Okay ladies, I need your help

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Stellaluna's Avatar Super Mommy
Okay fellow homeschoolers I need your help!

Once a week we do a "spelling test" with lists that I took from Brightly Beaming Resources. The lists for the year are all very simple CVC word families. They're well below Sam's reading level but since we're just introducing spelling this year I thought it would be best to start out with simple words that he can easily spell to introduce basic spelling and build confidence as well.

This past week however Sam has been trying to figure out some spelling on his own. He'll write things in notebooks or on his pictures and I also showed him how to use the computer to type things up and print them out when he's done as well (he LOVES this and it's a nice activity when I need some "quiet time").

My dilema is that he's spelling things phonetically which is fine but I'm not sure when and how I should gently help or correct him. I worry that if I try and correct his spelling he'll only get frustrated and confused and since he's really loving it and very proud of himself I don't want to dissuade him by correcting him all the time.

For example he typed up this "list" today.

cat
rat
hat
joos (juice)
milk
bred (bread)
chikin (chicken)
solt (salt)
dip
roks (rocks)
stik (stik)

Should I just continue on with our simple spelling word lists or should I toss in some words that correlate better with his reading level? Will he most likely just figure out all those nuances and "rules" of spelling as we progress with phonics? He's always been a pretty strong sight reader but I also feel phonics are important so we use HOP as a basic guide so I guess I could introduce words that correlate with what we're covering.

I just worry that by letting him continue to spell phonetically he'll make habits that are hard to break, kwim?

Sorry for rambling and thanks so much for any advice you can offer!

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Homeschooling Mom to Sam (3-21-02)

My Photography Website

My Blog - Pollywog in a Blog</span>
October 7th, 2006, 05:33 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it depends how you think your son will react. Some kids you could probably show how those misspelt words should be written, other kids might get upset or disheartened. If you think correcting might upset him then I would probably not point out the mistakes just praise him for the list then just toss one or two of those misspelt words at a time into his regular spelling lesson. I wouldn't mention he had misspelt them or draw any more attention to them then is needed.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
October 7th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi,
My kids all learned the phonic rules. They help them so much. Carter is still learning how to read and spell, and there are many times that he uses the rules that he has learned.
For instance, I was looking at chicken, rocks and sticks that your son spelled without the c. Carter remembers his ck's because he learned that the "k" sound following a short vowel has to be ck instead of just k. Just things like that. I know a lot of people don't use phonics, but I love them. I really don't know how I would explain a lot of the spellings without them.
October 8th, 2006, 12:44 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, with my boys I would just say that was a great try. And go back over that word and show why it is spelled the way it is spelled. Kids love rules and love to play by them. Atleast mine do.

We really drilled all those blends, special sounds and short and long sounds.
Also rules like:
C comes before I and E, K before the other three A, O, U.
ke after a long vowel so the vowel says it's name. The e makes it say it's name.
ck after a short vowel sound.

I could print ya some of my chart and mail them if you so wish. If you are worried about his spirit being crushed then you could just really start 10 or so minutes a day of rules and sounds. And he will pick it up on his own.

Like with Eli I say...read this word the way you spelled it. He does and see his mistake. If he doesn't then I point out a rule. He quickly changes it.

Have fun!

October 8th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
With miguel I put the way it's soupose to be spelled next to his list and ask him whats diffrent and why? Usually he tells me which letters that are diffrent and when he says he doesn't know why there diffrent I do a little 30 second lesson on why it's spelled diffrent or he waches a video on starfall or bettween the loins on it. That way he hasen't really got it "wrong" he just didn't know yet.

October 8th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Quote:
We really drilled all those blends, special sounds and short and long sounds.
Also rules like:
C comes before I and E, K before the other three A, O, U.
ke after a long vowel so the vowel says it's name. The e makes it say it's name.
ck after a short vowel sound.[/b]
I think the problem is her phonics programe hasn't reached those rulles yet. He's only 4 1/2.

October 8th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Quote:
I think the problem is her phonics programe hasn't reached those rulles yet. He's only 4 1/2.[/b]

That is the problem, thanks Jo!

So far his phonics program has only covered short vowel CVC words and a handful of blends so far. His reading level is higher than his phonics program because he's a strong sight reader, if that makes any sense.

With the spelling he's just having fun figuring it out all on his own. I wasn't sure if I should correct and introduce new phonics concepts we haven't covered yet as like I said it will probably only frustrate and discourage him . If he mispells something we've covered and I know he fully understands like a simple CVC word or a word with "ee" or "oo" then I'll give him some guidance but that hasn't happened so far.

He really likes the independence of typing on his own, I was just wondering if it was okay to continue to let him until we cover those phonics rules.

My Photography Website

October 8th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. I mean he's so far ahead of the game and such a bright boy, that he will cotton on as you slip them into his spelling or just wait till his programe gets to it.

October 8th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks Jo, and everyone for your advice!

I know I shouldn't but I worry about giving him too much independence with things like this and then "messing him up" with some integral part of his education .

Oh, Jo, btw.."cotton on"l..is it an Australian phrase?

My Photography Website

October 8th, 2006, 10:09 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh I didn't realize that! Well, if he spelled that at 4 1/2 then BRAVO! Wow!

October 8th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Quote:
btw.."cotton on"..is it an Australian phrase?[/b]
I have no idea. I guess if you don't know it, it's either Aussie or English. My folks are pommies (English) and I have a few of there expresions too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search