Nervous of baby catching the flu/cold so young!

Forum: Moms of Infants

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Infants LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Lovie's Avatar Veteran
It seems like everyone has been catching a bad flu this year and now my husband just started with a sore throat this morning. My baby isn't 6 months yet so she couldn't get a flu shot and I am so worried about her getting sick. I know how terrible I feel when I get sick, so my heart just aches at the thought of her having to deal with a sore throat, and stuffy nose, and just feeling so terrible and not able to know what's wrong or tell me what's wrong. I was wondering if it's just as easy at this age for her to catch a cold, as it would be for any of us adults, or do babies this old still have a better immunity? I am breastfeeding soley stilll, don't know if that helps. I also got the flu shot myself a week or so ago. I just am a first time momma and have never had to experience this before so I am extra scared of going through it!!!!!
November 8th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I think it all depends on the baby.. My daughter has been in daycare since she was 3 months old and has only come down with one bad cold.. But I know some babies that just stay at home and they are always sick and have ear infections.. It just all depends and your baby will let you know when she/he is not feeling good. You'll learn what to do.. And to answer your question, I believe newborns have a better immunity, since they are still carrying some antibodies from the mother. It's when they get older, they loose the mothers and they start building up their own.

edit: I would also suggest using Children's Motrin vs. Infant Tylenol.. Motrin helped bring my daughter's fever down within minutes, while the Tylenol didn't.. Just make sure you contact your Pediatrician and ask what the appropriate dose would be for your baby.. And if you want a second opinion, contact a local Pharmacy and speak to a Pharmacist..

November 9th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Mum2three's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Mum2three
Oh i really hope your LO doesnt get sick. I know as a mom of 3 i hate to watch my kids get sick. But you never know her immune system could be really high and she wont get sick. just keep that in mind.
My grandma always said, when a baby gets sick thats great, cause they will learn to fight in later life.

I hope your LO stays clean of her health..

November 10th, 2008, 12:04 AM
~Veronika~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: Moved from San Diego, CA to Issaquah, WA and hating every moment of it!
Send a message via AIM to ~Veronika~ Send a message via MSN to ~Veronika~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Veronika~
My DH has gotten sick a few times, and Ian has only gotten sick from him once. The first time I think he was under 6 months. It sucked, because he was obviously cranky and in pain, but he got through it okay. I hope your little one doesn't get sick!

V. =)

November 10th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Lovie's Avatar Veteran
Thanks everyone for your advice! I will find out about the motrin too..I appreciate that tip

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search