Not sure where to post this?

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 9th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
So, I figured, since it's a medical issue, I'd try here. I've already taken Donovan to the doctor, but I thought I'd send it "out there" and see if anyone else had any ideas.

Van hasn't had any vax's, and he's cloth diapered.

Donovan has, what looks like, blisters on his scrotum. This morning there was some on the underside of his penis, and a big on near the tip. I've just assumed it was a diaper rash at first, so I've been putting ointment on it. I've tried Bordouxs Butt Paste, Desatin, Vasoline ointment, and an aloe lotion. The doctor didn't know what it was, but said it looked a bit like a herpes virus (huh? on his penis?). For now, we are treating it like a yeast infection. I have some nystatin to put on it. If it doesn't get any better, or gets worse, I'm to bring him back in and she is going to do cultures on it to see if it's bacterial or viral.

He was exposed to chicken pox several weeks ago, but I don't see any spots on him anywhere else. I'm tempted to take pictures, but not sure it would be a good idea.

Any ideas?????

My Ovulation Chart
December 9th, 2008, 02:25 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Wendy do you think your cloth diapers might be needing stripping? I hate to encourage disposibles but if you try them and that helps the rash go away, then it's definately the cloth diapers. If you want to post pics, do it in the hideaway. I would be stressed out so I sure hope it goes away asap.

Keep us updated.

Michelle
December 10th, 2008, 06:59 AM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
Have you changed your detergent or did something get in with your CD wash load? It sounds like a reaction to something. Possibly a change in diet?

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

December 10th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmm, nothing has changed as far as I can tell. But, the yeast meds seem to be working. There were little blood spots in his diaper liner this morning, but many of the blisters broke and look like they're healing. So, I'm putting him in disposable diapers today, and I'm going to strip his cloth diapers to get anything out of them that might be lingering.

My Ovulation Chart
December 10th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Tribeca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wendy,

Sorry this is happening....poor baby! I agree with Michelle. I think you may want to try disposables just for a few days and see what happenes. If nothing than at least you can rule that out. It may be yeast, although i have never heard of a yeast diaper rash presenting with blisters??? As for Herpes I don't know how an infant could get an STD. The only way an infant could be exposed to the herpes virus that causes genital lesions (HS2) would be if a mother had an active herpes outbreak during a vaginal childbirth I think. Keep us posted. I hope it goes away soon!

"An error can never become true however many times you repeat it. The truth can never be wrong, even if no one ever hears about it." Mahatma Gandhi
"Doctors put drugs of which they know little, into bodies of which they know less, for diseases of which they know nothing at all.” Voltaire
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
December 10th, 2008, 08:49 AM
mama2noah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
noah is also CDed and has had these blisters before. the pedi did a culture of them because noah was also having a problem with staph. they came back as NOT staph and went away after a few days. i was using bactroban (prescription) on them in case it was staph and it seemed to help, not sure if that was a coincidence or not. i was washing noah's dipes with dawn dish detergent but when the staph kept coming back, i switched and that really made a difference.

the first time he had staph and she did a culture she said "well if it isn't staph, than it could be something like herpes, but i don't know how he would get that". i was a little ticked she would even say that. i was like "what? how in the world would he get herpes??"

anyway, stripping the diapers may help or if you happen to use dawn, i would switch to something else and see if that helps.

good luck mama! i know i always feel out of sorts when that happens!

December 10th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Jewinjuwa's Avatar We walk by faith
I replied on the CD board, but wanted to give
December 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Bug-n-Ed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't post here much anymore, but wanted to respond to this.

My older ds did get chicken pox only in the genital region. It was confirmed by the pedi. If your child has had the chicken pox vaccine, it's more likely for them to only get them in a small area instead of all over.

It could also be related to the cloth diapers. Sometimes, it's really hard to get the cloth diapers really clean, especially if there's microfiber in them. If there's blisters it could be from an ammonia burn. Urine turns into uric acid as it sits from bacteria. Uric acid is a lot like ammonia. Anyway, if there's bacteria build-up in the diapers, there could be a problem. I suggest filling your washer up, adding 1-2 capfuls of bleach into the water, let it agitate and then add your diapers along with your regular detergent. The small amount of bleach is enough to kill bacteria, but it shouldn't affect the diapers. I've done this before with mine when my youngest was still in diapers.

picture does not represent current ages

December 10th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
My older dd has gotten a rash that reminded my of herpes a few times. First the doc tried to treat it as if it were a yeast infection but it didn't go away. We never did find out what it was exactly, she didn't test it. They gave me some Mupirocin and it seemed to help at first but did't make it go away, it slowly went away on its own. She was also cloth diapered but at that time she was mostly in panties, she did wear her diapers at night though, and the rash looked its worst in the morning when I took the dipes off

December 10th, 2008, 09:28 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No ideas here, but I hope you figure it out soon, and that your little guy starts feeling better.
December 11th, 2008, 08:14 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
did it clear up?

December 11th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
well, it's getting better, but not gone. The "blisters" have broken and now it's just red skin. But they are getting smaller and he's not getting anymore, so that's good.

My Ovulation Chart
December 11th, 2008, 06:48 PM
mama2noah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i forgot about the bleach. anytime noah has staph, i washed the inserts of his dipes with a little bit of bleach to kill the staph. also make sure you are cleaning and disinfecting wherever he bathes really well. if you aren't killing the bacteria/germs, he could just be reinfecting himself.

hope it clears up soon and stays away!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search