Changing math ...again

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2008, 11:59 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
Scotty is about to finish his Calvert K math (by the end of October unless we go faster than expected which has actually happened twice now)...in less than 3 months total. What a waste that was!

Since Bryce is also doing Calvert math, I think it is safe for me to say that I absolutely do not like it. Bryce is on Lesson 34 (out of 160) and they have yet to cover two digit multiplication, much less division! It is coming, but first they take a hiatus and teach them statistics and chart making skills. ??? I guess what I don't like is the strange and non-cohesive layout of the program. It seems to jump around. Bryce is more than ready to start learning two digit multipliers and today he was asking me why he didn't know how to do division yet when some of his friends in ps already do!

So...*duh duh duh duh* I have decided to switch Scotty to Singapore Math. Since I started thinking of homeschooling, I had wanted to use Singapore, but talked myself out of it more than once thinking I couldn't teach it. Now, I am getting this feeling that I can do anything I set my mind to and we are going to give it a go. At first, I didn't like the number bonds idea, but now that it makes sense to me, I really like the concept.

I am not sure what to do about Bryce's math. I tested him today for Singapore and he tested STARTING in book 3A. I don't mind the 3 in front of it...I have well gotten over that by now (even though Scotty, if he keeps on like he is now and doesn't get lost somewhere, will be in 3A at the end of 2nd grade). The problem I have is whether or not I should ditch the Calvert after paying so much for it and just start 3A or if I should plug along with Calvert for now, finish out the year, test Bryce again (hoping he moved up at least a level) and start Singapore next year with him?

I could probably sell the Calvert math book for a good price - but we have done a lot of the lessons in the practice book, so that will bring down my price some. It is also the NEW math book, so I assume some people will see it and think I am lying and it isn't really 4th grade! LOL

So...what would you do??

P.S. Just a disclaimer...SWITCH TO MUS is not an option! LOL
September 28th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We love Singapore here! Miguel will be in 2b at the end of October and that's after a tough year finding a math program that worked for him, last year last april he couldn't figure out the diffrence between 01 and 10. I would order it and give them a math break until it comes. I would start now because I've heard it's extremely hard to switch in later grades. I just get the workbooks but that's enough for Miguel. I'll warn you Miguel seems to go threw a book every two months. It seems to easy and quick but when you think about it what they are learning it's advanced math at a young age. He spends about 5-10 mins a day on an activity a day. I would go with the 3A to build confidence. It's a new concept!

A lot of parents don't like that it's more word problems then math problems but that can easily be modified with adding a one minuet drill test http://www.tlsbooks.com/timedmathdrillworksheets.htm but I find it a plus. As he gets into higher levels it seems to become more of a regular math problems but he's still in a young level. The standards version goes faster then the US version. Some people use miquon math with it but I haven't yet we're debating to add to it.

September 28th, 2008, 04:45 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Rebecca I just knew you would have a MUS disclaimer in there!

If we hadn't gone with MUS then Singapore was next on my list.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
September 28th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I say switch him now- the less pain he goes through with math the better in my opinion, and going through concepts he may already have a handle on will give him confidence while also introducing him to the new format.

September 28th, 2008, 06:09 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
OMGosh - Jo! How funny! I finally found a math that you would have used too! LOL This is just such a pro MUS board...I hate to leave out my disclaimer.

Haha!

Here is an example of how dumb Calvert is. Tuesday, Bryce is supposed to start working on multiplying by two digit numbers. Then, the next 6 lessons are on making bar graphs, line graphs, and GET THIS - finding the mean, median, mode, and range. Okay, fine, right?? But here is the kicker. How do you all find the median??? Well, I find it by taking the choices given, adding them together and then DIVIDING by the number of total choices. DIVISION. How in the world does Calvert expect this to make sense to a child when they haven't even yet INTRODUCED division??????????????????? OMG!

Oh - Lisa - I am glad Miguel is loving Singapore!!! I am actually totally in favor of the word problems. Today, as we were taking the test for 3A, Bryce was coming to me with the word problems. They were simple enough, but required more than one step each time. We had one where you had to subtract 16 pounds from one person's weight to get that of another person, then add the two weights together and multiply by two in order to get the 3rd person's weight. In that one problem, we used 3 of the 4 basic math functions! I love it!
September 30th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Love your disclaimer... though you really never did give MUS a real chance (i.e. never bought all the parts). Good luck with Singapore.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

October 1st, 2008, 04:38 AM
HeatherHomeschools's Avatar Veteran
We like Singapore Math. I'm using 3A right now with my 10yo. I am having to supplement with other stuff. But I'm also not using the homeschool guide either. I have it for 3B but not 3A because I'd just plan on using 3A to review.

*thanks to 3Daughters for the new siggy
October 1st, 2008, 04:39 AM
HeatherHomeschools's Avatar Veteran
Can't edit ...moderation and all that.
But I wanted to add, I would switch now. I've found I have no qualms with switching programs mid-stream if it might make things clearer, less frustrating for them. I've already switched almost all of my 14yo's curriculum.

*thanks to 3Daughters for the new siggy
October 1st, 2008, 02:13 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
I am doing Singapore with Miquon. You can go to the singapore site, Jennifer Horest came up with a cool "schedule" for using the two together. http://www.singmath.com/SM_Miquon.htm

Also, I am using CWP 2 and Intensive Practice 3A. That way, we do lots of everything.
October 1st, 2008, 03:39 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
How do you all find the median??? Well, I find it by taking the choices given, adding them together and then DIVIDING by the number of total choices. DIVISION. How in the world does Calvert expect this to make sense to a child when they haven't even yet INTRODUCED division??????????????????? OMG![/b]
Ok that is stupid.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search