Log In Sign Up

Going over 42 weeks?

Forum: Home Birth


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SW FL
Posts: 8,785
I was wondering what you ladies thought about going over 42 weeks. I know the EDD is just estimated. I feel like it is ok to go over. I was induced at 42 weeks with DD( then emergency c/s after 3 days). Today I am 41 weeks and I might be facing the same situation. Only this time, I am not comfortable with a repeat c/s or being induced. What would you do? I would really love a homebirth and I might have a UAHB at the last minute if I think it feels right. I am just nervous about my c/s incision with it only being 15 months since my c/s and the closests hospital about 30 mins away. I don't want to be guilted into a repeat c/s. I think this is the best board to get opinions from because alot of you do what is different than the "norm" and the rest of the boards would freak out if I even considered going over 42 weeks. Anyone BTDT? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Just wanted to add also, my mom and DH are both certified first responders and have been trained to deliver babies if needed and of course, if something happened.
Leann <3 Hector
My trio: Alyssa 7, Tristan 4.75, Gavin 1.5

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

Reply With Quote
October 10th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,232
I'm in that situation as of tomorrow (well, without the previous c-section). Honestly, I'm still not sure what we are going to do. I am meeting with my midwife in a few minutes and we'll be talking about my options. I believe she is going to refer me for an ultrasound to check on the placenta function, etc and then we'll make a decision from there. I really don't want an induction and I'm not feeling that uncomfortable so waiting isn't so hard, I just want to make sure I do what is safe for the baby. Since both your Mom and DH are emergency trained I think I'd hold out until at least 42 weeks if you can.
Alison - Mom to: Emmeline (7/14), Augustus (2) Maximus (4) Eleanor (5) Reid (6) Evelyn (8) Lucas (13) Christopher (14)

Reply With Quote
October 10th, 2007, 12:06 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,576
If I were confident with my due date (I'd been charting, etc or know date of conception, etc) and the baby was doing ok, I would take it one day at a time. I would probably be ok going to 43 weeks personally given that everything is ok.

I would certainly prefer to take my chances at home at 42 weeks and a few days than to face the hospital in a non emergent situation at 42 weeks, knowing the likely outcome.

Of course, if there were signs of distress, baby not doing well, me not doing well, whatever, then Id be inclined to explore natural induction methods, but otherwise, I think a day by day assessment would be my plan.


My BBT Chart

Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

Reply With Quote
October 10th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SW FL
Posts: 8,785
Honesty, with my EDD I am going by my LMP, December 27. I got my first BFP on Jan 31. That would put my EDD around October 3. According to u/s EDD is October 12, which is Friday. I am fairly confident in my EDD and not the u/s. I wasn't charting because at that time, I was on BCP and I was trying to learn how to chart. I wanted to do NFP. My baby is pretty big tho and I am certain it is probably around the Oct 3 EDD.

My first was suppose to be born at a birthing center, but because the back up OB (my OB) would not OK me for a BC birth at 42 weeks, I was forced to be induced because of "low fluid". Every u/s was fine until my 42 u/s and I look back now I totally believe he was lieing to me. Unfortunately due to lack of VBAC OBs and mine was the only one in my area, I am stuck with the same jerk. Since my first apt, he has done nothing but talk about a c/s and a VBAC was fine as long as I went into labor by myself. I have a feeling he would come up with some crap to try to get me to repeat a c/s while I am in labor.

I hate being stressed. I feel like a huge idiot because I let myself get into this position. This sucks. I wish I knew then what I know now.....

Thanks for the responses!
Leann <3 Hector
My trio: Alyssa 7, Tristan 4.75, Gavin 1.5

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

Reply With Quote
October 10th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 28,853
As long as the baby was happy in there and I personally felt okay I'd go as long as it took.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Reply With Quote
October 10th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Posts: n/a
As long as the baby is ok and everything looks good, I would go past 42 weeks. I had my last son at 42+2 but I went for the induction because I was just so miserable. But I think I would have had him in the next few days if I had waited and I kind of wish I had. The only thing for me is that he was 10 lbs already, which ended up being a difficult labor although I didn't tear either, but I hate to think how big my next one could get if I wait too long. Good luck in whatever you decide. I hope it goes well and you get the natural birth you want.
Reply With Quote
October 10th, 2007, 04:15 PM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 632
I'm sorry you're stressed LeAnn!!! I fear that happening to me too. I have gone late with both girls and of course OB's just induce, so that is what I did. Now I will be 40 weeks on Tuesday and I am starting to wonder if I am going to be in your situation by the end of this thing.

Thinking of you!

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0