialized than my nephews that have been in a daycare from 8 weeks old. The only difference is that my kids still have that innocence and my nephews are a little more grown up for their age. Did that make sense?

Hope you enjoy your homeschool journey.

September 5th, 2008, 10:02 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!

The ladies here have already put things so well.

Homeschooling my children has really given me an insight into them that I KNOW I wouldn't have had if we were crazy busy with a ps schedule and the nightly struggle with homework that I see all of my friends going through. They wouldn't love learning, none of their public schooled friends do. And I wouldn't have the time to play and learn with them. To become a little girl each day, if I was working and they were in school.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search