I watched a movie and had a revelation LOL

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 7th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Mr Holland's Opus...Have you seen this movie? It's an older one, but I watch it everytime it comes on one of the cable stations. I remember watching it when it first came out on cable, so probably 10 or so years ago, and I've always liked it and it's one that will tug at your heartstrings. I watched it a couple of nights ago. I really watched it like I'd never seen it before b/c different parts of the movie just rubbed me the wrong way. I actually laughed and was like Yep, I'm officially a mom, Yep, I'm officially an adult, and Yep, I'm officially a HOMESCHOOLER!! It was sort of a turning point for me! Well, not truly, but you know what I mean. Parts of the movie affected me so differently than the young woman that watched the movie so many times before. Mainly, about the topic with school. There was a part where they wanted to cut the budgets and their excuse was "We have a responsibility to the Board of Education!" Ok, so I know this isn't based on a true story, but isn't this true today?? Aren't these schools more worried about passing these darn tests to please the "Board of Education" rather than nurturing the minds and TEACHING the children?!?!? Mind you this movie is basically about trying to take the arts and music from schools, but it's about the point being made. Shouldn't the educators responsibility be to the CHILDREN?!?! Mr. Holland goes before the board when they finally cut his job as a music teacher, and basically tells them they are going to bring up a generation of brainless people who can't think! I can't help but wonder what this generation of the "No Child Left Behind" students will turn out like. It's really heartbreaking.

It still cracks me up that this stuff is what stuck out to me in this movie. It really made me thankful that Doug and I have taken our children's education into our own hands and our responsibility for their education is to THEM and not some board of people that could give a rats patoot about my sweet boys!!!

Ok, I'm done. Thanks for letting me ramble!!

September 7th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Haha! Gotta love it when a movie gets ya all riled up like that. It is interesting to see how a movie can seem so different looking at it through parent eyes compared to the days before we had kids.
But you're right. I guess it's like anything else- they want to please the one's who are holding their jobs in their hands- not the kids who are depending on them for a real education.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
September 8th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk

I can't remember anything about that movie.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search