Report cards?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 8th, 2008, 11:54 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
Do you do report cards for your kids? I really wish I hadn't decided to! At first, it seemed the "logical" thing to do. Now, it seems like a PITA! Bryce was almost in tears today when he was on the edge of a B (he pulled out a .5 of a point A though). It all just suddenly seems so...soo....public school. I mean, I know how well he is doing and I know what he needs to work on. Isn't that the whole point of a grade card...to tell the parents how the kid is doing in school? Bryce is struggling in some areas, and I hate to give him a low grade just because it is something we need to work on. It has just dawned on my that this very well may be one more thing I need to "ditch."

What do you all do? If you do gradecards, is there a reason you do them? Do they stress out your kids or motivate them?
October 8th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Nope. I don't see a reason to and my kids don't care.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

October 8th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If they were mine, I probably wouldn't. Because they're not mine (and my niece was BEGGING for a report card... and my nephew wanted them too), I do them. It's a pain in the neck assigning grades, but not that bad other than that.
October 8th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Veteran
We don't do them. In fact, I don't record grades at all. I will put a grade on a math page, because dd likes to see 100% on them (I make her fix mistakes, so it is almost always 100%. I have started to think on keeping grades though. I know that in high school we will have to in order to make out transcripts, but for now (4th grade for us), it just isn't needed.

Shannon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shannon (32 years old) ~ Married to dh (for 12 years) ~ Mom to dd (10 years old)
Visit my blog at: http://aroundthehomestead.blogspot.com/
October 8th, 2008, 01:24 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
I have to report grades to the satellite school we use. However, I am sure there are ways to do that without driving the kids insane.
October 8th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I know someone who did grades on pass/fail basis.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

October 8th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't do report cards. The only things I keep grades on are tests. Even then if they make any less than an A, I have them redo after some more lessons/practice. In my opinion, it doesn't make any sense to move on if they don't understand the material well enough to make an A on a test. That's the beauty of homeschooling.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

October 8th, 2008, 03:05 PM
ilovemy3wikids
We don't do grades, I know what she struggles on, if she gets something wrong she has to fix it and I explain why it was wrong, and ask if she has any ?'s why the answer is what it is! We will do grades in HS probably, but right now I'm more concerned about making sure she knows the stuff and motivating her!!
October 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have to mark down A to D for the umbrella school, but I don't do report cards. I don't see the need.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
October 8th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Nah, we don't do them but next year we are planning on going through the same umbrella school you guys are and I heard that they allowed a satisfactory, unsatisfactory type thing.

October 8th, 2008, 07:41 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't do report cards, but I have started keeping grades this year. This is mainly because I'm really trying to get Reilly to do her work more independently, so she does her math page and then gives it to me and I look at it, mark the ones that she got wrong (if any) and then she looks at it the next day. I only keep track of the grades because it's so stinkin' easy to do in the Homeschool Tracker program that I'm doing lesson plans in that I figured, heck, why not? She doesn't know what "grade" she has in any given subject, though, and I think it might stress her out more than anything.

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

October 8th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We don't do report cards either. I keep track of math and English test grades only (not practice work), in case DH ever asks how she's doing, but I don't make up a formal report card or anything, and most the time Rachel never knows what grade she got. I'll usually just tell her, "You missed one, or none, etc. . . " When we get to High School years from now. . . .right now I plan to use BYU independent study high school transcript program. (I used that when I decided to homeschool when I was in 11th grade. ) But, with that, the assignments and tests are mailed into the "teacher" for each course and THEY grade it and keep track of the grades. At the end of high school, you get a transcript with all the courses you took and the grades you got in them. So, even though they'll have a record of grades they will get in high school, I still won't be doing any of the record keeping.
October 10th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Momma Jo's Avatar Monsters Ed
I don't think I'll be doing report/grade cards either. But we'll have to see what his dad says on that front. I might do a report card every 3 months so he can see where D is at academically.
October 11th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Veteran
We do not and probably will not do grades. When he's doing 9th-12th work I'll secretly keep track.
October 13th, 2008, 03:14 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do put together grades and a card that goes in a folder for each child at the end of the year. They don't see it. They don't know that it exsists. I have it just to show "in case" in the future. My kids do well everything and if we need to we work on things. They don't know that are graded!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search