nervous about the coming season

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2008, 08:35 AM
mothra's Avatar Martha
hello all, i'm sure these concerns have been brought up before, but i haven't spent much time on this board recently so forgive me if i'm bringing up old news. my son Isaac is almost 6 months and totally unvaccinated. i am confident that i'm making the right decision for him and for us, but i do feel like it's such a double-edged sword. i am starting to freak out about the flu/sickness season that's coming, and feel like i need to be super diligent about hand washing, bringing him out in public, coming in contact with people. i know that's mostly a good thing, to be aware and cautious. but i guess i really don't know how cautious i should be. i don't want to be neurotic! Isaac is as of yet as healthy as a horse and hasn't had so much of a runny nose his whole life. is it reasonable to be a little paranoid just because he's not vaccinated? his 6 month ped appt is coming and i don't want them to talk me into something just because i'm feeling unsure about it.

also, i have been thinking a lot about his contact with vaccinated children. is it safe? is it necessary to ask parents if and how recent their child was vaxed? i know nothing about whether its possible for him to get sick because he was playing with someone who recently got shots. if someone could point me in the right direction about that one i'd be really grateful

December 10th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am new here and you dont know my views yet LOL, but I personally am not scared of my kids getting flu or chicken pox, or measles, they can deal with it way easier when they are little than when they are adults.
My kids had pox, and they absolutely loved it (I know it sounds silly but they did).
I believe that if they are healthy (we try to do a lot of organic stuff etc, they exercise a lot, are rarely sick more than a sniffle) their bodies will fight the diseases. OK there is polio and meningitis that I am worried about but these are extremely rare here. I had most of these childhood diseases and I am here, and I am very healthy.

December 10th, 2008, 11:26 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
hello all, i'm sure these concerns have been brought up before, but i haven't spent much time on this board recently so forgive me if i'm bringing up old news. my son Isaac is almost 6 months and totally unvaccinated. i am confident that i'm making the right decision for him and for us, but i do feel like it's such a double-edged sword. i am starting to freak out about the flu/sickness season that's coming, and feel like i need to be super diligent about hand washing, bringing him out in public, coming in contact with people. i know that's mostly a good thing, to be aware and cautious. but i guess i really don't know how cautious i should be. i don't want to be neurotic! Isaac is as of yet as healthy as a horse and hasn't had so much of a runny nose his whole life. is it reasonable to be a little paranoid just because he's not vaccinated? his 6 month ped appt is coming and i don't want them to talk me into something just because i'm feeling unsure about it.[/b]
We only want you to feel confident in any decision you make with vaccines. It's is totally normal for any mother to be worried about their child getting sick, vaccines or not. I have a thread about flu shots and I highly recommend the article Avoid Flu Shots, Take Vitamin D Instead by Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD who is is a cardiac surgeon and Professor of Surgery at the University of Washington in Seattle. He is a member of Doctors for Disaster Preparedness. (Something to consider anyway.)

Let us know if there is something more to talk about. We only want you to feel you did what you thought was best.

Quote:
also, i have been thinking a lot about his contact with vaccinated children. is it safe? is it necessary to ask parents if and how recent their child was vaxed? i know nothing about whether its possible for him to get sick because he was playing with someone who recently got shots. if someone could point me in the right direction about that one i'd be really grateful [/b]
Honestly, just try to avoid changing other vaccinated children's poopy diapers.. Wash your hands if you do.

Actually, washing hands is just the best thing in general. Remember if your child is relatively healthy, they'll fair fine against diseases. Unheathly kids are the ones we need to be really careful around but even then it depends on that unhealthy child and their illness.

I hope that helps.

Quote:
I am new here and you dont know my views yet LOL, but I personally am not scared of my kids getting flu or chicken pox, or measles, they can deal with it way easier when they are little than when they are adults.
My kids had pox, and they absolutely loved it (I know it sounds silly but they did).
I believe that if they are healthy (we try to do a lot of organic stuff etc, they exercise a lot, are rarely sick more than a sniffle) their bodies will fight the diseases. OK there is polio and meningitis that I am worried about but these are extremely rare here. I had most of these childhood diseases and I am here, and I am very healthy.[/b]
I think you'll fit right in and I hope you like it here.

Cheers,

Michelle
December 10th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Tribeca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Agreed.....I wouldn't worry yourself too much...In fact if your child WAS vaccinated I would think you should worry MORE about the cold/flu season since unvaccinated kids's immune systems are generally more robust (or so it is argued) since they haven't had to deal with the onslaught of the toxic vaccines. It is not a bad thing for your son to get a cold or two this season. The only way children build up their immune systems is to have them challenged. This prepares them for later when they are in school and are exposed to lots of things. Don't worry! Just keep concentrating on being healthy and doing what you already are doing!

"An error can never become true however many times you repeat it. The truth can never be wrong, even if no one ever hears about it." Mahatma Gandhi
"Doctors put drugs of which they know little, into bodies of which they know less, for diseases of which they know nothing at all.” Voltaire
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
December 11th, 2008, 08:07 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Hey Martha!

I went through some of this worry myself (and still do a tiny bit) when my hubby and I joined the local gym and started bringing Cadie to the playroom to be watched while I worked out. She got sick twice right off the bat, but it is pretty common for babies to get sick when they first have regular contact with other kids. I give Cadie vitamin D almost everyday, and occasionally some Children's Echinacea. Hylands also has vitamin C tablets you dissolve in water and give them.

I started bringing a wet wash cloth with soap on it to wash Cadie's hands before we leave the playroom. I also just purchased some alcohol free hand sanitizer (kids can get poisoned from regular hand sanitizer) for her hands and mine. I always wash my hands too after I work out - before going to get her. I wash my hands a lot at home.

DH and I also take vitamin D daily for the winter, and I have garlic and echinacea on hand as well as C if I start to feel yucky. I take a multivitamin daily as well.

I think these are the best things we can do to be proactive.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search