Does anyone use ebooks in their homeschooling?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
Do you use ebooks for homeschooling or as a supplement to homeschooling?

I have on occasion downloaded free stuff from curriclick for free and purchased some materials as well. I use ebooks to supplement what I can't otherwise afford such as Classic Literature (Aesop's fables, Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tales, classics by Jules Vern, Rudyard Kipling and others)

Two main sites that I use for Classic literature (free ebooks) are:
Project Gutenberg and
Planet Ebook

We have used before the ebook
HOME GEOGRAPHY for PRIMARY GRADES BY C. C. LONG, Ph.D.
IMO the book was to boring for me and the boys, so we do our own thing (we post about our geography on our hoemschool blog).

I never thought about the savings in ordering curriculum in an e-book version until some of my Candian homeschooling friends told me why they do. My riends in Canada opt to download ebooks of their curriculum to off set the cost to ship materials to them.

Married for 16+ years to the love of my life.
March 18th, 2010, 12:32 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Yep. I've used... uh ... I know I used a manners book one time... uh...

Anyway. Yes. I'm drawing a blank right the moment. I've found some things here before: An Old-Fashioned Education
March 18th, 2010, 12:42 PM
OH.. thank you for that link to that one Crystal.

March 18th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Sorry... I was on my way out the door when I wrote that. Here's another one ... the "blank" I was drawing. Online Books, Poems, Short Stories - Read Print Library
March 18th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra314 View Post
We have used before the ebook
HOME GEOGRAPHY for PRIMARY GRADES BY C. C. LONG, Ph.D.
IMO the book was to boring for me and the boys, so we do our own thing (we post about our geography on our hoemschool blog).
I've found that you have to carefully consider things like that one, because they're public domain... meaning, they're too old to be copyrighted. Sometimes you'll find great stuff, but sometimes you'll find things that are outdated and/or in an older language style that makes it hard to understand. Like the manners one we used. I had to cross out about 1/3 of the book because it was completely irrelevant to today (like... they used a word that made sense back then but has new meaning today or whatever).
March 18th, 2010, 08:07 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I have used a couple but off hand I cant remember what they are.
March 18th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
I've found that you have to carefully consider things like that one, because they're public domain... meaning, they're too old to be copyrighted. Sometimes you'll find great stuff, but sometimes you'll find things that are outdated and/or in an older language style that makes it hard to understand. Like the manners one we used. I had to cross out about 1/3 of the book because it was completely irrelevant to today (like... they used a word that made sense back then but has new meaning today or whatever).
I agree with you on that. Our only exception on that (even though it was written in 1911) is the Handbook of Nature Study (e-book) by Anna Comstock. I donwloaded it last year and use it as a teacher's guide for me to prepare some of our Nature Studies. I tailor it down to the boys' grade levels and they have learn alot.

March 20th, 2010, 05:27 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are doing a Easter unit study by ebook.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search