Log In Sign Up

Nolan's Birth Story 3/4/09

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To C/S Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2009, 02:33 PM
SamuelsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,541
We were all ready for Nolan to arrive on March 5 via planned c-section but he just couldn't wait! I was sound asleep a little after 4 AM on March 4 when I woke up to feeling my water break! I jumped out of bed (as fast as you can at 9 months pg!) because I was worried about soaking the bed. I went in the bathroom and was calling as quietly as I could for Andrew because I didn't want to wake up Sam. I said, "I'm pretty sure my water just broke!" He was mostly asleep and was like, "Wha-wha-what?" I told him to get me the phone and I called my parents right away to tell them. They weren't planning on coming until that evening after work so I knew they would want to get things moving since we were obviously having a baby today not tomorrow! I told them and Andrew that I wasn't even feeling any contractions yet so we would just wait it out for a bit. I was hoping we might be able to hold off 4 or 5 hours until they could get there, but I also didn't want to wait too long since we were doing a c-section. I decided to take a shower. I also had my pre-op instructions for the next day so I already knew what not to do. As I was finishing my shower, Sam woke up. We tried to get him to go back to bed but he knew something was up so that was a no go. We all laid down in our bed and watched a little Barney but then the contractions started at about 4:45. While I was sure that we'd have a lot of time, I've also heard stories about how fast a second baby can come, so I decided we better not take any chances. We finished packing our bag and got Sam dressed. At 5, I called our friends who were on call in case this happened to let them know that we would drop Sam off at their house in about 1/2 hour. I called my parents to let them know we were headed to the hospital, we got loaded up, and took Sam to our friends. He did fabulous and went right on in. I gave him a kiss and told him grandma and grandpa were coming to get him and that they would bring him to see us and Baby Nolan at the hospital. The hospital is really close so we got there about 6 AM, got checked in and they put us in the assessment room. I got hooked up to the monitors. Nolan's heartrate was great and you could see the contractions. They did the test for amniotic fluid because at that point I wasn't having a lot any more. After she did that it was like the flood gates opened again and I was gushing with each contraction. The nurse was like, "Well, I'll send it anyway but I guess that was unnecessary!" They got us moved over to a regular room about 7:30. They got my IV started and my dr. came in. He was like, "What are you doing, this isn't the right day!" He was making calls to the pedi and getting things set up in the OR because they had done a c/s in the middle of the night and things weren't quite ready to go again. He came in at 8 and told the nurse to have me in the OR at 8:30. So we called everyone to let them know we were going in. The nurse did the shave and Andrew got his nifty white jumpsuit etc. They took me over at 8:30. Our room was the last one on the unit next to the double doors and the OR was right on the other side, very close. When we got in there, the anesthesiologist decided that I hadn't gotten enough fluids in so they put in another IV to get more fluids in faster. They put the oxygen mask on me, and he started on the spinal. It was freezing in there and I was shaking. It was a bit overwhelming and the nurses were so sweet wiping my tears and asking me questions about the baby and Sam to keep me distracted. Then they laid me down and DH was there which helped a lot. Everything went quickly and well and Nolan was born yelling at the world at 9:08 AM. Andrew watched him come out and they held him up so I could see. He was so chubby, with chubby cheeks, and we could tell he was big! They took him over to get checked out. His APGARS were 9/9 so he was doing great. We could hear him just screaming! I was asking "Is he ok?" and the anesthesiologist, who was a very nice guy, said, "You can tell by his crying that he's doing great!" Then the nurse brought him over so I could see him and then Andrew went with him to finish up what they needed to do with him while I was sewn up. It was funny, after he was born I had such a peace, before that I was a nervous mess, crying, but after that I just relaxed. My dr. was great, telling me that he wasn't using staples which was important to me, so he was great about letting me know what was going on. A nurse came back to tell us that he weight 9lb. 6.5 oz.! I was shocked that he was so big, Sam was 8lb. 10oz. and almost 2 weeks later than Nolan. After I was put back together, they transferred me to my bed right there in the OR and I had to stay for 1/2 hour in there for observation and then they took me back the 10 feet to my room! Andrew was in there with Nolan, they had a warmer and everything right in our room, so he wrapped him up right away and brought him to me. He said, "He's hungry Mommy!" So we were able to bf right away. Later on, around 2 my parents arrived with Sam, and he was so proud in his Big Brother shirt and he held him and kissed him. It was so sweet!

Reply With Quote
March 8th, 2009, 04:22 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 23,164
Awww! What a great story! I love how Sam was with him. And boy oh boy what a big boy! I'm so happy everything worked out so beautifully for you.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
Reply With Quote
March 11th, 2009, 08:47 PM
mama2one's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 17,097
What a great story! you told it so well!

Congratulations! Nolan is beautiful! how are you recovering?

Thank you Katarina for this adorable siggy!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0