Dropping like flies

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2008, 08:34 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
3 of my HSing friends have put or will be putting their kids in school this week/next week. I swear they are dropping like flies..my HSing group is almost nearly defunct now.. it's unreal!
September 11th, 2008, 09:18 AM
mystimay's Avatar Queen LaClotha
Really? what is possessing them to make the change? I'd just as soon fall over dead at this point LOL

September 11th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Weird. I wonder why so many are sending them to public school.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 11th, 2008, 09:49 AM
One friend said " it's easier" .. her oldest is 12 and then she has 6,4, and 2 and schooling the other is easier now..

One said they were "sheltering" their 6 year old too much so off to school with him

the other didn't say anything.

I guess for me it's just all weird.. but whatever right?
September 11th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Weird. While I've had that sneaking thought of putting mine in school a couple of times, I come back to my senses pretty quickly.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

September 11th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Yeah..I've thought of it..cus yeah it would be easier on me to ship them all off all day and let it be someone else's responsibility...
September 11th, 2008, 01:31 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We all think it! We are human mothers!

You have to be in this for so many different reasons for it to stick! I have a friend who homeschooled for kinder and after that she sent them to school. It works for them, most of the time. But now he comes home with 6 worksheets a night and he is so stressed out!

I think lack of support and hearing enough of those "phrases" from others is what is helping sway those parents too.

And like everything, we start out with a bang and then sizzle for various reasons.

September 11th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hey, Alison, can you go to carriec's thread "Please help me learn about homeschooling" and tell her what the laws are in MA? It's always better to get it from someone in the trenches rather than relying on HSLDA's interpretation (since that can sometimes be a little off).

Smaller on the Outside

September 11th, 2008, 02:57 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well just because they decided now to send them to ps doesn't mean they can't change there minds and bring them home again.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
September 11th, 2008, 04:45 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
I am sure every homeschooling parent thinks of it now and again. I have...but when it comes down to it, there would have to be an emergency type situation for me to EVER put them in ps (like if I am on my death bed!)
September 11th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow!

Of course I've thought about it. Then I talk to my SIL whose daughter is the same age as Eathan and started K this year in ps. She's already bringing home homework and we've been in school LESS THAN A MONTH!!! RIDICULOUS! I just couldn't put my little man through it. Then Doug mentioned today that he felt bad for her b/c Eathan had already done his studies for the day and was outside playing and she was still stuck at school.

September 11th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That is sad. If you have done it for so many years, why stop now?!

</div><div align="center"></div>
September 12th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I got to listen to 3 moms going on and on about how much homework their 7 and 8 year olds have and yada yada, the schools are bad etc.. then they asked me and I was like, sorry no clue, we homeschool and it takes me about an hour and ahalf a day total ( for Declan).. well all of a sudden the schools were the place to be..not at home @@.. it's like Whatever people!
September 12th, 2008, 05:28 AM
I've had that happen to me, too, Alison. They go on and on about how much they hate dealing with the schools and what not and as soon as my opinion is asked and I say we homeschool suddenly the old "well, our schools are the 9th best in the nation!" comes out and suddenly school is the best thing since sliced bread. I always just simply reply about the 9th best in the nation thing "Yes, they are. On paper." (our school system is not mainstreamed and they work very, very hard to prevent certain kids who would be lower scoring from having to take the SOLs and be counted - very sad)

Smaller on the Outside

September 12th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Yeah..people are amusing. Then I get the whole.. well don't your kis have to take the same tests ( MCAS) or anything..I'm like nope, no fill in a circle for my kids. Then it's like..wow then how do you know they know what they should..I'm like.. well I simply talk to them @@.. Then I mention that Noah always got perfect or near perfect scores on those stupid MCAS tests.. that when we moved the school we left was sad to see hom go because of his TEST SCORES.. but yet I p[ulled him out at the end of 6th grade and some of the stuff the kid didn't know was unreal.. but man could he take a good test @@
September 12th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I just love when people ask me how I can know what my kids know if I don't test them. Like the tests tell what they actually know. Nope, they tell me if they are good at taking tests or not. But daily one/two-on-one school sure tells me what my kids know!

I also really love when people start saying stuff about socialization and how homeschoolers are so isolated and what not whole we're sitting at a public park and my kids are playing normally with their kids. I just kind of stare at people in disbelief when they pull out that one. I often say "oh, yes, my kids are quite unsocialized" while gesturing toward them playing with other kids. Shuts people up every time. I mean it's hard to keep on with something like that when there's proof in front of them lol

Smaller on the Outside

September 12th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Exactly! I;'ve had that said to me while I have one in Karate, or in Ballet, or at the park..it's like YUP, I keep them shut up in the house can't ya tell. @@
September 12th, 2008, 07:32 AM
mystimay's Avatar Queen LaClotha
My friend and I, both homeschooling moms took our two girls who nearly share the same birthday to libby lou for a makeover of sorts (no makeup for Madi lol). And the lady was just floored by the girls, started asking them about school, and they both PROUDLY said we're homeschooled. and she said WHAT?! REALLY?! I thought all home school children were shy. Um ... that's a personality, that's not a home school trademark!

Oh, I gotta add, Madi's charter school makes her take standardized tests... I am NOT happy ... but get this... they want her to take it, and they have the rest, b/c they always score high, much higher then the ps's, and they (hs'rs) increase the state funding by providing higher standardized testing numbers!!! It's basically how this and some other charter schools in the area can remain in exsistance to fund the other schools!

September 12th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey if not for you guys Miguel would be in PS. Support I think is the big issue.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search