Log In Sign Up

Great article and some confusion!

Forum: Homeschooling


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2010, 12:55 AM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: lost in Iowa
Posts: 6,537
Here is the article from my paper.
Iowa's home-school population growing LOVED IT!

Now the confusion.
Within Iowa’s overall 30,000 or more home-schooling population, there are two subsets -- 4,643 students who receive partial state-funded assistance through their enrollment in a home-school assistance program in their local public school districts, and 5,483 students who use dual enrollment to benefit from extracurricular activities, advanced course work or other offerings.

What does that mean? They pay for curriculum to use at home?

Then I looked up http://homeschooliowa.org/getstarted...elawrules.html

I'm more confused! I think I'm confused because of how easy it is to do this!

I think I will contact the second site for more support when baby is closer to registration age, which is 6? I started school at age 5!

Reply With Quote
March 7th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 784
Ames Community School District - Home School Assistance Program

Hopefully this helps. It looks like a school sponsored home school group. I don't think they pay for supplies.
Reply With Quote
March 7th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 83
According to Iowa homeschool law you can either submit a portfolio each year, have your child take a norm referenced test each year, or have your child visited by a licensed teacher a certain number of times each year. Working with an HSAP is one way to do the last option. If your child takes classes through the HSAP (usually things like unit studies, or art, music, gym... nothing too hardcore) that counts for half of your visits from a licensed teacher. You then set up times with one of the teachers at the HSAP to take care of the rest. My children go to the Cedar Rapids HSAP every Wednesday for about 4 hours. Once a month they stay after for about an hour to do a cute craft or something with a licensed teacher to make up the rest of the "visits".

The HSAP my children go to offers curriculum you can rent. However, personally, I don't think a lot of it is very good. I have rented it in the past, but will not do so again.

Dual enrollment is when your child attends a public school part time. For instance, maybe you just want them to take the foreign language classes at one of the high schools, but that is all they take there, or maybe they want to be on the football team.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0