Log In Sign Up

Zane's homebirth story

Forum: Home Birth


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2009, 03:29 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 23,138
Zane's home birth
*warning may be graphic and TMI*

On January 20, 2009 4pm I had an acupuncturist appointment, since I was overdue and had a week to have this baby (based off what the OB said, which I would have been 42.5weeks) I went in for labor induction acupuncture and was done at 5pm. I walked to the office and back home, as we live like 3 blocks away and I knew that walking is very good to help induce labor. She recommended I come back for another session the next afternoon as acupuncture sometimes needs more than one treatment to fully kick in. So thankfully she had an opening right after my midwife appointment, so I booked it. Said my byes and Jacquelin the receptionist said well I'll see you tomorrow and I joked saying yep see you then but hopefully not. We laughed.

Around 6pm, just an hour later I started getting some contractions. They were irregular & not painful so I didn't time them or pay too much attention to them, I was waiting for Si to get home from work so we could figure out dinner. I wanted something spicy for dinner to help speed things along. I decided on Indian for some curry. Well Si wanted pizza and we couldn't decide which Indian restaurant we wanted to try this time...so we decided for Italian take out and to rent a movie. I noticed the Italian place at some hot and spicy wings, so I ordered some of them along with a calzone. While walking around blockbuster to pick a movie I kept experiencing a tingling, pressure like sensation up inside my cervix area that stopped me in my tracks. I told Si I can't walk anymore and stood there and waited till the feeling went away, then I went and sat in the car while Si got the movie and food. We came home, ate and watched the movie and more contractions started getting more rhythmic than earlier, so I began to time them. I think the wings helped kick things up a notch wink.gif The contractions were about 3 minutes long and coming about every 9 minutes. I told Si there's no way people can miss what a contraction feels like, there's not missing it. I thought in my head that I'm pretty sure things are happening and hoped they wouldn't stall like Sunday night after doing the Castor Oil. I decided to try to go to bed around midnight, but I couldn't sleep with these contractions. Si was out like a light, so I laid in bed timing contractions. I got up a few times and took a couple warm showers to relief the pressure and pain on my tummy and back; that helped.

At 4AM the contractions increased in intensity and were getting more closer together, they were about 5 minutes apart and they were about a minute long. I kept trying to wake up Si because I needed him to help me through the contractions and comfort me, unfortunately he wasn't waking up. So I gave up bugging him and let him sleep a bit more cause I knew he was going to need sleep, if he didn't get sleep he would have been a bit grouchy and I didn't want or need that during labor. I decided to try a hot shower on my back to see if that helped. It did for a bit. After taking two showers I decided it was time to try to wake up Si again, because I really was needing him. I didn't think I could get through many more contractions alone, I needed some support and comfort. I finally got him awake and I told him how intense and close the contractions were coming. So we continued to time them for over an hour to see if they were the 5-1-1 of contractions of when to call the midwife. During timing these more intense contractions, I took a few more hot showers to relief the pressure off my hips while Si put counter pressure on them as well. That helped and felt pretty good. Spent a bit of time hugging the yoga ball while Si put counter pressure on them. Being on all fours rocking and having counter pressure on my back/hips was pretty much the only way I could comfortable get through each contraction, I tried other positions but they only made it more intense and weren't helping, so stuck to all fours or hugging/rocking with the yoga ball.

At 5:30AM we decided it was time to call our midwife, Connie, to fill her in with what was happening. She was actually up at my friend's place as her water broke. Ironic! (Our baby's now share a b-day, too cool!) She asked if I needed them there yet, and I said not yet, so she told us to call when I needed/wanted them there. 3.5 hours later at 9AM my contractions picked up intensity even more and they coming every 2.5 minutes and were about 40 seconds long. So Si called in to his work saying he wouldn't be in. At 9:30AM he called the midwife back and said I needed/wanted them and told her the stats on my contractions. She told him the other midwife, Aleks, would be coming, which was fine with us.

So I spent the next hour hugging my yoga ball while Si would put counter pressure on my hips. I was having some bad back labor, due to his head position. Si kept telling me how great a job I was doing and that I can do it and that I look pretty hot in labor. That made me feel really good and I blushed. We prayed together that God would keep us safe and that the labor and delivery would go smoothly and the baby would be healthy. Praise God in answering our prayers!

Aleks arrived here around 10-10:30AM. She got her and chuckled at me...as I was in my robe, sucking on a Popsicle and hugging onto the yoga ball. She said I looked radiant, that made me feel good. Then the apprentice Beth arrived. They checked my vitals and to see how dilated I was. I was about 3-4cm dilated. She recommended for us to go for a walk. So we went for a walk. After a bit had to pee, so turned around. After my potty break, I thought we should go for another walk, so off we went, slowly that is. During my contractions on the walk I would just hang on Si's knee and he'd hold/squeeze my hips, we again didn't walk far just took it easy and slow to help things progress along.

After the walk, Aleks and Beth could tell that things progressed a bit more just through my reactions to the contractions, I was a bit more vocal and not as calm as previously....they recommended I sit on the yoga ball to try to help drop the baby even more. I gave it a try. I sat on the ball leaning against the bed frame. The contractions did feel more intense in this position but I knew this would help speed things up a bit. They reminded me to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth. Doing this totally helped me to relax and surrender to each contraction. After laboring on the yoga ball, they recommended for me to sit on the toilet through 5 contractions; as the toilet naturally makes your body open up, so I gave it a try, even though since about 9AM sitting/using the toilet was very uncomfortable and hard for me to do and not something I necessarily wanted to do, but I did it. I think I probably sat there through more than 5 contractions even, I was determined and ready to get things progressing even more. I was anxious to finally get to meet our baby boy, I knew we would be meeting him today and I couldn't wait!

After sitting through those contractions on the toilet, they checked me again. This was around 2- 2:30 or so....and I was 7cm with a bulging bag of waters! I couldn't believe it! So they set up the birthing pool for me. I couldn't wait to get in. After about 30 minutes it was up and ready for me; I got in and the warmth was so relaxing to me. After a bit I had Si get in as well. We had some music playing a bit of Jack Johnson, John Mayer, Phil Keaggy, the music helped to drown out my vocalizing (I was a lil afraid of the neighbors hearing me give birth. I was worried they'd call the cops or landlord and complain and then we'd get kicked out for having a baby here, thankfully that hasn't happened, yet tongue.gif) Si would give me some vitamin water when I needed it to keep me hydrated.

Through the contractions I would lean over the edge of the pool while Si would put counter pressure on my hips. Aleks told me to go with it and do whatever I felt my body needed...if I felt the urge to push then push, which I was having that feeling. So next contractions I pushed. At 3:54pm, during a contraction that which I pushed during my water broke; I felt it gush and could see it gushing out into the pool. Told them "I think my water just broke" they came to check the water and it did break and there was no meconium. Thankfully They kept telling me how great I'm doing, how glowing I am and reminding me to slow down my breathing so I wouldn't hyperventilate. whoops, wasn't trying to hyperventilate just getting a bit worked up with my breathing and forgetting to slow it down and relax a bit. Beth was so sweet to cool my face down with a cold, wet towel; that felt really refreshing and comforting. Thanks Beth!

At 5PM, I was checked and was fully dilated. I did have an anterior lip of my cervix so Beth helped to move it out of the way and showed me the spot that I needed I push towards, so I started pushing. I was leaning back into Si during the first bit of pushing, then later I moved into a squatting position, because I kept getting really bad Charlie horses (leg cramps) Beth was so sweet she massaged my calf for me. So then moved into a squat position with my back against the pool and Si sitting in front of me and we were holding each others arms. When I would push I would lean forward into Si and squeeze his hands. I pushed about 3-4 times during each contraction. I don't know exactly how many pushes it took to deliver his head but it took a bit longer than 2 hours. We could feel his head crowning and then I helped his head to be born, as I heard this can help with prevention of tearing. After his head was fully out, it only took me one push to deliver his body and he slipped right out. Si and I picked him up and put him to my chest and I held our baby boy. I couldn't believe he was finally here. I couldn't believe I actually did it. I was so proud of myself. I kept saying to myself go me, you did it! It was more than worth it. Zane is perfect in every way. Si did a great job as well, being a great coach, supporter and doing everything I needed or wanted, such a great hubby and daddy! I love him! Thanks babe for everything you did and do, especially for helping me bring our son into this world and for creating him with me~

Zane was crying and hacking a bit due to some fluid in his lung. So he was given a puff or two of oxygen to try an help clear it out. It helped some. Si and I looked him over, counted his fingers and toes, tried to figure out who he looked more like. We think he is a mix of both of us, has some of my features as well as Si. His head had a Caput (pretty misshapen) due to his head position during birth...He came out kind of towards the side than in the middle, so he has a bit of a small bruise on his head, but he is fine and such a trooper.

I was feeling some contractions, so they told me to push when I felt the contractions the placenta could be delivered. I tried once during a contraction to deliver the placenta and it wasn't fully detached off the uterine wall. They realized his cord was a bit short and we accidentally kept pulling on it trying to keep his head above the water. They checked it and was already done pulsating so we decided to go ahead and cut the cord. Si cut his cord at 8:10pm. The cord was complete and had 3 vessels. Si then he held him. Zane then started opening his eyes and kept them open. He was so curious, looking around and everything. After a while, Zane started rooting, so I tried to nurse him a bit. His Apgar scores were 8 (at 1 minute) and 10 (at 5 minutes)! Great job Zane~!

So waited for the next couple contractions and tried again to deliver the placenta and after one easy push the placenta was delivered at 8:17pm. The placenta was round, marginal, and velamentous. The cord had a velamentous insertion right at the edge of the placenta, thankfully Zane didn't pull on his cord hard in the womb or it could have easily detached from the placenta, which would have been very bad.

After a bit we all got out of the birthing pool and came into our bedroom to warm up and have family bonding time. I nursed him a bit as well. During this time, is when Si and I finally decided on his name: Zane Gibson Porter Jones. After a bit the midwives came in to check my vitals and the babies; we both were doing great!

Aleks made us cheesy scrambled eggs and some toast. It was yummy and so thoughtful of her to make us dinner and it was nce to eat dinner in bed as a family with our new son. Si fed me while I fed Zane, it was really sweet; daddy feeding mommy who's feeding the baby.

Aleks then took his weight, height, head circumference, etc. He weight 7 pounds 8 ounces, was 21 inches long and his head circumference was 14 inches. He has dry/peeling skin due to being post dates, recommended putting some olive oil on him. All is well with his movements and everything. His head was a bit misshapen still and his back was a bit spinning to the right, I believe it was, so she recommended next week we have him see the chiropractor (The chiropractor wanted to see the baby anyways, so we'll be doing that next week) and Aleks reminded to make his appointment with his pediatrician to check his vitals, etc. for when he is 2 days old.

Then it was my turn for a check, I was a bit nervous waiting to find out if I did tear and would need sutures....I did not tear thankfully! I was relieved! I did get two sidemark type little tears inside, I was given the choice if I wanted them to be sutured or not. They did not necessarily need to be stitched up, I decided against the suturing as I was afraid it would be more painful, especially with how it would had to be done. So I am thankful about that as well. I just have some swelling down below and discomfort with sitting and standing, that's about it. My muscles are sore in my biceps/triceps from holding myself up on the yoga ball/birthing pool; in my calf muscles from leg cramps during the 2.5 hours of pushing and in my back/ neck from all the different labor positions I was in. I was reminded to take sitz baths, use the peri bottle when/after using the restroom, freeze some pads to use as cold compresses, rest, and breastfeed often.

The midwives kept telling me a did a great job and how proud they were of me. That made me feel really good but made me feel a bit embarrassed, since I necessarily didn't feel beautiful since I just gave birth. But I was proud of myself for doing it; giving birth al naturale, just how I wanted. I still can't believe I did it. We got our water home birth that we prayed and long hoped for. It was a better than we imagined and dreamed it would be, it was amazing.

Then it was time for them to leave and us to say goodbye and be on our own. After we said our goodbyes, we all went to bed and slept as a family. We are so thankful and blessed to have such a wonderful, awesome and great team of midwives. We are so thankful to have found them and that everything worked out better than we could have imagined. Thank you Aleks and Beth for being there, for all you did and for your help in bringing Zane into this world.

Reply With Quote
January 25th, 2009, 06:33 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 16,734
Beautiful story mama! Our midwife made us the same thing to eat after we had Dane

Thank you for sharing your story, I loved reading it.
Marisa (29) married to J (35), mama to G (10), D (7), B (5) and K (1).
Little Miss joined our family Dec 4th, 2015 at 35 weeks.
Reply With Quote
January 25th, 2009, 11:58 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 23,138
Thank you Marissa! (that's too funny you had the same thing )

Reply With Quote
January 26th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 72,637
Gosh...I was riveted to my seat reading your story. How amazing and fantastic. Thank you so very much for posting this. I'm going to re-read it a few times and take your tips and pointers. Thank you again. You did a fantastic job.

Big hugs to you.

(sorry..I just popped in from the March 09 DDC )

Reply With Quote
January 26th, 2009, 07:25 AM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Keesler AFB, Mississippi
Posts: 6,419
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
oh i'm so so so so happy everything worked out perfectly!!!! it is an experience like no other! your baby boy is gorgeous!
Kristin, proud Air Force wife to Kevin(since 01.20.06)
Mommy to Kaylynn Grace(11.20.06), Jackson William(3.18.08),
Carsyn Olivia(9.5.09), and Noah Cauthen(10.27.11)

Survivor Mom - My Blog

Reply With Quote
January 26th, 2009, 07:38 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,959
Congrats mama! What an amazing birth story, and your baby boy is gorgeous.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

Reply With Quote
January 27th, 2009, 07:09 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 6,085

Your birth story is beautiful. I hope my own little guy's birth goes as smoothly and wonderfully as yours did. I'm so happy for you that you got to have the ideal birth experience you had been hoping for.

Reply With Quote
January 27th, 2009, 10:52 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 23,138
Thank you so much everyone!

Reply With Quote
January 28th, 2009, 05:43 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,522
Congrats! Wonderful birth story. So happy you got a dream birth at home.
Reply With Quote
January 28th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missoula, Mt
Posts: 17,184
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
what a beautiful story!!!
Jenny - Wife to James - Mommy to Amara(8), Kayori (6),
and Rinoa (1)
missing our Angels 2001, 2005, and 2010

Reply With Quote
February 14th, 2009, 04:58 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort McMurray, AB, Canada
Posts: 13,240
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
An awesome homebirth!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0