Log In Sign Up

Ultrasound Question

Forum: Home Birth


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,224
I am dealing with a subchorionic hematoma. This is the third pregnancy that I've had this, one live birth, one loss at 12 weeks. (just this past December) Being that I homebirth and have a wonderful lay midwife, ultrasound and such are not part of my normal pregnancy routine. We only do them if need be.

I had some spotting at 6 weeks and because of our previous loss, midwife ordered me an ultrasound that showed a healthy baby and the SCH. I spotted a bit and had a few big red gushes just before 8 weeks - another ultrasound at 8 weeks still showed our healthy baby and the stupid SCH - which had not gotten bigger or smaller.

I put myself on modified bedrest and pelvic rest. The bleeding completely stopped. So after a week of no bleeding at 9 weeks, I went back to normal activity - everything has been okay, so after two weeks of no bleeding at 10 weeks, we resumed marital intimacy. (YAY!!) Still no bleeding Praise God.

So I know these things can quickly resorb with or without bleeding, or they can get bigger with or without bleeding. No rhyme or reason. I am trying to decide if we should have another ultrasound or not. I am not convinced of their safety, especially in early pregnancy and I've already had two. And on top of that I purchased a doppler, which has been a great comfort, but I have concerns over their safety also.

Midwife is leaving it up to me, which I appreciate. Dh leans toward having another around 12 weeks. I just don't know. If I'm not bleeding, and carrying on like my normal active self and everything seems fine - why bother?

What would you fellow homebirthing mamas do? Thanks!
~Lisa, homebirthing, homeschooling , homesteading mama and student midwife. Married to my beloved for 20 years, raising a big brood of children on a little farm in Southern Michigan.

Mama to:
Nick, 19
Abby, 17
Gabe, 15
Isaac, 13
Mary-Kate, 12
Sam, 11
Henry, 10
Molly, 8
Mark, 7
Greta, 5
Cecilia, 4
Josephine, 2
Evie, born 12.31.13
Baby due in July!
Reply With Quote
April 27th, 2010, 03:12 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 14,600
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Me personally, I wouldn't have an ultrasound unless there was some sign that one is indicated... like you said, if everything is okay why bother? OTOH, if you would have a difficult time with worrying, then the peace of mind might be enough to warrant an ultrasound despite the potential risks.

BTW, I don't know if you remember me, but we were in the same DDC for September 07. Congratulations on another baby...! I love the avatar.
~Jennifer, wife of one, mother of many

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

Reply With Quote
April 27th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 57,412
I agree with Jennifer. Unless you felt there was a need to have one, your symptoms continued or whatnot, then I'd probably not have one... unless of course it would provide you or your DH with a piece of mind. I personally think that worrying about it can be just as hard on you physically and mentally. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
Reply With Quote
April 27th, 2010, 08:17 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 16,734
I agree with Jennifer and Christine. I would have it if you feel that one is needed. Otherwise, I'd pass. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide to do.
Marisa (29) married to J (35), mama to G (10), D (7), B (5) and K (1).
Little Miss joined our family Dec 4th, 2015 at 35 weeks.
Reply With Quote
April 27th, 2010, 09:38 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 22,043
I would be inclined to have one once you clear the first trimester, to see if it has resolved completely, or is just dormant.

But I am a person that is comfortable with the safety of ultrasounds.

homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama


Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0