Newbie!!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Hi!! I am currently a WAHM of 3, 1 in 1st grade (6), 1 in pre-k (4.5), and a 2 yr old. We have been trying to decide if home schooling is right for us. What made you decide to hs?? How do you know how much time to do each day?? How do you know which curriculum to go with? How do you balance out your days??
Sorry for all the ?'s, but these are a few of the things that I am sort of struggling with on getting answers.
September 22nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!
I would first suggest that you rent as many homeschooling books from the library that you can get your hands on. That's how I figured a lot of things out and decided which approach and which curriculum I wanted to use.

How long you go each day and how many days a year is often dictated by your state's laws- here it's 180 days, 4 hours a day. Now, how do we balance out our days? We are still working on that! I think its different for everyone and in our case, it can be different every day. Depending on what we have to do that day for school and otherwise, we work everything around what's going on and try to take every opportunity to use those teachable moments that come naturally.

DH was homeschooled and he helped me gather some books to make an educated decision about it. I never even knew people did that sort of thing until I met him!

September 22nd, 2008, 09:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi I'm Lisa. DH and I teach our 6 year old at home.

What made you decide to hs?? The experiences that me and DH had in (or more accurately out) of school, low standards, and our family's personality. Plus we take long trips twice a year that wouldn't go along with school schedule
How do you know how much time to do each day?? We have to do 900 hours a year. We school year round so its 2.5 hours a day. Most of Miguel's time is free learning.
How do you know which curriculum to go with? Trial and error. Research and pick a learning style that works best for you and yours, then choose secular or religious. Once you found a couple that sound interesting find there reviews and pick the best.
How do you balance out your days?? We just fit whatever we can.

September 23rd, 2008, 02:43 AM
Momma Jo's Avatar Monsters Ed
Welcome to the board. I'm Jolene, mom to Duncan (6), Corbin (17 mo) and Kate-Lynne due in Feb 09. We are from South Africa, soon to be immigrating to New Zealand/Australia (we haven't quite decided which one yet, LOL).

What made you decide to hs??
Duncan (my eldest) has a genetic disorder which will probably lead to teasing in school. I decided a long time ago that I wanted to homeschool him. It took 3 years to convince my SO.
How do you know how much time to do each day??
I have allocated about 2.5 to 3 hours a day. Depending on how long it takes him to complete a task. I also have a break inbetween. We only start offically homeschooling in December when Duncan finishes our equivalent of Kindy in November.
How do you know which curriculum to go with?
After allot of research I finally decided on the Clonard system. Its a South African based curriculum which suits us to a tee, esp since some of our words are spelt different. I didn't what to have to explain to him that we spell, eg, colour differently. I wanted to have him start off with UK english spelling instead of having to back track everytime he spells something differently to what we do down here.
How do you balance out your days??
I have a maid who cleans my home, so I dont really have to worry about anything except homeschooling and stimulating (soon to be) 2 little ones.
September 23rd, 2008, 05:28 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I decided to homeschool my kids well before I had any kids. I was homeschooled and loved it so much. We live in an incredibly good school district (9th best in the country they'll tell you - at least on paper...), but homeschooling my kids is so right for us.

Focused school is usually right around 2 hours a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. We use Sonlight (core, bible, electives, science, and language arts) plus ARTistic Pursuits, Song School Latin, and Math-U-See and that's how long it takes each day to get through the assignments. Ani is 8 (3rd grade) and Cameron is almost 7 (1st grade). We also do random other stuff like watching TV shows downloaded from iTunes or working on lapbooks at other times of the day.

We tried a few things before settling on Sonlight. It's what works best for my kids' learning styles (specifically my almost 7 year old's).

We have a general schedule we follow for the whole day and for the school day we go with (pretty much) the outline Sonlight gives us.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 23rd, 2008, 06:19 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What made you decide to hs?? In all honesty it was not at all my idea. DH came to me with the idea when I was still pg with number 1. I thought he was crazy, but through my own research, and now experience I wouldn't have it any other way. Our main reason would be how bad the school system is around here. If I ever did put them in school in would be private, or we would move first. I also want to be the one to raise my kids, not have some teacher and 30 of their peers do it.

How do you know how much time to do each day?? It all depends upon how fast your child picks things up. We average about 2 hours of real seat work, but that is only bc Talen is a slow poke. After that we read, play on the computer, etc, which I consider all a part of their education. I think Talen learns more from building his legos stuff than he does from his book work sometimes.

How do you know which curriculum to go with? I think Miguelsmom gave the best answer. Trial and error it is for us. I use the Classical Schooling method that is outlined in a book called, "The Well Trained Mind". I don't always use their suggestions for books, etc though. YOu just have to work with your kids and figure out what their learning style is and go from there.

How do you balance out your days?? I try to start our lessons not later than 9:30. That way our bookwork is generally finished by lunch. Then after lunch we do our piano practice, reading a loud, etc. Our day is usually over completely by 1pm.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
September 23rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi and Welcome to the board! Good luck in your decision. It's a big one!

We decided to pull our kids out of public school because we didn't care for the education they were getting. My oldest kids are gifted and just weren't getting anything out of being in a school that mostly catered to the kids who are "behind." I knew that at home, I could customize their learning to meet their needs/wants. I can make it as advanced as they want it to be or slow down when they need/want to slow down. There were other reasons too. Wanting a less hurried lifestyle is one. Wanting an even closer family is another. And not wanting to be a slave to the public school schedule/rules/fees/etc is still another. There is a wonderful Freedom that comes with homeschooling.

We spend more time than others I think. Our day lasts about 4 hours, but that includes preK, Kindergarten, 4th grade, and Junior High. The youngest kids probably only do schoolwork for a little over an hour.

I agree with getting lots of library books on the subject. Then just sit down with a cup of coffee and read and make mental notes about whatever strikes your fancy- something will. Then look up those things online.

Have fun researching! And keep asking us questions.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search