Log In Sign Up

Help me talk myself out of it - Induction

Forum: Home Birth


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gloversville, NY
Posts: 2,995
I am 40w5d and going COMPLETELY INSANE! I have an induction scheduled for Monday - 41w- (which is convenient cause that is DHs ONLY day off from work) but I REALLY want this to be a unassisted, home, lotus, water birth, as this is our 6th and LAST child. I'm torn. I don't know how much more of this pregnancy I can take, and baby is HUGE (my guess is 11-12 lbs, seriously....I had a 10lb baby and this one is BIGGER). I want some emotional support from other HB'ers. DH will agree with whatever I want, but I KNOW he'd rather me be in the hospital. We have been planning a UC since before I was preggo, had the pool set up and ready to go for the last week, and I wake up this morning to see that DH has started to take it down, I started crying. Being such a large baby, I'm afraid of a C-Section if I go to the hospital. I had not one doubt in my mind about UCing, until last week. And while DH is "supporting my decisions" he really isn't. He KNOWS I want to UC and he isn't going "Honey, do you REALLY want to be induced?" I am just completely torn and in tears over this. Any help/advice/support GREATLY appreciated.
Reply With Quote
July 17th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boise!
Posts: 16,196
Do you check your own cervix? Are you ok with any natural induction methods? What gestation were your others born at? Are you comfortable stripping your own membranes or stretching your cervix? Castor oil? Nipple stimulation? If you haven't tried this stuff and you're comfortable with it, try it. I've done all but CO, but my bff has done CO 3 times (her first was a hospital birth like my first, our #2 and #3 were both UC). I think some people get on the whole "UC has to be completely intervention free" bandwagon, but I feel like if it's YOU making the decisions and you're educated about it, who cares. To ME, all those beat hospital induction any day.
"Unborn children should be welcomed in life and protected in law." George W. Bush

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
Reply With Quote
July 17th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gloversville, NY
Posts: 2,995
I am fine with most of those options. Unfortunately, I can not reach my cervix yet, I am VERY posterior, and I can't get to it. The one option I will not do is Castor oil, and that is only because I have had SO MUCH diarreah lately, I'm worried that it would just make me more miserable. I in no way think that UC has to be intervention free, and I'd LOVE to stretch my cervix and strip my membranes, IF I could reach it.....
Reply With Quote
July 17th, 2010, 10:52 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 22,043
what about a compromise? Can you find a local midwife that would see you, possibly help with induction techniques and assist in delivery, especially if you are seriously expecting a baby that big...? I would try pretty much anything over a hospital induction.....maybe reschedule it for 42 weeks, and if you don't go by then, consider it.....

homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama


Reply With Quote
July 17th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gloversville, NY
Posts: 2,995
No midwife will see me this late in pregnancy, that is the issue I have there And at 42 weeks we are going to NY to visit family, lol. I suppose that could EASILY be rescheduled, and that is what I was considering as well. I will talk to DH about that.
Reply With Quote
July 17th, 2010, 12:18 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,250
I don't have any additional suggestions on how to move things along naturally but for me there's no way I would voluntarily go through a medical induction again. I allowed it with my first after my OB decided ROM had gone on too long and it was the longest and most painful experience, I think it may have been easier to just have an 11 lb baby naturally. Seriously though if your heart is set on UC and you're reacting this strongly to a possible change of plans then I would stay the course until at least 42 weeks. I know for me if I walked away from my HB before that point I would always look back and wish I had done things differently.

Reply With Quote
July 17th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 57,412
Good luck hun!! I think that the nipple stimulation and perhaps DTD might be work as well. I personally would consider castor oil before a hospital induction. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
Reply With Quote
July 17th, 2010, 07:54 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 5,906
Originally Posted by FreetailTherapy View Post
The one option I will not do is Castor oil, and that is only because I have had SO MUCH diarreah lately, I'm worried that it would just make me more miserable.
I don't blame you for being hesitant on that one! I know it can be pretty rough!...But- A medical induction wont be a walk in the park either, so I'd probably give it a shot before going to the hospital (just my opinion)

I also wanted to point out that diarrhea is VERY common the last few days of pregnancy! (It's your body's way of cleaning out and gearing up for birth!) So you might be closer than you think!

I second the other ladies recommendation of rescheduling it for 42 weeks. If nothing else, and you do end up going in for it- I think it will help prevent regrets.

I hope you get the birth YOU want! ((Hugs))

Reply With Quote
July 19th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1
How are you doing? I agree with the 42 weeks as well! - ya know in france they don't worry about you till 43 weeks! So 41 is really pushing it!
How abut trying acupuncture? I LOVE it. I had it the day before I went into labour and I feel like it helped me.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0