Flat Stanley

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2008, 07:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've tried to sign up for Flat Stanley projects on several other homeschool sites now and it just never works out for whatever reason.

Would anyone be willing to do this with me here? I know you guys the best anyways, and I think it would be interesting to learn about a day in your life through Stanley- especially since all your blogs are so interesting anyways. It would be a neat way for our kids to get to "know" each other. We wouldn't have to do it formally or for educational purposes necessarily. Everyone could do as much or as little as they wanted. Anyone?

If you don't know who Flat Stanley is...
http://www.flatstanley.com/

October 1st, 2008, 06:46 PM
Regular
I'd be interested

Shonda 34
Leland(dh)38
Liberty 5
Teyla 2
Landon 1
October 1st, 2008, 09:04 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Oh, that sounds fun! I might be game. I will have to read some more about it...don't want my address just all over the place you know...but to the ladies here, I would feel pretty comfortable!
October 1st, 2008, 11:19 PM
Momma Jo's Avatar Monsters Ed
It looks fun. Like Rebecca I'm not that keen to have my addy all over the place. But I'll do more reading on it and get back to you.
October 2nd, 2008, 04:46 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I swear I replied to this. Oh, well. We'll do it!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

October 2nd, 2008, 06:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
YAY!!!

This is so funny because I have ZERO experience doing this! But I'm excited!
The easiest way I've come across to do this would be to match everyone up with one other person so only that person and the coordinator would have an address. There are so many things you can do with the stanley. I've heard of people making a new outfit for him based on the climate of the place he's visiting. Or if he goes to another country, you can include stamps or a coin when you send him back home...

If there's another way you can think of let me know. We could have one stanley and send him around to everyone- and instead of everyone making their own stanley, everyone could make an outfit for him and add to a journal/add pictures or things of where he's been. But then who gets him at the end?

Any ideas are appreciated!

October 2nd, 2008, 07:53 AM
Regular
In the end, we could make a copy of the journal and have everyone get a copy and add pics of Flat Stanely to it

Shonda 34
Leland(dh)38
Liberty 5
Teyla 2
Landon 1
October 2nd, 2008, 12:17 PM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is kind of off topic...well sort of. Anyways I'm just a over eager homeschool planner stalker (my first student is in utero!) Anyways...I have a funny story about Flat Stanley.

My boss got handed a Flat Stanley to take around in her travels...while traveling (for work) her boss saw her taking pictures of Flat Stanley in different locations and thought this was such a good idea. So they made a "Flat Jack" which is our mascot made into a similar style of Flat Stanley. Now my boss has to take "Flat Jack" everywhere she goes and take pictures. Then I got handed a project to create a website of his travel journal using all those photos my boss has collected.

So The great adventures of Flat Jack will be debuting on Georgetown University Law Center's website later this year (as soon as I finish the project!! lol...which is kinda what I'm supposed to be doing now instead of talking on JM.)

So anyways...you never know where this kind of stuff leads!!
October 3rd, 2008, 05:04 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I was thinking about the Flat Stanley thing this morning while I was in the shower and I had an idea. Maybe we could set up a blog and all of us who are participating have access to adding posts. I know this is possible at HomeschoolJournal (since I've made myself an admin and can post on Ani's blog). I know how to do it there, but I'd guess it's possible at other blog places, too. Anyway, we could post about what Stanley is doing so everyone can see easily. Then it would be possible, once we're finished, to export the posts to our own files to print a sort of journal-travel book for our kids each of us of our own or use one of those services that prints blog posts into books (note: I have NO idea how much that costs or where does it so I don't know if that's even a viable suggestion).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

October 3rd, 2008, 06:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think that is an excellent idea!!! So we can send the Stanley to everyone and whoever has him can add to the journal online and make blogs about him!! I love it! That would also give our kids a chance to get to know everyone else's kids, not just one other person! Would you be willing to set that up when the time comes?

Okay, so whoever wants to participate could you send me your address? What we can do is, the only person who will have your address is the person who is going to send the stanley to you, not everyone in the group. I will make a list of which order it will go in and then send everyone the address of the person they will send it to when they are done- when the time comes for them to have it.

This could be so much fun, girls! I can't wait to see what Stanley will do at your house!

October 3rd, 2008, 09:41 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The blog idea is great.. I am in process of creating a "virtual" Flat Stanley so there are no paper trails involved at all!
October 3rd, 2008, 05:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How would that work, emailing Stanley to each other and printing him out??

October 3rd, 2008, 06:51 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oooh, this sounds like so much fun! We have a copy of Flat Stanley that I need to get to reading with DD. We'd love to be a part of it!
October 4th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Bump!
Those who are still interested should pm me their address. So far I have:
Heather
Ragmama

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search