Log In Sign Up

Arabella's Birth Story & Pictures

Forum: Home Birth


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2010, 09:00 AM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 24,820
Sorry I haven't been updating here. I keep reminding myself and then forgetting. So, I sat down specifically to do this

I am still a little sad and upset that I didn't get "my homebirth". She was born weighing 6lbs 3oz which isn't exactly IUGR to me. So, who knows if the ultrasounds got things wrong or if she would have started going downhill at some point. I feel kind of gypped (I actually had to look up how to spell that ). I know all that matters in the end is this healthy, beautiful, baby girl, but why can't my body do something right once in a while? Why couldn't I just go into labor at home?

Anyway, I copied my birth story to post on here and some pictures. I am completely in love with her...

After finding out that our baby was on the small side, possibly having IUGR, our midwife had us meet with her two backup doctors. Both doctors suggested an induction the 39th week. We tried every kind of natural induction we could think of at home (stripping membranes, EPO, sex, nipple stimulation, Nature’s Sunshine 5W, essential labor oils, acupressure, etc), but none of it worked. I didn’t like one of the doctors; he was funny, but not midwife friendly at all. The other doctor was more open to anything; he even had been nominated for awards by midwives. So, we went with him.

I was admitted at 7am on Wednesday January 6th. Upon walking into labor and delivery with my husband and midwife, we were greeted by a bunch of nurses. One of them was someone my midwife knew... another midwife!! She asked the head nurse if she could be our nurse and she said sure. There was also an experienced ICU nurse who was orienteering to L&D and she was able to work with us too. I overheard the head nurse saying to the midwife who worked there that this was a good case for her to see because usually they didn’t get many natural deliveries. This would show her you don’t always have to intervene. It still blows my mind that so many people opt for all sorts of interventions.

Into room #5 we went, had to get into my lovely hospital gown, pee in the nice cup and lay in the extremely uncomfortable hospital bed. This was by far the smallest L&D room I had ever been in. It wasn’t very nice either. Pretty blah. We got started with all the questions and the prepping. After about 2 hours, they hung the antibiotics up and started the Pitocin. They started it slowly... going up by 1s. I was at 3cm and 50% effaced. We had to wait 4 hours for the antibiotic to be in my system. If I delivered before that, we’d be stuck in the hospital a longer time. At this point, I was still hoping to go home that day.

Around 12:30pm, the doctor came in and broke my water. My cervix was only about 3.5cm, but soft and stretchy. So, breaking the water was the next step. Always one I’m scared of because there’s no turning back. The contractions immediately felt different, harder and more painful. The Pit was turned up more and more and more until it hit 24, the max. And the contractions were hard, but not coming close enough. I was in the bathroom and Michael had a little chat with our “nurse midwife”. When I came back out, she asked if she could check me. So, I said sure. This was about 3pm. I got in the bed and she checked. I believe she said I was a very stretchy 5-6cm. She asked if she could keep her hand there for a contraction. Sure. So, during the contraction came and she “played around” with my cervix and when she was done she said I was 7cm. LOL! It was uncomfortable, but not real painful.

My contractions started changing at that point. Much harder and much more pressure. She said she’d like to do it one more time and that was fine with me. The quicker, the better. So, she went in again and just held my cervix for a contraction. By the time she was done, I was 8 and feeling it good. My mom walked in at that point. They called the doctor and let him know I was at 8cm. I guess I should have mentioned that once I hit 7, birth usually happens within 5 contractions and/or a few minutes.

So, yeah, you guessed it... I had a few contractions and went “OMIGOSH, she’s coming!” I could just feel the intense pressure coming, knowing there was no stopping it and no doctor there. LOL! Of course, I wasn’t worried, there were 2 very experienced midwives right there. The nurses started yelling “head on perineum”! LOL! And a bunch of other nurses rushed in. I asked if I could push and my “nurse midwife” said I could do whatever I wanted. So, I bore down and her head came on out. I felt a couple “pops”. And they hurt! As soon as her shoulders were out, they told me to reach down and get her. So, I did. I sat up a bit, grabbed her and brought her up to my chest. She let out a cry not too long after. She was so little and so perfect. She had lots of brown hair, long fingers and was just adorable.

The next few minutes were like a whirlwind. I was trying to hold the baby and bond with her. Some nurse was trying to get some cord blood. The doctor came in and wasn’t looking too happy. He didn’t seem mad either, so who knows exactly what he was feeling. I don’t know if nurses get in trouble for not calling fast enough. She did say to him, “I left something for you to do” – meaning delivering the placenta.

When the placenta came out, I asked if I could see it. He said sure when he was done. I guess there was something “down there” bothering him, so I finally asked what was going on and was told that I had a little nick that wouldn’t stop bleeding and that it wasn’t in the normal area (like where you’d get an episiotomy). Must have been those pops I felt. They tried to stop the bleeding for a few minutes, and then he said he’d have to stitch it up. YUCK! I hate being stitched up in that area. He did do it quickly, I’ll give him that, but it still hurt.

I know at some point they insisted on taking the baby. I never did find out why. Michael said he thought it had something to do with the cord not being clamped right or something like that. They weighed her and measured her at that point too – 6lbs 3oz and 18 ½”. Then they brought her back to me and put her on my chest – skin to skin. She started making sounds with her mouth, so I put her to my breast and she latched right on. No problems. She immediately started nursing. This was the first time any of my babies latched so quickly and easily.

During this crazy time, someone noticed the placenta wasn’t around anymore and my mom said I had wanted to see it. The doctor got mad! He asked where it was and someone said “we threw it away” and the doctor ordered them to get it out of the garbage because I had asked to see it. And they did. LOL! We got to see it and take pictures. Weird to some, but it’s so neat, seeing your baby’s home for the last 9 months.

We bonded there for a while and at some point we were told they had to take her down to the nursery and do a bunch of things. They said I could go, but at that point, I wanted to get cleaned up and get some pain meds and so on. So, Michael went with them. If I had known it was going to be about 2 more hours before I’d see her again, I would have gone.

I got cleaned up, peed and for that accomplishment, they took my IV out. I was wheeled up to my room (307). Unfortunately, we were told no children under 14 were allowed at the hospital during flu season. I wish we had been told that before we checked in. It really made me mad. My doctor told me that I could leave from L&D, however the baby’s doctor had to release her too. We chose one based on my doctor’s opinion and found out he was on vacation. So, his backup said the baby had to stay for 36 hours because of my positive GBS status. So stupid. They said the hospital policy was 48 hours, so her policy was better.

The hospital stay was pretty pathetic. I hardly slept at all. I kept getting woken up by people needing something. And if that wasn’t enough, all I wanted to do was cuddle with the baby and I usually sleep with them... well that didn’t go over very well. One of the CNAs had a fit saying I wasn’t allowed to do that and that if nursery caught me, they’d take the baby back there. I looked at her and I said “Tough”. This is my 5th baby and I’ve managed never to roll on top of one or drop one while co-sleeping. Then I told her I’d be happy to check out AMA if they were going to push me. She backed off, but I was paranoid from then on. Since apparently checking out AMA could cost me a visit from CPS and/or a denial to pay from our insurance.

We tried to get released at 36 hours which would have been 3:25am Friday, but the hospital and doctor fought us. Why say you can go home at 36 hours if you really can’t? So, on Friday January 8th, at 7am, they started getting us ready to go. The funny thing it didn’t seem like GBS keeping us there, it was some bili test for jaundice and the nurse told us it was at 8 and was low risk on her chart. When the doctor came to talk to us, she said it was a little high and she should be watched. Hmmmm... trying to justify keeping us there for that long?

Even though we were kept there for much longer than I had wanted and our kids couldn’t visit, I’m glad we went with that doctor and that hospital. We were able to have 2 midwives and a really nice nurse. The labor wasn’t too long and the delivery fairly easy.

The doctor ordered another ultrasound for the baby’s kidneys because the ultrasound I had done while pregnant showed some sort of dilation. She does have one kidney that is still dilated or something. They sent us home with antibiotics just in case its reflux, but I’m not sure about giving it to her before we know. We’re supposed to see the doctor Monday and find out what the next step is. Another ultrasound or a VCUG.

So, I didn’t get my home birth. Seeing her size, I’m not sure I did the right thing (being induced). She was 6lbs 3oz. I read online that a baby has to be under 5lbs 13oz at birth to be considered IUGR. The “nurse midwife” told us that she had the physical characteristics of IUGR so that we made the right decision. I don’t know if she was just saying that to ease our minds... but she said she had a small head compared to her body and her limbs were smaller too. So, I guess her proportions are off. Her trunk is normal size, or something like that. I’ll have to research that a little.

Even though I didn’t get my home birth, things went well enough that I’m happy. No crazy doctor or nurses breathing down my neck. No rolling of eyes that it was supposed to be a home birth. No epidural. No c-section.

And the end product...

A beautiful, sweet, baby girl... Arabella Korinne.


Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter

Last edited by WishingStar; January 16th, 2010 at 09:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
January 16th, 2010, 10:21 AM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,090
Congratulations ! She's adorable.

Sorry that you had to deal with the stupid hospital stuff, but at least you were able to have (what seems like) a decent birth experience considering the circumstances.

Reply With Quote
January 16th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,484
their on crack, shes PERFECT!!! Im sorry it wasnt at home - but you had a group of nurses some what fighting for you - and Im glad they respected your decisions! You lucked out! Im glad shes perfect and I bet your other kiddo's are in love with their baby sister Congratulations
Ryker Benjamin is coming on Oct 10th, 2014!
Reply With Quote
January 16th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1
Thanks for sharing! I'm sorry you didn't get your homebirth - but it sounds like you got a pretty great hospital one - thanks for sharing that - it's reassuring for someone who wants a homebirth - but you never know right?
She is just beautiful! Congratulations!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
Reply With Quote
January 16th, 2010, 06:04 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pipestone, Minnesota
Posts: 6,500
Originally Posted by ~*Bethy*~ View Post
their on crack, shes PERFECT!!! Im sorry it wasnt at home - but you had a group of nurses some what fighting for you - and Im glad they respected your decisions! You lucked out! Im glad shes perfect and I bet your other kiddo's are in love with their baby sister Congratulations
DITTO! That baby is one of most beautiful I have seen in a really long time, good job momma!

Reply With Quote
January 17th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Adam&Kaydence'sMommy's Avatar formerly wiseg2
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Big Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,191
She's a cute! Sorry you didn't get your home birth
Gina(20) wife to Kevin(32) married on 5/30/08 and proud parents to Adam (9/27/08) and Kaydence (3/23/10)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0