Whooping cough outbreak in NJ

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Tofu Bacon
And so far every single case has been in a vaccinated child!

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/01/o...2_cases_of.html

Quote:
The licensed Tdap pertussis booster for people ages 10 to 64, required for New Jersey school-aged children, might provide added protection, the department noted.[/b]
Might??

Quote:
Louise Kuo Habakus, a member of the New Jersey Coalition for Vaccination Choice, said girls receive 69 shots by age 18 and boys get 66 during that time. "Our babies and our toddlers receive five pertussis shots until age 5, and that's not enough to protect them at age 7?" she said.[/b]
January 26th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Super Mommy
I guess it isn't enough to protect them! You'd think this would get more people talking. I HOPE it gets more people talking. I hope it fires them up in NJ enough to get the recent flu vax legislation reversed, anyway!
January 26th, 2009, 06:47 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
((crosses fingers that people might realize that vaccines aren't worth it))
January 28th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
I hope people start conecting these things soon

January 29th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Im not surprised... I wish people would open their big eyes....

*hopes something changes*

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
January 29th, 2009, 06:27 PM
cheesecake's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow

Sherilyn ~ Mama to Jade & Colt
January 30th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I'm in MI and they just had some outbreaks here as well.....

We have an 11 week old, and have been putting off her well child visit because we were torn on the issue of vaccinating. My older two (13 and 8) were, but I never thought twice. Now knowing all the "junk" that they put in there, I just can't knowingly inject that into my baby. I mean, they tell you when you're pregnant not to eat certain fish because of mercury and then they inject it right into their bloodstream when they're 2 months old?

Anyway, I thought I was sure about our decision, but now with the outbreak it has me second guessing myself. Any reassurances?
January 30th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Tofu Bacon
Welcome! I must admit that DTaP is probably the hardest vaccine to decline because whooping cough can be serious (particulary in infants under 6 months) and it is a loooooong illness... but the vaccine has shown itself, time and again, to not be effective enough in an outbreak; according to the CDC's Pink Book, the vaccine is as low as 56% effective, and the vaccine mainly makes symptoms less severe (but doesn't prevent you from being contagious) In my son's case, he caught whooping cough at 8 months old (despite completing the primary DTaP series) and sure we even unknowingly spread it to other people.
January 30th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Wow, that's something to think about. I fully admit, I am also a newbie to all this vaccine research as well, so any info is greatly appreciated.

I am beginning to think my head might explode!!! I think I need to spend some serious time in prayer as well as on the internet!!
January 30th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Tribeca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Also the P portion of the DTap is the most reactive part of the vaccine. Yes the acellular has made immediate/less serious reactions less common (swelling, fever,etc), but there has been no evidence that the serious complications are any less (encephalitis, possible long term consequences, death), I will try to find and post the study where I read this!

"An error can never become true however many times you repeat it. The truth can never be wrong, even if no one ever hears about it." Mahatma Gandhi
"Doctors put drugs of which they know little, into bodies of which they know less, for diseases of which they know nothing at all.” Voltaire
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
January 30th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Thank you, I'd appreciate that!
January 30th, 2009, 10:24 PM
mystimay's Avatar Queen LaClotha
Send a message via Yahoo to mystimay
I was about to come on and talk to you all about this. My friend lives in MI, the pertussis outbreak has been on the news and she's all up in arms .. yet she vax's.

This is the vax that led me from vaxxing instead of to it b/c of Quinn's issues with it. I admit I am slightly worried that is coming back around with how dangerous it is in small children. but the vax affects are so much worse, atleast in our home.

I really hope parents start to realize they don't HAVE to say yes .. that there are choices, not that ours is always right, but that can atleast do some research and make an educated choice uno?

February 1st, 2009, 02:54 PM
Tofu Bacon
^^ Actually, its doubtful that pertussis is "coming back", mainly because it never really went away; pertusis ifection has been following the same 2-5 year cycle since before the vaccine existed.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/...full/115/5/1422

Also, there are some other factors at play:
1. a new and more sensitive pertussis screening test came out a few years ago, which led to more people being properly diagosed. pertussis was likely underdiagnosed very frequently because it is usually so mild in teens and adults; pertussis cases don't exist unless a doctor actually reports them.

2. scientists theorize that pertussis bacteria has changed, which makes the vaccines less effective

3. there has been increased awareness in the fact that pertussis vaccine immunity wans after only a few years... coincidentally when a new pertussis vaccine was licenced for adoescents ant adults.
February 2nd, 2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the further info......I guess it's just easy to second guess yourself when you're "going against the norm."

I actually met another lady at church yesterday who doesn't vaccinate her children either......it's nice to talk with someone who understands that I can't knowingly inject all that junk into my new little blessing.

Thank you for the support here as well!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search