Log In Sign Up

I'm sure this has been asked before!

Forum: Homeschooling


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2006, 11:51 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Lonestar State
Posts: 50,214
My sister was telling me that public schools are required to let h/s kids participate in classes they "can't" offer at home (like playing on a football team or joining a drama group). She said that for things like band, Ben would be allowed to go to class, but may not necessarily be allowed to play in the varsity group or something like that. Is that true? What's the point of learning the music if you can't perform? You can't march at halftime, etc.? I really want to h/s him when he gets to high school, but I don't know how I'll be able to do things like music. I'm a former band director myself. It's very important to us that he's allowed to do whatever he wants to do... band, basketball, etc. How do you do it?
Reply With Quote
October 7th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ohio
Posts: 3,657
Ask your school. They'd be the best to answer sence your state requires them provide I would ask because it's propaply up to the school how much they provided.Also look into hs CO-OPs and your comunity you may be able to find a local group that proforms. (there's a kids orcistra here)

Reply With Quote
October 8th, 2006, 10:25 PM
LadyBelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 10,125
some public schools allow it depending on how homeschool friendly they are and the school board.

you can always join a homeschool group and start up a band (being a former director you could do band--a dad who is a coach could do football and if you have a team "most" private schools will let a homeschool team play against them. the same for other activities.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0