Log In Sign Up

The birth of my twin miracles

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To C/S Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Posts: n/a
The Bad News: After years of infertility, including 2 IUIs and 3 IVFs, I desperately wanted a natural birth to finally heal from years of infertility treatments and feeling like a “science project”…but instead, I wound up with a c-section and pain that, months later, still hasn’t subsided.

The Good News: Both of my babies are healthy and happy miracles whom I cherish every day!

<div align="center">My Birth Story</div>
Monday, July 28
On Monday, July 28th, I went in for a 1:30 doctor’s appointment at Long Warf for a non-stress test. The results of my 24 hour urine test were not good: 0.16 was the maximum and mine was at 0.85. Nurse A. gave me these results. My blood pressure was 150/100. Nurse A. called over and told the hospital we were coming, due to concerns over pre-eclampsia. The blonde female doctor with the accent and her fellow came in to discuss these concerns. Jeff brought his car to work to leave in the parking garage and then Ben brought him back to me. I was waiting in my car in the parking lot, as we had driven separate cars. Meanwhile, I had called my mom and told her we were going to the hospital. We got a little lost on the way because we were both nervous, but we made it. A young man brought us up to Triage and a nurse put an IV in my left hand. They took blood, monitored the fetal heartbeats and put the blood pressure cuff on me. Doctor F. wanted to induce right then but another doctor who asked us to call him “Isaac” decided to just monitor me instead and to wait and see, since some of my blood pressures were normal. A female doctor came in to do the Group B Streptococcus Test which was uncomfortable. Around 9:30 pm, we found out we would not be going home that night. The doctors wanted me to stay and be monitored around the clock. They put me in a room on the Maternal Special Care floor. So Jeff went home to get my bag, which luckily I had recently packed. He also went to get us some late dinner. Throughout the night, the fetal hearts were monitored as was my blood pressure, pulse and urine proteins. I had to urinate in a bucket placed over the toilet so they could test the protein level.

Tuesday, July 29
Today we thought we might be going home. Doctor U. came in to explain our options. He said I could go home “since it’s a free country,” or stay and be monitored for two days and then be induced at 36 weeks, or be induced today. We decided to go with the first option. All day, the nurses and doctors continued to monitor me. They were still very worried about the pre-eclampsia. That night my parents visited and brought us milkshakes. We celebrated that the twins’ birth would be on July 31st!

Wednesday, July 30
The doctors were extremely concerned my protein levels were worsening so a nurse was called to put a urinary catheter inside me to get a “clean” urine sample. That was excruciating and also mortifying, since Jeff was in the room. It turns out my previous samples had not been contaminated, as this test came back the same as all the others! I was monitored all day long by the doctors and nurses. Finally, in the late afternoon, Dr. Lin put in a Foly catheter. This hurt even worse than the urinary catheter. He had some trouble getting it in. The fellow from the doctor’s appointment was with him, assisting. Jeff was in the room holding my hand. It turned out the fellow’s birthday was tomorrow so we laughed and joked about how the babies would be sharing her birthday. I left some cuts on his hand from my nails from squeezing so hard through the pain. It was hard to get the catheter in because I was not dilated at all. My body was not ready to go into labor; the babies didn’t want to come out. That night we watched a Ben Stiller movie to try and take my mind off the painful contractions, which had started up due to the Foly. I did some laps around the hospital to help ease the pain as well as speed up the contractions. The catheter hoses were a nuisance and dark liquid began dripping out of them, which was dirty and scary but normal, it turned out. The catheter made it difficult to do much. Jeff had to even help me change my underwear. I ate a light dinner, because of the pain and nerves.

Thursday, July 31
This morning Dr. Lin and the Fellow came in. I wished her a happy birthday and she laughed! Dr. Lin then tugged on the Foly. It came right out. He told me I was between 4 and 5 centimeters dilated. He said, “You are having these babies tonight!” I was ecstatic and visions of my natural birth danced in my head. I was so proud of myself I had gotten this far without pain relief! Both babies were indeed head-down and ready to be born. Meanwhile, Jeff was back at the house feeding the animals and he was about to shower when I called him with the good news. He raced back just as they were transferring me to the Labor and Delivery floor. He packed up all our belongings. I wished I had time to take a shower but I was rushed off to my new room to further the induction process. There we met Jessica A., the best nurse I have ever had. She and another nurse Jen (who was wearing Amazing Grace) made us feel so comfortable. They started up the IV with magnesium, which burned my hand very badly. The magnesium was to control my blood pressure in order to prevent my pre-eclampsia from becoming eclampsia, either by a stroke or seizure. The magnesium made me feel the worst I have ever felt in my life. My whole body ached, but the worst part was the headache I experienced. My face and neck grew intolerably flushed and I lost most of my vision. They also administered Pitocin through the IV to speed up the contractions. The monitoring continued of my blood pressure, pulse, and the fetal heart beats. From this point on, I had to use a bed pan which was mortifying and disgusting. I felt dirty, hot, and sick. I was not allowed to leave the bed due to the effects of the magnesium (loss of vision and muscle control). I also had to start a liquid diet at this point (liquids, Jell O, fruit ice, broth), even though I was starving and hadn’t eaten since the night before, and that had been only a few bites. My parents came up, which was difficult for me because they just sat in the room while I was in agony and wanted privacy but I didn’t want to hurt their feelings by throwing them out. Dr. Lin came in to do an ultrasound and luckily both babies were fine and head down. That night, Dr Lee came in and it seemed I was still dilated the same amount. I had never progressed. This was probably because, ironically, magnesium sulfate is used to stop labor and it was interfering with the Pitocin, relaxing my uterus to the point where it had stopped contracting. She decided to keep me on the Pitocin, hoping it would indeed work. I got no sleep, since the magnesium also makes you constantly have to urinate, so I needed the bed pan about every hour. I tried to sleep, but my sheets were literally drenched with sweat and from melting ice packs so it was impossible. Worst of all was knowing the contractions had stopped and realizing what would probably happen in the morning.

Friday, August 1
I was still not in labor. The doctors started me on Misoprostol. They examined me and I was still only about 4-5 centimeters dilated. I had not made any progress. Doctor U. came in and told me that if I hadn’t made progress by 1pm, they would do a C-section. Jeff asked if it would be possible to wait a little longer and the doctor said, “No, these babies will be born today.” At this point, we were both tearing up. I asked the doctor if I could get up to at least shower and he said he would have the nurse bring me a bucket of soapy water and a washcloth. So Jeff helped me bathe in bed. I still felt filthy and smelly afterward, however. By this point, I was ravenous and started fantasizing about eating different foods. A nurse named Joy came in and told me about her C-section and how well it went, to ease my nerves, in case it came to that. All morning long, the doctors came in to check on my progress. I was still having only one contraction every once in awhile; it was nothing close to being in labor. So it was decided, at 1 pm, that I would have a C-section. At 2 o’clock they took me into the OR. Everything was a mad rush and I didn’t understand why. It felt like an emergency situation to me. Dr. Lin and Jessica rolled me onto the operating table. I received the spinal and I met the other doctors who I could barely see due to their masks and my vision loss from the magnesium. They put in a urinary catheter. Luckily, I couldn’t feel it this time. My arms were both stretched out and they monitored my blood pressure, pulse and other vitals. I was given oxygen since I was having trouble breathing. I felt weak and dizzy and could barely see. I heard one doctor yelling to hurry up and stop the magnesium and he sounded frantic. One doctor poked me all over with a needle and told me to tell him when I felt pain. I saw Joy writing down notes on a giant white board on the wall. Jeff came in in his mask and scrubs and sat down to my left. He was emotional and excited, as was I. I felt a tremendous about of pulling and tugging and my body seemed to shake back and forth as they tried to get to the babies. At 2:59, Caroline was born and at 3 pm, Ryan was born. Soon after, a woman brought Caroline over, all bundled up, for me to see. She weighed 5 pounds, 9 and ¾ ounces. Then a woman brought Ryan over and told me she was taking him to the Special Care Nursery due to his low birth weight of only 4 pounds. I was shocked, scared, angry. All along, the sonographers and doctors had told me both my babies were measuring at normal gestational sizes and at my last doctor’s appointment the doctor had estimated Ryan to be 4 pounds, 10 ounces. I was so scared for my little baby. I was also agitated since I could barely see either of them due to the effects of the magnesium. Jeff was taken to the recovery room. Then I was taken to the recovery room and a hot blanket was placed over me due to my low blood pressure. They brought Caroline in and I got to hold her. They weighed her and Jessica brought me some apple juice. They wheeled me down to the Special Care Nursery to see Ryan. He was so tiny and looked so fragile. I was then taken to room 1038 of the West Pavilion on floor ten. They put big cuffs on my calves that tightened and loosened every few minutes. It felt like pythons were wrapping themselves around my legs and then relenting and then squeezing again. This was to help with circulation. My parents gave us flowers, two little celebratory bags and a balloon. They were happy and got to see the babies.

Saturday, August 2
They finally took me off the magnesium at 3:30 and then I finally got to eat solid foods again and use the bathroom on my own. The hospital food was good and I got to order all my meals from an actual menu. Terry and Donna (a nurse and a PCA) helped me into the bathroom to get washed up and to remove the catheter. Donna said my incision looked great, unlike her botched incision. I was no longer bed ridden and it felt great. However, my muscles were still so weak I could barely walk. I was adamant about seeing Ryan, so the nurse allowed Jeff to push me in a wheelchair down to the nursery. We went down and I cried seeing him hooked up to all the machinery. But I knew it was all for the best and I also knew it could have been a lot worse. The pediatrician stopped in to let us know both babies were doing well. I took care of Caroline the best I could, given my weakened state. It was a dream come true to have my two babies. At least one was with me.

Sunday, August 3
I took my first shower in days and it was wonderful! The nurse had to wrap my hand up so water wouldn’t get into the IV that was still in my left hand, although no longer dispensing medications. We went downstairs to see Ryan and the nurse, Suzanne, who was responsible for caring for him, was very rude to us. I cried all the way back in the elevator. From that point on, Jeff decided he would do all of Ryan’s feedings and be down there as much as he could while I healed and cared for Caroline. We found out Ryan passed his hearing test and were ecstatic. The pediatrician came again to check on the babies and deemed all well. I continued trying breast feeding with Caroline and using the hospital pump to send milk to Ryan. I also supplemented Caroline’s feedings with formula, since I was not making much milk at that point. Lactation consultants visited me and were very helpful. A social worker visited me to discuss my feelings about Ryan’s stay in the NICU and I assured her I was doing fine. Doctor U. came to visit me and told me how proud he was at how I had handled myself and complimented me on my resiliency. I started crying despite myself. I felt overwhelmed with all that had happened and so worried for Ryan. I made a joke the hormones were getting to me and he left after he was satisfied I would be alright.

Monday, August 4
We submitted our Social Security paperwork on the babies. Doctors and nurses continued to monitor my incision for any signs of infection. The pediatrician said both babies looked great. We found out they might move Ryan to the Special Care nursery on our floor and we were overjoyed. We then found out he might be able to go home with us the next day since he was doing so well.

Tuesday, August 5
It was touch and go at times, but we left the hospital with BOTH babies!!!!!!!!!!!! This was one of the happiest days of my life.
Reply With Quote
February 9th, 2009, 06:29 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 23,164
I'm so glad both babies were able to go home with you. How far along were you in your pregnancy? Any photos to share? I'm sorry you had such a long and unpleasant stay in the hospital

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
Reply With Quote
February 10th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Posts: n/a
I was 36 weeks exactly when they did the c/s. I will have to post some photos. They were so tiny, especially my son! I think I need to create a photobucket account first...? Thank you for reading my story, it means a lot. :biggrin:
Reply With Quote
February 14th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Washington
Posts: 204
Ohhh my goodness, your story is amazing and scary all at the same time. Thanks for sharing!!
Thank you so much Caitlin(Cherry Berry) for my AWESOME siggy!!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0