New to Homeschool this year

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 27th, 2015, 08:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi everyone---I used to be active on JM years ago, and just logged back in tonight. I have 3 kids, ages, 4, 7, and 10. We have just this past month moved our 7 year old from our great private school to homeschool with me. It has been quite an adjustment---We are in the middle of going through some testing with him, and we have believed for years that he is most likely high functioning Aspergers. THUS, why traditional school has always been a struggle for him. However, home school has been a struggle too I was a high school teacher before having kids, so I understand how to teach, but this is a whole new ballgame! He is VERY advanced and he has already tested out of the first 2-3 quarters of 2nd grade curriculum for most of the subjects. Anyway, here I am looking to connect with others in similar situations.
December 5th, 2015, 08:07 AM
Veteran
I have also just became active again and also have an asd kid. He's 13 and getting A's in tenth grade work. He switched to virtual school when he hit high school level. My suggestion is take him as far ahead as he's willing/able to go because he may get stuck at some point. It took my son years to get through algebra because he had to learn/accept there ARE veritable in math. He still hates algebra but he finally got through it with a B this past October. When he finishes high school math and English he'll start college electives to give him a taste of what college will be like as it takes him longer to adjust to new things.
December 22nd, 2015, 10:15 AM
cbaby4's Avatar Veteran
Hi! My situation is not too similar to yours but I had great success letting my son take the lead in his education. I'll summarize my story.

I pulled my son out of school in 4th grade because he was diagnosed with ADHD and I felt a strong push from the school to medicate. In reality I felt he was just a boy who didn't like sitting in a seat being told what to do. Anyhow, when I first took him out it was a struggle because he hated learning, he hated reading and math and memorizing facts. I started letting him have a say in what we do, I let him help choose the curriculum we used for various subjects and that helped ALOT. And Today besides Math, reading and writing, I let him have complete control over what he learns as long as he's learning. I let him make stop action films, build his legos, I let him write comics and I support those hobbies and get him as much material as possible so he can improve himself. It's been amazing because he actually loves learning now and loves his math and reading too

Also just a tip that made a huge difference for us; I've learned not to stand over Chris' shoulder while he's working and not to correct all mistakes he makes. I don't want to correct him too much and in reality it's perfectly ok to make mistakes and I didn't want to give him a complex where he didn't want to learn new things because he was afraid of mistakes. Besides kids can make connections and correct their own mistakes as time goes on. So for subjects like spelling and math he does those on the computer (if he gets less than 85% he redoes the lesson but I never act disappointed) and when he writes for fun I never correct spelling and grammar unless he asks me to.
April 8th, 2017, 05:04 AM
At what point did you guys know that they are gifted? One of my students has Aspergers but the parents haven't been too open about speaking to me about him. He does well with coloring and letter recognition but he seems to be lost in his own world sometimes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search