Log In Sign Up

Kaeden's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To C/S Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2009, 04:56 AM
mrschamberlain's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 2,468
Monday, January 5 I woke up with horrible contractions. DH and I went to L&D, and my doc said I was 2 cm dilated and was having a lot of pain contractions. They started me on an IV because they thought maybe I was dehydrated and the IV would knock them out. That didn't work. So they gave me 2 or 3 shots of turbutaline, and finally it worked. It didn't stop them completely, but definitely slowed them down. Since I hadn't dilated anymore, my dr. sent me home. I was 35 weeks and 4 days, and he said he didn't think I would make it much longer. So DH and I headed home.

I again woke up in the morning in labor, and boy, was it much worse. I told DH to start getting ready because I knew this was it. We got to the hospital around 2pm, and I was now 4cm dilated. So my doctor said, "ok, we're just going to go ahead and deliver". *I actually was planning on having a c-section because I did not want to deliver my other twin son who had passed away vaginally. I thought that would be too much for me. And Kaeden had also had a really distressed time while I was pregnant with him (I was told about 3 times that he may die). So I didn't want anything to happen to him during a vaginal birth*
So then I asked when we would have him, and my dr said "probably 2 hours". The anesthesiologist came in to talk to me about getting my spinal and what to expect. She then asked me had I eaten that day. I told her at about 12:00 I had a piece of pineapple and a strawberry. So of course since I said that, they said they had to wait longer to deliver. So they told me we would deliver at 5:30. Since I had to wait, and was in labor, we decided on an epidural. The whole time I had it, I kept complaining that I wasn't numb. I don't think the nurses ever took me seriously. Then my c-section gets pushed to 7:30 because there was an emergency one. Then it got pushed to 9:30 because the anesthesiologist was sitting in on another surgery. They didn't call an on call one because mine wasn't an emergency or didn't need to happen right away.

So my doctor (I absolutely love him to death) comes in and knows I'm freaked out about feeling the surgery. He tells me 2 weeks ago he was doing a c-section and the woman started to feel it halfway through. He promised me this wouldn't happen to me; he'd have a talk with the anesthesiologist beforehand. So they wheeled me in at 9:30, brought DH in and he started filming. I was still scared I wasn't numb enough even though they "topped off" my IV. My dr. pinched me and I couldn't feel it, so I thought it would be fine. WRONG!

The first cut I didn't feel, just pressure and stuff. Then BAM! He did another huge cut and I felt everything. I couldn't scream or say anything. I just cried and looked horrified. DH started to freak out, so my dr. asked him if I could feel it. So my dr. stopped, and gave the anesthesiologist a really mean look. The awful anesthesiologist gave me more meds in my epidural and said we had to wait 5 min for it to take effect. 5 minutes? I'm cut wide open and bleeding! Not to mention I noticed on the video that she had a whole injection tube thing full of medicine, and when she gave me more, she didn't even make a dent in the amount. Finally she said, "ok you can TRY again".

Another cut and AGAIN I wasn't numb at all. This time I screamed "ow ow ow". So my dr. again had to stop. The anesthesiologist was like "You're gonna be okay", and gave me sedation. I'm sorry, but after that, who WOULD be okay, kwim? I open my eyes and see DH behind me holding our son, and I start crying because I missed him pulling him out. DH also didn't record it because once the anesthesiologist messed up, he was paying more attention to me and my heart rate. (he said it dropped really low)

It was pretty horrifying, but I'm proud of myself for enduring something like that. I do not at all regret having a c-section because I know it was for the best. I'm just upset that the anesthesiologist couldn't do her job properly.

Kaeden Glenn was born at 9:47pm weighing 4 pounds 5 ounces and scored a 9!

Angie-wife to Justin, mom to Kaeden, and TTC #2
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0