New to Homeschooling board not JM

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Candicemomof4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ALL!! I am thrilled I found this board!!

My children have been in public school....long story short they made a lot of changes last year...started busing in children from troubled areas and schools and I found that my oldest who will be in 6th grade started to struggle. I have been considering homeschooling since January but very seriously researching it since May when i found out they are still busing in students next year. My daughter will be in 2nd grade next year and last year she didn't have any problems...but I see the school getting worse and not better. My question is...what is the best way to pick a curriculum? We do not want to use a religion based curriculum and I want to make sure that if i decide to re enroll them into public school(thinking high school for my oldest) that he will be ahead of the game and not behind. I have researched soooo many curriculum's from time4learning to K12 I am not sure what is the best way to go. And I don't want to spend a ton I see some of the online schools have tuition equivalent to private school in my area.

Thank so much!!

Candice mom of 4

July 7th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
A lot of picking curriculum is trial and error and figuring out what you all like and what works for the kids. A good, solid non-religious curriculum that corresponds well with public school is Calvert School.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 7th, 2007, 09:54 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
I am pining away for the Sonlight curriculum, but it is religious based.

What State are you in??? If you are planning to re-enroll your kids in PS at some point, it may be easiest to go with a charter or umbrella school. I am in TN and can give you some good ones here, but not in other states.

Google "homeschool charter" and see what comes up in your state.
July 8th, 2007, 06:34 AM
There are actually many people who use Sonlight completely secularly. Of course Sonlight doesn't correspond at all really with public school.

Smaller on the Outside

July 8th, 2007, 09:06 AM
I am in Md and I have been searching for a charter in my area and can't seem to find one. Thanks for the Calvert School I had that in my notes and completely overlooked it. I will research Sonlight.....any ideas are appreciated..

Thanks Again

Candice mom of 4

July 8th, 2007, 10:00 AM
ilovemy3wikids
Hi!

I know that my daughter is younger than your kids ( she is 6) but we are using non religious based here! We are using Saxon math which I really like and saxon phonics! We ordered story of the world for history. Science I am putting my own unit together including weather, animals and plants. Homeschoolreviews.com is a great site to find out what people think of different curriculums too!
July 8th, 2007, 10:18 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello...I wanted to welcome you aboard. I hope to see you around a whole bunch.

Not too much help with your questions...but I do think you could pick and choose from different sources in order to find what you want. And you would still be way above target.

July 8th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello and Welcome! If you want to go with a boxed curriculum, K12 or Calvert might be good options. They seem to correspond with the public schools very closely. I took my 2nd and 6th graders out of public school last year and have been really happy with the choice. We are using Sonlight for History and Reading and I have made separate choices for everything else.

There is a strong possibility my son (and possibly my girls too) will go to high school and so I have had similar concerns. I have found though that within in a few months of homeschooling, they were already way ahead of the game in comparison to their public schooled peers. With homeschooling, they can go at their own pace and you can customize it just for them so they are getting the opimum benefit.

If I thought my kids might be going back to public school even sooner, the subjects I would be want to make sure they are on track with for sure are Language Arts and Math. Those are the subjects that most elementary schools seem to concentrate on and of course build on from year to year. When my son was in p.s. they used Saxon Math. That is also a popular choice with homeschoolers so that might be an option for you to consider. We used Scott Foresman (a common public school text) with my 5th grade son and we really liked it, so that might be another option.

As for Language Arts, we used SpellWell for spelling and found it fun, thorough, and well-organized (and inexpensive.) We used Spectrum Language Arts for Grammar (and enjoyed that as well- found in most bookstores,btw.) And as I mentioned, Sonlight for Reading (as well as World History and Geography) - which my kids loved! And we used Handwriting without Tears for handwriting.

I really think that all of the programs we used would have kept them on track (and beyond) with the public schools.
Good luck with your decision. Stick around here and you will find lots of good ideas.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
July 8th, 2007, 03:25 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have nothing to add, the other ladies have said it all I think. Just wanted to welcome you to the board.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 8th, 2007, 08:04 PM
When I was homeschooled I lived in MD and we lived there until about a month before we officially started homeschooling Ani. Try searching for "MD virtual school". I think k12 is there but I don't know how widespread. Calvert may do a virtual school option in MD. They are physically in Baltimore and do some virtual schools around the country. There are some umbrella schools. My parents never bothered because they are really not necessary in MD (relatively easy state to homeschool in), but we always go to the curriculum fair in Frederick every April and there's always a couple people handing out umbrella school info there.

Smaller on the Outside

July 9th, 2007, 06:12 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Hey there and !
I don't really have any suggestions for secular curriculum, as we tend to search out Christian curriculum, but I wanted to welcome you to the board!! I hope we'll see you here a lot! This is a great place and the ladies here have tons of good ideas!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

July 9th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks so much for all the wonderful welcomes! I really appreciate all the suggestions and support....I will definitely be a regular.

Candice mom of 4

July 9th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Hello and Welcome! If you want to go with a boxed curriculum, K12 or Calvert might be good options. They seem to correspond with the public schools very closely. I took my 2nd and 6th graders out of public school last year and have been really happy with the choice. We are using Sonlight for History and Reading and I have made separate choices for everything else.

There is a strong possibility my son (and possibly my girls too) will go to high school and so I have had similar concerns. I have found though that within in a few months of homeschooling, they were already way ahead of the game in comparison to their public schooled peers. With homeschooling, they can go at their own pace and you can customize it just for them so they are getting the opimum benefit.

If I thought my kids might be going back to public school even sooner, the subjects I would be want to make sure they are on track with for sure are Language Arts and Math. Those are the subjects that most elementary schools seem to concentrate on and of course build on from year to year. When my son was in p.s. they used Saxon Math. That is also a popular choice with homeschoolers so that might be an option for you to consider. We used Scott Foresman (a common public school text) with my 5th grade son and we really liked it, so that might be another option.

As for Language Arts, we used SpellWell for spelling and found it fun, thorough, and well-organized (and inexpensive.) We used Spectrum Language Arts for Grammar (and enjoyed that as well- found in most bookstores,btw.) And as I mentioned, Sonlight for Reading (as well as World History and Geography) - which my kids loved! And we used Handwriting without Tears for handwriting.

I really think that all of the programs we used would have kept them on track (and beyond) with the public schools.
Good luck with your decision. Stick around here and you will find lots of good ideas.[/b]

Hi Robin!

I am soo glad to see someone else in my position have homeschooling work out so well for you. You know I am very nervous about taking this on...confident but nervous. It doesn't help that my mother tells me everyday what a huge mistake this is LOL! Thanks so much for all your suggestions...someone suggested Calvert earlier in this thread and I had forgotten all about them...I called them today and they are sending me more information. I did research K12 as well...I was afraid with just starting this...to piece together a curriculum by myself...but I might give it a try. Thanks Again! I am sooo glad I found this board

Candice mom of 4

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search