Checking in :D

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Thought I'd check in a bit, lol. I've been really busy for the last month or so, and even though I've been reading, I haven't replied much. Things have been a little bit hectic at times. So...we're checking in

So far the summer has been relatively normal. We've had some family get togethers, been able to see some family we haven't seen in years and generally had a pretty nice summer. The weather has been just plain nasty some weeks and others not so much. I'm interested in seeing what August-typically our hottest month, brings. The kids have made a couple new friends too. Some people live across the street we've only met a couple times. They're not usually here year-round. Very sweet family and their boys are just awesome friends-as the kids say. It's nice to have someone for them to play with, lol. They also have a pool, and a trampoline, you can imagine the delight there The mom has been cleaning out her kids toys and asked leo if he liked cars and legos. Apparently her boys(both younger than my kids) don't like either. Lil guy is in heaven, lol. Actually all three are. It was quite kind of her and when I tried to tell her that her response was "no, thank YOU for getting them out of my house", haha.

In August I'm leaving for three weeks and the kids are staying with my mom. They're all pretty excited. I am too. I get to visit a good friend I visited with last year. I was able to go to her wedding last year and this year I'll be with her at the beginning of September when her son is born! So exciting!! We're also going to an absolutely awesome festival, Uproar Festival 2012, and I really can't wait for that. They have Papa Roach, Staind, Shinedown and Godsmack all headlining which is just...amazing.(I guess you'd have to like their music to understand how awesome it is, haha). There are other bands playing too, on smaller stages. It's going to be great.

The kids start school back up soon. We're going to start before we normally would so they can take things easy with mom. She has her own school to handle too, lol. We've gotten some of the curriculum in and the rest will slowly trickle in. We just got our new microscope the other day, I love it, haha. I love the equipment as much as they do. I'll need to get more petri dishes and slides though, what we have won't be enough. I think we've gotten the grade levels sorted too. Alexis is 13 she's technically in 8th grade, but for Math and Language arts she's in 11th. Everything else, except Science she's in an 8/9 split. She'll do 8th grade the first half and finish up the year in a semester, then she'll move to 9th the second half. Alyssia is 11 and technically in 6th. For Math and Language arts she'll be doing 9th grade and everything else 6th, except Science. Leo is 8 and in 3rd grade. In Math he'll be doing 5th grade, everything else except science he's doing a 3/4 split. Science this year I am combining everything. We plan to do their grade level work in the first couple months and be finished with it entirely. Then we'll just do my supplemented Science the rest of the year. It's not really a grade level but if I had to stick a tag on it I'd say 10-12th, based on the topics covered in curriculums at that level. We prefer combining Science, it just makes so much more sense and we can really explore it better that way. I think we may be adding guitar onto their Music this year too, it depends entirely on whether I can get a hold of one, lol. They're all very interested in learning it, so we'll see how that goes. Leo's working on his recorder and the girls still working on piano. Our foreign language we're sticking with Spanish this year and going to delve into it a bit further. We were going to move on to French but I think this is a better choice.

Other than that it's been the same old same old, I guess. Some weeks I'm busy working my butt off without a spare minute and others I have nearly nothing to do. Sometimes it drives me crazy(ok, crazier than I already am). But I can't expect this kind of work to really be steady or consistent. It pays the bills and that's what matters, right?
July 25th, 2012, 05:40 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I'm glad you're having a great summer! Enjoy your visit with your friend, and good luck starting back to school!
July 25th, 2012, 02:26 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
So glad they've found good friends/neighbors to play with! Sounds like fun!

Curious... what do you plan to do when one surpasses 12th grade in a single subject? Will you drop the subject, or have you thought about dual-enrollment options to get a head start on college, or what?
July 25th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
To be honest I've only put a little thought into it, but what I have thought about leans me more towards duel-enrollment. It will depend a lot on what the kids want too. Which I know sounds odd, lol, but they have a huge amount of involvement in what, and when, they learn. So We'll probably discuss it a bit further when we get to that point. I'll never completely drop a subject though. There is always something more out there to learn, always. Even once you surpass the high school or even college level of something, you can always learn more. That's one thing my kids have learned from me and it has stuck like super glue. Alexis finished her Shakespeare unit she made for herself almost a month early and decided to just supplement more stuff in once she was done.(as it was this unit was a self chosen one just for something fun to do over the summer, lol).

So if we don't go a duel-enrollment way, we'd likely just find other resources at a college level and go from there. Alexis will be there very shortly, most likely the end of this school year. But she's way too young for any duel-enrollment anywhere around here. There is a small campus a couple blocks from us for a bigger college further south of us. They might have courses she can take there by that time. Since the schools here don't have a gifted and talented or even AP classes, I believe this campus and possibly one other not far from here are adopting those courses. That way the kids here can continue on with their education despite not being old enough or finished in all subjects to move on to full time college.

We don't have a community college here, I wish we did. This campus is the closest thing we've got to one, but it only has certain courses. So we'll just have to play it by ear until we get to that point, I guess.
July 25th, 2012, 10:00 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
... and people think I'm crazy when I say the same thing!!

Yes, there's ALWAYS more to learn!!! People ask me what I'll do if my kids "graduate" at 15 and aren't mature enough for college (especially since they're boys and would likely mature more slowly than girls). So what? We can continue learning at home, do distance learning options, or whatever. I'm always worried we won't cover enough, because really... you CAN'T teach everything, even if you're working 10 hrs a day, every day.

I also like how you're letting them have input on what they do. I wish all kids had that option.
July 27th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Super Mommy
WOW! All I have to say is I'm impressed! And yay for your kids having new friends in the neighborhood!
~Mother of Miracles

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search