Log In Sign Up

Ethan Robert

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To C/S Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2008, 08:37 AM
daciasmom24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 2,651
Well, as some of you know I HAD to have a c/s. Funny thing is I was kinda prepared my whole labor for one and I never understood why. Call it "women's intuition." Here's the full story though.

We went in Thursday after they called us and told us they had a bed avaliable around 7:30AM. We had called at 5, but they didn't end up getting us in until almost 2 hrs after we had planned on being there, but oh well. We ended up getting the biggest room in the maternity ward! When my Dr. showed up he said I was "a darn lucky girl" b/c when he called the night before they said they weren't going to be able to get me in and so he called the other hospital that he delivers out b/c he knows about me and dh's situation. (About him being here from Iraq for the birth of his son.) They had NO beds there either! But when I called the next day, they somehow fit us in and we got the biggest room. I prayed to God about this though so I knew we would get a room.

After I was set up in the room, the Dr. came straight in and broke my water! (Even before the pitocin was started!) I was already dilated to a 3. Then I dilated to 4-6 pretty quickly in the next few hours. BUT his heartrate was dipping dangerously low during contractions. The nurse was pretty sure it was something to do with his cord. She said several times she thought his cord was too short. Then when she was checking me she said she thought his head was sunny side up, which she said wouldn't be too much a problem b/c my Dr. was really good at turning babies.

The Dr. came to check the situation out around 2:15 PM. The nurse had stopped the pitocin to give him a break from labor and so when my Dr. checked me I was the same 6-7 cm and without having a contraction I was only about 50/75% effaced, with a contraction I was about 80-90% effaced. Same dilation. He was checking the monitor while I have having contractions though and saw his heartrate. It actually got down to the 50s at one point!! So then he said what I pretty much had a hunch about my whole pregnancy..."Let's just go ahead and have a c/s."

The epi guy came in and numbed me from the chest down, then I was wheeled back the OR. Dh had his scrubs on while they set me up and was already starting to cut when they let him back. He had to stay on the same side as me so he could talk to me the whole time they were doing the operation. He really looked scared, but was very supportive. The epi guy talked us through the whole procedure and told us we were doing great. We loved him! The whole first half (cutting him out) took about 20 minutes or so. I never really felt ne thing except when they actually took him from my womb. And that kinda felt weird. They said he was a good sized baby, but I really wanted to know his weight.

After they handed him off to the nurses, I immediately started asking what his weight was to dh b/c he could have got up and gone over there. I practically had to force him to b/c he didn't want to leave my side while they were sewing me up. inlove.gif Finally he went and looked at the scale and came back to report he was 7'11, which made me thrilled b/c I hadn't gained much weight during pregnancy. We found out shortly after that, he measured 20 inches.

I believe the sewing me up part took a while longer b/c I was so anxious to hold him. I can't really remember what happened, but I think dh brought him up close to me to show me what he looked like. We were both crying.

I was wheeled back to my room with Ethan on my chest and immediately when we got in the room, I got to b/f!! He was such a good latcher!

Unfortunately, we have to stay here until Sunday b/c it's hospital policy that c/s have to stay 72 hrs, but dh is going to try to get an extended leave (he is on leave from Iraq) b/c I can't really do much in the first few weeks.


Thanks Natasha for my amazing siggy!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0