Rare sickness kills child; officials urge vaccination

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2009, 05:40 PM
Tribeca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/23/hib.v....cdc/index.html

This kind of freaked me out. I have to admit. Cori where r u? the voice of reason?

"An error can never become true however many times you repeat it. The truth can never be wrong, even if no one ever hears about it." Mahatma Gandhi
"Doctors put drugs of which they know little, into bodies of which they know less, for diseases of which they know nothing at all.” Voltaire
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
January 23rd, 2009, 06:25 PM
Tofu Bacon
How awful for the families!

Quote:
"Parents may not realize the importance of this vaccine," Schuchat said. "The disease is still around."[/b]
Of course HiB is still around; bacteria don't just disappear off the planet. It isn't a matter of whether or not the vaccine is important; its a matter of weighing the information we have regarding the vaccine against the reality of HiB disease, deciding which we are more comfortable with... and being prepared for the possible consequences of either choice. There are no garuntees with either choice, which we can plainly see with these 5 cases:
3 were unvaccinated
1 was age-appropriately vaccinated
1 was fully vaccinated but had an immune deficiency

Not to minimize the seriousness of HiB disease, but we cannot ignore the problems stemming from the vaccine like invasive HiB disease incidence has now shifted to the adult population, or how serotype replacement has caused non-vaccine strains to flourish.

Also, you'd think in the midst of a vaccine-shortage they'd mention how highly protective breastfeeding is against HiB disease, even after weaning has occured:
http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/26/2/443

ETA: also just wanted to point out that this wasn't an actual outbreak. An outbreak consists of 2 or more related cases, while these cases were not related and were in 5 seperate counties.
January 23rd, 2009, 07:39 PM
MommaNator's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't read the links yet (I plan to) but wanted to mention that I had been vaxing DD until last year, but she only received 2 doses of the HiB vax and really should have had 3 before I quit. I was told there was a shortage and the office would only vax high-risk children so DD was not offered any more. She would not have been age-appropriately vaccinated despite my best (misguided) effort.

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

January 24th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Tofu Bacon
And furthermore, let's balance this out with what never seems to get media attention:

ftp://ftp.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/Cl...mpenDismiss.pdf

20 familes qualified to file for compensation for injury or death from the HiB vaccine, 6 of whom were compensated. And I'm not even counting the combo vaccines that contain HiB. Those children don't matter? I guess they just took one for the team, eh? Why are vaccine-preventable deaths more tragic than preventable vaccine deaths? Why is it that a parent looks at these odds, weighs the risk on both sides... but they are ridiculed for not making the "right" choice?
January 24th, 2009, 07:23 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Why are vaccine-preventable deaths more tragic than preventable vaccine deaths? Why is it that a parent looks at these odds, weighs the risk on both sides... but they are ridiculed for not making the "right" choice?[/b]
Your points illustrate why this decision not to vaccinate isn't easy and why there shouldn't be judgement from others towards families that choose not to vaccinate. It's what we struggle with.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search