Log In Sign Up

Jackson Valet

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To C/S Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2006, 06:33 AM
*Cassie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 18,780
Jackson Valet
October 2nd, 2006
8lbs 3oz
21 inches
40 weeks and 6 days

After getting absolutely no sleep Sunday night, we headed to the hospital around quarter after eight Monday morning. When we got there, I got changed, and the nurse talked to us for a little bit, and then hooked me up to the monitors. Shortly after we got there, Natalie arrived (my doula) and we were just waiting for the doctor. The doctor got there at around 9am, and broke my water while doing an internal. I wasn't changed dialation wise (still a 3), but was a bit more effaced. Him breaking my water was kind of uncomfortable, but nothing too bad. As soon as I got out of bed, I got a huge gush that totally soaked my socks. Good thing I had another pair Dale, Natalie and I started walking around for a bit to get things moving. I was having contractions right away, nothing I couldn't keep moving through and not really close together. We walked down to the cafeteria to get something to eat and went back to my room to eat it. Once we were done eating, I sat on the birth ball for about 15 minutes before that got too uncomfortable. The contractions were getting a little more intense, but still nothing awful. We headed to the jacuzzi about noonish and I stayed in there for a good two hours. It was while I was in there that things really picked up. The contractions were getting pretty close together and really intense. The nurse had come in and said the doctor wanted to check me, so I got out of the tub and we walked back to my room. She hooked me up to the monitors again for a bit, and then the doctor came in and I was at a 5-6 and almost completely effaced. After this we didn't really leave my room. I alternated between my bed and the chair, and just standing and swaying. For awhile I was laying on my side and Natalie was massaging my back and Dale was holding my hand. By now things were really moving and I was barely getting a break. I had my nurse bring in the laughing gas and boy was I sucking on that! After awhile though, that really wasn't helping. The contractions were soooo intense and had no break at all in between. I was trying so hard but my body was fighting them so hard and I was exhausted. I kept saying "I can't" "I need it to stop" "I'm too tired". After about another hour and a bit of that, Dale, Natalie, Cloe (the nurse) and I decided that getting an epidural would be more beneficial since my body was fighting the contractions. I was 8cm now, and transition was not treating me well. I was sick a couple times, and had the shakes really badly. Baby's heart rate was dropping a bit once in awhile too, so we thought taking some of the stress off and letting me have a rest would help things out. The anesthesiologist said I was the best epidural he has done since he started at that hospital in July The relief was almost instant and I dozed off right away I was able to talk and Natalie said "Oh my gosh, it's good to hear your voice. I don't think I've heard you talk since lunch time." I was on the monitors continuousy now, and the doctor and nurses kept kind of standing over it and I wondered what was going on. When the doctor checked me at about 8pm, I was almost fully dialated. He said he could just feel a bit of the rim of the cervix still hanging on. He told me that the baby's heart rate was dropping and he really wasn't tolerating labor well, and he wanted to get him out as soon as possible. He would check me again in 20 minutes, and if I hadn't fully dialated he was going to do a section to get the baby out. 20 minutes later, I was still the same so he told me "We're going to prep you for the OR."

I was terrified. Things really started to move quickly then. They gave Dale scrubs to change into and Natalie stayed with me until the took me to the OR. The nurse shaved me a little bit, and put a new bag on my IV. Once I was getting wheeled to the OR I had tears running down my face and I was shaking really bad again. They moved me to the bed and strapped my legs down. The anesthesiologist put 3 doses of a stronger drug into my epidural, and then did a bunch of little tests to make sure I was numb enough. I got two little things on my chest and side to monitor my blood pressure, heart rate, breathing, etc... I don't remember when, but Dale was there at some point. He was holding my hand and I was trying not to cry or shake too bad. They put up the sheet and got started shortly before 9pm. The whole time they were working I was terrified and then the doctor said "Dad, you can stand up and look now if you want."

Dale stood up and looked over the curtain, and then he leaned down towards me, his eyes all shining and he said "It's a boy." I started to cry. Soon I was thinking it was too quiet and I said "Why isn't he crying?" Dale said it was ok, but there was still nothing. Two days later, Dale told me when he came out he was not breathing, blue, and totally limp. They had to resucitate him, which is why it took longer for him to cry. Then the sweetest sound I've ever heard, he started screaming. He was loud too! I had my head turned trying to see if I could see anything. The whole time I have tears running down my face. Then one of the nurses was walking towards me and said "Someone wants to meet you." She told me to bring my arms up and she put him on my chest. He had so much hair, and he was just gorgeous... perfect in every way. Much too soon, they had to take him to the NICU, and Dale followed while I got stitched up. That was kind of scary, because the doctor said I was bleeding below my incision and couldn't get it to stop for a bit.

Once I was in recovery, the nurses cleaned my up a bit and then brought my little boy to me. They tried to get him to nurse, but he did pretty poorly. Dale came in shortly after, and then my family. There were a lot of people, but I had told the nurse to tell them I only wanted immediate family to be able to come in. So my mom, dad, sister, and Dale's brother all came in to see us.

It was definately not the experience I was expecting, and in the end totally frightening, but I have my little guy now and it was so worth it. He is doing really well breastfeeding now, and he is just a perfect little baby. He's so calm and such a treat. He is gorgeous and I am so totally in love with him
RIP Grammie (06/24/35 - 07/25/06) and Grampie (08/18/26 - 07/26/06). I love you both and I miss you so much...
Reply With Quote
October 16th, 2006, 11:31 AM
MrsCalhoun's Avatar Ryan Lover
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal Quebec
Posts: 18,612
congrats sweetie!!! he is such a lil cutie!!!

Reply With Quote
October 17th, 2006, 01:37 PM
LadyTkachenko's Avatar *~Hoping For A XMAS BFP~*
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 13,620
I am sorry you had such a hard labor Cassie! Congratulations on little Jackson though! He is perfect!
Michele 34 wife to Vladimir 33

Proud Mommy to Malachi, Trinity, Anastasiya, Nathan and Kateryna

Hoping for a Christmas BFP!

Reply With Quote
October 17th, 2006, 08:28 PM
imcloudnine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Idaho
Posts: 3,542
Wow- what a great birth story!!! I mean, I know it didn't end up the way you wanted, but it was so emotional to read, I was in tears through part of it. The best part of it though is that you have such a beautiful baby now- he's just perfect. I'm sorry that your labor was so difficult and that Jackson had to go to the NICU, but I'm so glad that everything turned out ok.

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0