so mad I could scream!

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My mom works for a family practice - and with the mmr issues I'd rather do the single doses and they're near impossible now that they stopped production or are stopping. So I called my mom to ask if they had the single doses of the measles and rubella in stock or if they could order it. They do. But of course she gives me a big old long lecture about how misinformed I am. My daughter is going to get hep b by breathing air, and is going to die from chicken pox. I wasn't asking her personal opinion on the matter. BUt of course she said, "parents are just supposed to do what the doctor says, it gets way to complicated when parents try to change the system or do stuff against the normal that is when mistakes happen." URG! Hello its called education, its call there is a reason why Hailey is not getting certain vaccines. I'm just at the point right now where unless the school says something about her records not being up to date I'm just going to forget about it. I might contact the minute clinic or urgent care since both here do vaccinations ... but I'm not in a hurry for this. I'm just so fed up with my mom because she from day one has had something to say about everything....everything! I don't discuss this stuff with her, and she wants to be the one to give the stupid shot to DD and I don't want her to. Aside from the fact that I think she's a lunatic, I don't think grandma should be associated with a doctor/shot. Oh, and the only way they could do it is to set it up as a 2 year old well visit, and she does not need a 2 year old well visit. She has her own peditrition and I do like that peditrition. I don't want to change her doctor. PERIOD. I'm just fed up with her. How are medical professionals so ignorant. Of course she thinks Hailey's doctor is not educated enough because he said there is no reason to give a healthy child hep b in early childhood unless requested by the parent. And her doctor ADVISED SHE GET chicken and have lifelong immunity. And I don't think the measles or anything are really that life threatening. I guess we'll be getting a religious exception, I just hope it doesn't come back to haunt me.
January 30th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Tribeca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

Sorry you are having to deal with this. It is VERY hard when you have a family member who just goes with the majority view without having educated themselves at all. I don't discuss my choices with my parents because they don't agree with me and have not taken me up on any offers to look at the MOUNDS of information I have to share with them.

Tell your mom to MYOB :biggrin:

Why would you think getting an exemption will come back to bite you?? In what way??

As for medical ignorance..in the MD's defense. They are simply educating us with what they have all been taught in medical school and what they are told by Big Pharma. Most do not go out of their way to find eveidence that would directly contradict everything they have been taught!! They read studies, they educate themselves, but the information they use to do so is usually supplied by those who have a conflict of interest.

"An error can never become true however many times you repeat it. The truth can never be wrong, even if no one ever hears about it." Mahatma Gandhi
"Doctors put drugs of which they know little, into bodies of which they know less, for diseases of which they know nothing at all.” Voltaire
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
January 30th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Tofu Bacon
I'm sorry you're being backed into a corner like this What's so silly about the whole thing is that you are trying TO vaccinate her, just not all at once! It is unconscionable for this all to come down to the "my way or the highway" attitude among some doctors and state lawmakers I would never want to see a parent put in a position to feel like they are "lying"... but when the only other choice is to do something that you are completely against, what's a parent supposed to do?
January 30th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I normally NEVER EVER EVER discuss issues with my mother BECAUSE she is an ignorant medical professional. H's doctor is great because he and I did go through each vaccine individually - this is the first vaccine conflict we've had but he still isn't "pushing" KWIM? He's an older guy, and is pro-parent (only gives advice if asked, parent in charge, never forces his opinion). And what I love is he can site studies on both sides and has no issues discussing in a non-biased way. Our last doc was my way or no way. Back on topic....I just asked if they had the stupid shot and get a whole flipping lecture. I just don't get it. My brothers and I had the chicken pox - I don't remember it being terrible. I got to miss school and got a tv in my room for the first time ever. She's said before she hates how parents touture their kids by spreading out vaccines and requesting splitting vaccines. Its easier to just give one stick with everything. HOW does a medical professional say that in one sentence, yet admit that children with autism have higher levels of mercury in their bodies and the total amount of mercury in numerous shots at one includes more then the "recommended" amount. I just don't get it. I just tell her I follow a schedule that is recommended by her doctor and normally she drops it. If I take H there she will think she can make the recommendation and I'll listen.
January 30th, 2009, 10:36 PM
mystimay's Avatar Queen LaClotha
Send a message via Yahoo to mystimay
That is so frustrating. a lot of people buy into what the doctors say as the only way to do things, myself included for my first child. Some people are closed minded, and some people just don't question their doctor's, or question the 'norm'. I am so sorry that your mother doesn't seem to respect your wishes in regards to YOUR child. (hug). Idk what state you live in, but .. I too am wondering how filing an exemption would come back to haunt you? My two older children and not fully vax'd, and I just signed a paper saying I was aware of it. and simply that.

January 31st, 2009, 01:00 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
January 31st, 2009, 07:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
SS momma. That is actually one of the few things that my mother and I agree on. She has been a nurse for almost 30 years and she had all of us kids vaccinated. But when I was getting my eldest vaccinated she told me she didnt agree with it and so I researched it.

I know how it feels to not be supported and it sucks. But just know that you are doing what you think is best. Oh and I got a religious exemption too.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
January 31st, 2009, 11:56 AM
MommaNator's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry about the bossy mother. I have one too. She now claims that I was extremely sick from the chicken pox but this is the first I've heard of it. She also claims that when she was young, "people were dying left and right from measles" and "we were all terrified of measles." I think she is confusing polio with measles in her memory; 2 of her brothers had polio and it was a big deal and they were very ill. Anyway since she knows I am delaying/refusing some vaxes for DD, she is constantly telling me about pro-vax articles she has read in "Parents" magazine and such, and telling me that every one died of every thing when she is young. Driving me nuts! Anyway, good for you for sticking to your principles and doing what you feel is best for your child. It is very hard with your own mother in your ear disagreeing with you.

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search