Advice wanted...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok so my DD told my sister that she wants to go to regular school and have lots of friends. So I asked her why she wants to go to regular school and she said to have friends. So I asked her if I found her some friends then she would be ok and she said yeah but they have to be nice ones. haha.

So any advice?

Also my mom won't let up on the subject. She keeps telling oh I think she would enjoy it, blah blah blah. Whatever!

October 7th, 2008, 07:12 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Do you have a co-op group near you? We do co-op once a week and my sons take classes with other homeschooled kids. They LOVE it!

There are also sports and girlscouts?
October 7th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We also have a home school group, plus Rachel and Michaela take a gymnastics class once a week, and Rachel is a Brownie Girl Scout; and goes to the library home school activity once a month. Then there's church and neighborhood friends. Rachel is the type that thrives with lots of friends around, and all those things seem to keep her satisfied socially. If that helps with any ideas. . . . Sorry about your mom not letting up on the subject.
October 7th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Veteran
I know what it is like to have a mom not so hot on homeschooling. Mine is a public school teacher Luckly she's never really said anything to dd, just me.

My dd is an only child, and because of that we try to do a few things with other children. She doesn't want to go to 'regular' school though and most of the time doesn't ask about being around other children much (though if we miss our 'outings' she does start missing people). We do gymnastics, homeschool group (and with that we have field trips and secret sister outings) and we are now joining 4-H. Some of these things have other homeschoolers while some do not.

My friend has a dd that is VERY outgoing and she used to often talk of going to school for friends. My friend found a very active homeschool group and also put her into horseback riding lessons as well. They go on many field trips, have a book club and have made a few casual friends through their homeschool group and that seems to have filled the void she had been feeling

All that said, I know how hard it can be to get involved with these kind of things if you are not outgoing yourself. I am not. I'd rather just stay home with family, but dd needs these type of things at least sometimes. I'm lucky in that she would rather stay at home most of the time too

Shannon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shannon (32 years old) ~ Married to dh (for 12 years) ~ Mom to dd (10 years old)
Visit my blog at: http://aroundthehomestead.blogspot.com/
October 8th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Advice depends a lot on what's around you. Parks and Rec classes, homeschool groups, church groups, kids in the neighborhood, Girl Scouts. Those are all options, but what is available to you where you live will vary.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

October 8th, 2008, 06:15 AM
jacksons_mom's Avatar Super Mommy
My niece is 5 and in Dance and then a 4-H homeschool group and a horse homeschool group. She is one busy girl but is around tons of kids every week and loves it.

Maybe there is a homeschool 4-H club around you too?
October 8th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My kids play soccer (4x's a week between them), we joined the local homeschool group, we're joining the homeschool group's 4H club (although we had to drop the class we were taking...too time consuming right now), and we have alot of homeschool friends from church.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

October 8th, 2008, 09:50 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Also my mom won't let up on the subject. She keeps telling oh I think she would enjoy it, blah blah blah. Whatever![/b]
I had to laugh at that because I think I'd have to counter that remark with, "Well, school isn't really about the enjoyment of it, is it? It's about education, right?" Yeah, she might "enjoy" school, but if that's not in her best interest, then what does it matter?

Also, I don't have any advice other than what the other ladies said!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

October 8th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you all for your responses, thoughts and tips. I greatly appreciate it!!!

In my area we do belong to a homeschooling group that meets once a week [only about 1 or so kids my DD's age]. We are just getting more involved in that. We also sporadically go to a Mommy and Me group. She was taking Karate but I was having a problem with another parent so we had to drop that. I'm looking into another dojo. Dance class is very limited here and all the times for her age group are not workable for us. I am trying to look for a girl's scout group but I haven't had any success yet.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search