Log In Sign Up

The Dramatic Entrance of Kaydence Jo Tiffani Raine Bryant - 3/23/10

Forum: Home Birth


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2010, 08:46 AM
Adam&Kaydence'sMommy's Avatar formerly wiseg2
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Big Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,191
So I'm finally posting my birth story. I'm not sure if I should post this in one of the birth story sections since I ended up transferring to a hospital? Anyways this ended up being very long there was a lot that happened and I didn't want to forget anything. I'll post pics later after my camera baterries get recharged. Here it is:


This has taken a bit to write since Iíve been really busy with a newborn. She is great. This is not the birth that I had planned but I wouldnít change anything about it and Iím surprising happy with the way things turned out. Truthfully, this story began over 2 years ago and it isnít over yet (meaning we do want more kidsÖÖ eventually). So I should give you a bit of a back story.

Back in fall/winter of 2007 Kevin, my husband, and I decided we wanted to have a baby. It took us 3 months to conceive our son Adam Scott and we were ecstatic when we found out. But things didnít turn out so great; at least not on my end.

I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia at 34 weeks, which if you donít know is high blood pressure combined with protein being spilled in the urine during pregnancy. It can get pretty serious. At 38 weeks Adam was showing sign of distress so I was admitted to the birthing center to be induced. By the time I got there he had gotten worse so the on-call OB decided a c-section was the best option.

As a result of the unplanned c-section I was unable to bond with my son. It was over an hour before I got to hold him and because of the narcotics I was given I could only remember bits and pieces of the first day of his life. Physically, the recovery was pretty easy after the first few days but emotionally I never recovered. Iíve had two different therapists and have been on two different antidepressants. Iím still taking the Wellbutrin and I have no idea when I will be able to stop taking it. To this day I still donít have much a relationship with my son and nothing I try seems to help.

We found out I was pregnant again when Adam was 9 months old. I was happy but scared things would turn out the same way especially when I had a dream of having another c-section. As a result, I spent most of my pregnancy trying to prevent another c-section. My doctor began pushing for a repeat c-section when my blood pressure started to shoot up again around 20 weeks. So I planned an unassisted home birth. I spent lots of time researching and was determined to take control of my birthing experience so things would go differently.

At just short of 37 weeks my doctorís office found out I was planning a home birth from a nurse at the health department and tried to discontinue my prenatal care. But my insurance company stepped in and told them I had to have 30 dayís notice so I could find another doctor. I was due in less than a month so like it or not they had to keep seeing me. But that doesnít mean they made things easy for me.

At 39 weeks my amniotic fluid levels were discovered to be low. The doctors pushed again for another c-section but I told them no as long as the baby is okay.

Thursday, March 18, 2010:

It was 1 day before my due date when I went in for my weekly prenatal check-up. Iíd been feeling different all week. Iíd had a lot of menstrual-like cramping and loose stools. Anyways, I was scheduled to have a cervical check during this appointment. While my doctor was in there she decided to strip my membranes without asking. (This is where your membranes are separated from your cervix.)

After the doctorís appointment I went back over to the birthing center for an AFI (amniotic fluid index). While I was waiting I began to have some light contractions. They werenít painful but I could tell they were there. They were coming about 10-20 minutes apart and I knew this was it.

The amniotic fluid was lower than before and I went home to get a nap since I thought true labor would start soon. I got home around 2 or 3 p.m. and woke up around 8 that night to get something to eat. The contractions were still there and were a bit stronger. Still not painful though. I went back to bed since I was still tired.

Friday, March 19th, 2010: (My Due Date)

I woke up around 1:30 a.m. I sat through a few painful contractions before I woke Kevin up to tell him I was in labor. They were still very irregular coming at all different intervals. We sat up and timed contractions for a while before Kevin went back to bed. I was up for almost 24 hours before I finally went to bed that night just before midnight. I was feeling pretty discouraged.

Saturday, March 20th, 2010:

I slept through most of the day (in between contractions) since Iíd been up so long the day before. That evening I decided to go into the hospital since labor didnít seem to be progressing. They checked my cervix and I was still at 1 cm (the same as at my appointment on Thursday) but my cervix was almost completely thinned out. They wanted to keep me there because of the low fluid levels but I left since the baby was fine on the monitor. Plus I couldnít imagine staying in the hospital for however long my labor might be. They said I was in early labor and active labor could kick in at any time.

Sunday, March 21st, 2010:

More of the sameÖ.. My contractions were still irregular and painful enough to keep waking me up. I was feeling very discouraged. The contractions seemed to get more painful all the time. I was starting to feel like I was going to be pregnant and in labor forever.

Monday, March 22nd, 2010:

I woke up at around 8:30 p.m. In the back of my mind I knew something was different because I was starting to feel the contractions in my back a little bit. Me and Kevin sat down to watch a movie and ate some pizza. The contractions were pretty intense. I was exhausted and I decided we needed to go to the hospital again because I was sick of the pain.

Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010:

We got to the hospital around 12:30 a.m. I got into the hospital gown and sat on the monitors for a bit. The nurse checked me and I was dilated to 5 cm. I was shocked and asked she was joking and she said she wasnít. Once again I felt determined to have the birth I wanted. I decided at that point to stick around the hospital because my blood pressure was slightly elevated. So I was on the monitors a bit longer before I was allowed to get into the tub. It felt wonderful. The warm water made the contractions about half as intense and it seemed to space them out a little.

I was in the tub about half an hour before the nurse came by to take me to my room. I was hooked back up to the monitors and the nurse checked my cervix again. I was dilated to 7 cm. At this point the monitors were showing dips in the babyís heart rate and while the nurse was doing the cervical check she also found out that the baby was still high and caught against something. The nurse wanted to have me lie on side and have an IV placed since the monitors showed dips in the babyís heart rate. I wanted to get on the birth ball to move the baby into a better position to get her out faster. After arguing with the nurse and her supervisor I ended up leaving.

Me and Kev drove back home (about 3 blocks away) to attempt our home birth. We left the hospital around 3 a.m.

At home I labored on the birthing ball while Kevin boiled some water to sterilize the string, scissors, and bulb syringe. I also walked around a bit and rocked my hips. Walking around was pretty uncomfortable so I laid down in the bed on my side. Then I got on my hands and knees to try to move the baby into a better position. I tried pushing even though I wasnít feeling the urge to and nothing seemed to be happening. The contractions were coming faster and faster; one on top of the other and all I knew was pain.

Around 7 a.m. I was sure something was wrong. I knew that I should be pushing by now but I felt like no progress was being made. I also knew that if the baby was in distress such a long labor with very intense contractions would not be good for her. So I told Kev we needed to go back to the hospital. He was a little rude to me but he agreed. He got something to eat and called the birthing center to let them know we were coming back. They werenít very happy but then I wouldnít have been either. I barely made it up the steps and into the car in between contractions.

We got back to the hospital around 7:30 a.m. I told Kevin that I wouldnít make it up the steps and into the birthing center. So he went inside to get some help. The doctor and 3 or 4 nurses ran out to the car with a wheel chair and got me inside and to a room. They wanted to get me into my gown in the room in front of about 10 people but I insisted I could do it myself. So one of the nurses helped me into my gown in the bathroom instead. I said I needed to go the bathroom and ended up having a contraction on the toilet. The same nurse rushed back in and brought me back to the bed.

Everything happened pretty quickly from here. The doctor checked me and said I was dilated to 9 cm but he could stretch me to 10 and he could feel the bag of waters bulging out. He broke my water and it was the weirdest feeling ever. He said it was almost pure meconium since the fluid levels were so low. Next they placed an internal monitor and an IV. The IV wasnít so bad. I only ended up with one blown vein this time around instead of 3 or 4.

Then the doctor said he was going to stretch me to 10 and have me push. I told them I didnít know what I was doing. The nurses tried to explain it to me. I tried to push but I just didnít get it. I never felt the urge to push since I wasnít fully dilated.

This went on for a few contractions before they said theyíd have to do a c-section. They tried to get me to sign the papers for it but I wouldnít do it. I was scared and no one would give me a moment or tell me what was going on. They asked Kevin if he would sign the papers and he did. I was really upset about this. I almost asked to be put under general anesthesia since they were talking about doing it anyways just so he couldnít be in the room.

At some point the anesthesiologist came in and talked to me someone else drew blood and the nurses placed the catheter. Then we were on our way to the OR.

It took them 2 tries to place the spinal and then Kevin came in and the surgery was started. I could feel them tugging and pulling when Kaydence came into the world at 8:26 a.m. on March 23, 2010. I couldnít see what was going on around the sheet but I was told later that she was intubated to make sure she hadnít aspirated any of the meconium. Her apgar scores were 3 and 9. Apparently she was blue, limp, and not breathing and they had to give her oxygen for her to come around. But after that she was fine and there havenít been any long term problems.

A few minutes later she was brought over to me and Kevin and she was so beautiful. I got to see her and touch her face before she and Kevin left while I was getting stitched up. Then I was wheeled back to the recovery room where I got to hold her.


And thatís pretty much it. The first couple days of recovery were a little more painful than my previous c-section, probably because I went through labor. But overall Iím happy with how things went. I choose to breastfeed Kaydence and by the time she was 4 or 5 days old she was doing great with it. And the bond between the two of us is definitely there.

I think the main differences between the c-section and the last one is that this time around I knew what to expect going into the surgery and I knew that Iíd done everything possible to have a vaginal delivery. Iím very proud of myself to have made it through 4 days of labor and all the way up to 9 cm without any medication. And I know that my body is capable of going through labor.

But my body might not be capable of giving birth vaginally. I was told Kaydence had gotten stuck against some sort of band in my uterus. That her head and one shoulder had gotten through but the other shoulder had gotten stuck. I was also told that this could have been caused by my previous c-section, from it healing weird. The doctor told me I would probably need a c-section if I was to have any other kids and he would always recommend c-sections from now on.

So if we were to have other kids, Iíd like to find a midwife or at least an OB thatís supportive of a VBA2C and knows the situation. Iíd always choose to attempt labor first but if I ended up with another c-section I guess it wouldnít be so bad.

Iím glad that Kaydence got to choose her own birthday and that I was able to experience labor and stand up for myself. It wasnít the birth experience I originally wanted but I wouldnít change a thing about it. It was a wild ride and Kaydence was definitely worth it.
Gina(20) wife to Kevin(32) married on 5/30/08 and proud parents to Adam (9/27/08) and Kaydence (3/23/10)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
Reply With Quote
April 2nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 57,412
I'm so glad that you were able to experience so much of natural childbirth, you really faught hard for what you wanted, and although you may have not ended up with a homebirth and a NCB, you certainly came out more educated and with a beautiful baby girl. Lots of love you!!!!!!!! Congrats on the birth of your little girl, you are one strong mama!!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
Reply With Quote
April 2nd, 2010, 12:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1
Congratulations! I'm sorry you didn't get exatly the birth you wanted - but ditto - you did one heck of a NCB and then some!
I'm glad you are both well - and that you are doing well emotionally too. You are one tough momma! big big big

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
Reply With Quote
April 2nd, 2010, 06:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 19,074
Congrats on your daughter! You did a great job even if you didn't have the birth you wanted.

Reply With Quote
April 3rd, 2010, 07:57 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
Congratulations on your daughter!
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
April 7th, 2010, 08:39 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Galveston, TX
Posts: 1,844
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Oh what a wonderfully strong, empowered, diligent, and instinctual birther you are!!! You have every right to have sadness, but equally every right to be proud! Beautiful babe and beautiful job mama!

Bellies & Babies Blogger
Reply With Quote
April 7th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Adam&Kaydence'sMommy's Avatar formerly wiseg2
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Big Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,191
Gina(20) wife to Kevin(32) married on 5/30/08 and proud parents to Adam (9/27/08) and Kaydence (3/23/10)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
Reply With Quote
April 7th, 2010, 05:25 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 22,043
wow, what determination! congrats on your little girl!

homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama


Reply With Quote
April 7th, 2010, 09:00 PM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: EARTH
Posts: 27,742
What a ride! I'm glad you fought so hard to keep control of YOUR birthing! I'm glad you & your precious daughter are safe & happy! Congrats!
Mommy. Vegan & Straight Edge. Doula & Placenta Encapsulator. Animal Rights Activist.

Reply With Quote
April 8th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 44
What a fantastic story! Congrats!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0