Is not going to well baby visits a good idea?

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2009, 08:07 AM
~Trinity~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It seems the more research I do the less I want to allow our children to be vaccinated.

DD has had some so far, but we've also been delaying some at her doctor visits. Every time we go in for a well baby check up of course they want to give her several vaccines. DH and I feel pressured by the doctors and nurses. I know some pedis won't accept patients if they refuse vaccines, I'm not sure if ours is like that as I haven't asked. Is it even possible to find a pedi these days that goes along with no vaxxing?

On the whole I like the practice we go to and we've been using them for going on 6 years now. I'm just tired of feeling pressured at each visit and dealing with the disapproval. You can tell they are not happy with our decision to delay on some and not vax on others.

I'm at the point where I'm considering not going in for well baby checkups. Our daughter has never had any health issues, she's had one very mild cold, other than that she couldn't be healthier, never been on any medications. She's meeting and even exceeding the milestone marks for her age and is growing well in all aspects. The only thing they would really be doing at her visits is measuring and weighing her, which we can certainly do at home. Obviously if she were to get sick and needed to go for a doctor visit we would take her, but right now there are no health concerns.

Does anyone else not take their baby in for regular checkups?

January 29th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Tribeca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First of all Welcome to the board! It is always good to see another mama doing her research!

As for WBV's I think you will find a mix of people here. Some don't go at all because their children are healthy and they see no reason. Some go just to establish a relationship with the docotr so that in the event they do need to take them in, than they can without scrambling to find a doc or don't want to take them to an ER or outpatient clinic.

Yes many peds will not treat your child if you don't vaccinate. Most will if you are delaying, but will continue to pressure you at each visit and generally will make you feel like a bad parent or a complete idiot or both. Some peds will see an unvaccinated or undervaccinated child but will make you sign the "bad mommy" form. I just went through this. After 3 wbv's, my ped wanted me to sihn this ridiculous form. I refused and knew that meant that I had to look for another doc. I have found one that is less uptight about the whole vax issue and I will be meeting her for the first time in about 2 weeks. I plan on going for a few WBV's just to establish a relationship with her (assuming I like her!) and then after that I probably won't go unless my son is ill.

Many people here see family practice docs as they also tend to be mellower about the whole issue. It is hard to find doctors that won't pressure you about the vaxes, whether they agree to see your child, sign a form or not.

I see you are in CT. I live in CT as well. If you want to PM me where you are and if we are close than I can give you a list of names of docs I have heard are open minded about no vaxing or delayed/selective vaxing.
I hope you stick around and check out the stickies and tons of great info here...never stop researching!!

"An error can never become true however many times you repeat it. The truth can never be wrong, even if no one ever hears about it." Mahatma Gandhi
"Doctors put drugs of which they know little, into bodies of which they know less, for diseases of which they know nothing at all.” Voltaire
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
January 29th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Jewinjuwa's Avatar We walk by faith
Trinity! We don't do WBVs and haven't since about 6 months. I was like you, I found them unnecessary.
January 29th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Super Mommy
I have a 2.5-year-old and didn't go past the first 3 visits (2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months). I took her to my naturopath when she was 7 months, otherwise, nothing else! But I'm not big on doctors anyway, and would only use allopathic medicine for emergencies or big traumas.
January 29th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I took my DD to her first 2 well baby visits and none since then. I called her peds office because I was kind of freaked out like you are and I was scared they were going to say that he wouldnt see DD anymore if I didnt vax. Well the receptionist told me that I had to talk to her ped in person. So I went in prepared to leave if he argued with me and he just told me that there were really only 2 vaccines that he wanted to see me get her and that was it. I still refused the 2 and he told me to just research it and think about it.

I was really surprised because this is a ped where every child does get the vaccines. Anyways you have every right to be worried but I felt much worse for giving into the ped with my first DD and doing as THEY said rather than what I wanted to do for her. It made me feel like a failure to her. Like everytime someone tells me that I need to do something with her that I would do it rather than do what I thought was best. I think people put too much stock in what doctors say. They are put up on a pedastal in our society so we see them as authority firgures, much like a police officer or something. Its hard to tell them no but at the end of the day you are the only one who can make a decision for your child.

Sorry that was a book and I dont even reguarly post here.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
January 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM
~Trinity~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Jeri! Hi ladies! Thanks for all the replies already. : )

Our plan for now is to go ahead and go to her next checkup -which is in early March- and tell the doctor how we feel. I might bring in some info to back up our reasons. If they go along with us not vaxxing great, if not we will just find another doctor. I'm happy that my DH is with me 100% on this.

And so cool to see another CT mama here. I would love to see a list of more open minded doctors in our area.

January 29th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we dont do baby/kids check ups regularly , only once in a blue moon

January 29th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Tribeca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Hi Jeri! Hi ladies! Thanks for all the replies already. : )

Our plan for now is to go ahead and go to her next checkup -which is in early March- and tell the doctor how we feel. I might bring in some info to back up our reasons. If they go along with us not vaxxing great, if not we will just find another doctor. I'm happy that my DH is with me 100% on this.

And so cool to see another CT mama here. I would love to see a list of more open minded doctors in our area.[/b]
Let us know how that appt goes. I would caution you about bringing info to back up your reasons. My experience and many others out there has shown that this is pointless and counter productive. They are usually not open to anything you have to offer and you don't need to explain yourself! With that said, you may have a different experience!

"An error can never become true however many times you repeat it. The truth can never be wrong, even if no one ever hears about it." Mahatma Gandhi
"Doctors put drugs of which they know little, into bodies of which they know less, for diseases of which they know nothing at all.” Voltaire
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
January 29th, 2009, 03:14 PM
MommaNator's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was just questioning why we went to DD's last WBV. We refused any vaxes this time so what was the point? Perhaps because we did come to so many WBVs, DD's doctor will see her the same day when she is sick, every time. Maybe the WBVs contributed to good faith. DD sees a family physician and while I have not told her that DD will have all further vaxes delayed (and skip some entirely), I did say we would not get any at that visit, and we did not get any at the previous WBV. I got a mild "well, if you think you've done your research thoroughly and are confident in your conclusions" and that was it. Maybe family physicians are a little better about working with parents on vaxes.

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

January 29th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Tofu Bacon
I do WBVs, but our pedi schedules them less frequently because we're not vaxing. I really don't mind going because he is completely supportive, and I want to have a documented history of being proactive with the kids' health, since not vaxing is enough of a "red flag" as it is Ironically, its sick visits that we don't do!
January 29th, 2009, 06:17 PM
cheesecake's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't do them although DS has to go to Preemie Follow Up appointments.

Sherilyn ~ Mama to Jade & Colt
January 30th, 2009, 10:57 PM
mystimay's Avatar Queen LaClotha
Send a message via Yahoo to mystimay
Cheesecake I LOVE your blinkie (nicubaby one!)

Anyways .. on topic here.

I too was pondering this. We have our two month well baby check next week. I was VERY honest with my ped, telling him that I was delay, and selective vaxxing. I do want Sawyer to recieved Tetnus (older of course), and am contemplating two other ones... BUT needless to say, he will NOT be receiving them at his 2 month check. The doc is from Nigeria, and told me that he really recommends just a few vax'es, but respects my opinion. I haven't decided if we'll go to the routine well baby checks, minus vaxes .. or not ... I worry about the 'bad mommy' judgement So basically, I don't know what to tell you, but I feel your dilemma

Nice to see you on this board hon!!

January 31st, 2009, 12:58 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
I'm Michelle and I haven't taken my now 18 month old dd to the doctor for a WBV since one year. I should just find a new doctor that doesn't make me feel like a bad mother but I haven't had a chance to yet. She does see a chiropractor on a regular basis and has been to a homeopath (who used to be a medical doctor) as well. I hope you like it here since you can relate to us.

Cheers,

Michelle
February 2nd, 2009, 12:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyInWaiting Send a message via MSN to LadyInWaiting
WE did WBV up to a year with DD with DS.. eh maybe not. Who knows. Th eonly problems my kids have/had was reflux.

February 2nd, 2009, 05:29 PM
punktart's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took DD to a family Dr at 2 weeks just so my family would get off my back. She won't go again. I have an infant scale and am monitoring her weight and height, everything is great. If she gets sick, i'll take her in up until 6 months. After that we do a wait-and-see.

I use mostly intuition. My DS is 5 and has only been to a Dr. 5 times in his life. (2 weeks, 2 months+ER visit for his reaction with his vaxes, ER visit @ 2 years for a dislocated elbow, and to a walk-in clinic a few months ago for a ear infection that wasn't getting better.)
Pregnant with #3, due July 28, 2015
February 4th, 2009, 08:37 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We skipped a couple of WBVs during Amelia's first year (my first DD was completely vaxed - poor thing, I didn't know any better then.) We did end up leaving our old pediatrician because they refused to keep us if I wouldn't vax - and do it on schedule, goshdarnit! - so we missed one while I was looking for a new doc. I think we skipped nine months, and I'm sure we'll be skipping 15 months. Our new pedi is one of those who will keep us if we delay vaxing (I don't think she knows that I don't intend to get ANY yet, she'll probably be even less thrilled about that!) and really puts the pressure on every time we go in. I'm definitely not opening myself up for THAT any more often than I have to.

I don't think my older DD will be going in for her 5-year-old checkup either, unless I magically find a non-vax-friendly doctor for her. At Milly's last WBV, the doctor noted that Rachael's 5-year was coming up soon and spouted off a big ol' list of vaxes she'll be getting. Umm, I don't think so.

Overall...I tend to be overly cautious, I think. I signed off on the "bad mama" form, but still want to be as "good mama" as possible in case she gets sick and I NEED to get in there, you know? It may be crazy, but with not vaxing and homeschooling and generally being non-conformist in my parenting choices, I want to give the appearance of being responsible/cooperative to those that base it on things like WBVs. Does that make any sense?
February 5th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I haven't taken Van to his WBV's. I went once, but it really as just an ear infection appointment. Other than blood draws, he's never been poked. Our CNP is very open and lets me do whatever I feel is best. I dread moving (and it's coming soon!).

My Ovulation Chart
February 5th, 2009, 10:22 AM
MamaFish's Avatar Swimming Upstream
Quote:
I want to have a documented history of being proactive with the kids' health, since not vaxing is enough of a "red flag" as it is Ironically, its sick visits that we don't do![/b]
Same here. Although I haven't been in 1.5 years I do want to take the dc in soon. I homeschool and even though I don't have to have routine exams for them (since I'm under the private tutor law) I do want to have a record that I took them occasionally.

I don't get the best attention from my ped, but his line is "you're the mama" whenever I decline something. Neither he nor the nurses have ever pressured me. It's a simple yes or no for him.

Quote:
I do want Sawyer to recieved Tetnus (older of course),[/b]
Just wanted to say my "baby's" name is Sawyer, too! Sawyer Reed. We had a few "where'd you get that from?" reactions, but mostly people like it. He'll be 2 at 6:35 tonight.

dd SK (closing in on 15)
dd AB (12.5)

ds TJ (10.5)
ds SR (7.75)
dd LG (5.5)
eight babies perfected in heaven
February 5th, 2009, 10:25 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I see a holistic MD for my daughter, she does 2 well visits a year. This works great for me!
February 5th, 2009, 08:59 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I do WBVs, but our pedi schedules them less frequently because we're not vaxing. I really don't mind going because he is completely supportive, and I want to have a documented history of being proactive with the kids' health, since not vaxing is enough of a "red flag" as it is Ironically, its sick visits that we don't do![/b]

Ya the first year...ours were a lot less frequent since we weren't vax'ing. Honestly...after this one I am sure I wont go to the 18month one as everything is going well, but I will need to do a 3 year one for preschool and then again at 5 for kindergarten, but that will be it, unless I have concerns about development or what not. I am not pressured by my dr to vax...but I am by the nurses. Well...one dr in the practice, but I dont see her now that I know this And she was nice about it *if thats possible lol*, just wanted to *inform me* and let me know *its never too late* lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search