Constipated Infant

Forum: Moms of Infants

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Infants LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 14th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Good Evening. Im having some issues that are making me go completely nuts!

I have a 3 1/2 week old baby girl that I was supplement with formula and breast milk. I noticed she wasnt having BM so I stopped supplementing her. Now she hasnt had a BM since Friday and she is really fussy at times I dont know what to do for her! I gave her mylicon drops this morning and more about 30 minutes ago and all she does is fart and they stink!

Im really hesitant to give her anything but my breastmilk with her being so young. I tried what worked for me when I was pregnant and that was laying on my stomach but it doesnt seem to have helped her. Anyone have any other suggestions?!
December 14th, 2008, 04:11 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
it is sad when they are uncomfortable.....

you can try the "bicycle" technique with her legs...sometimes it helps....
also (ask your ped. first, but a 1/2 tsp of dark karo syrup in a bottle also helps soften the stool and makes it easier to pass.
we had to do that with Katie around that age...and again just last week....both times it worked in about 3 hours.

good luck !

December 14th, 2008, 04:51 PM
KimberlyD0
leg crunches and bicycle wheels work best.

Remember a BF baby can go days inbetween movments. DD Still goes 3-4 days without a poop. As long as when it comes it is soft and not balled she's fine.

BM acts as a laxative so just keep BFing her.

hth
December 14th, 2008, 11:34 PM
meghan.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How much formula does she get per day?
My daughter gets two ounces at night time so this advice is for babies who get mainly breatmilk. I'm not sure how it works with mainly formula fed babies.

I just got my husband to ask some of the doctors and nurses he works with about this today. My daughter hasn't had a poop in over twenty four hours, and all of the docs and nurses said its not a problem until they haven't gone for 5-7 days.
They have a saying. One in seven days or seven in one day, its all normal.

I know it doesn't help you as her mommy, because we want everything to be fine with our little ones, but just try different things (belly massage, bicycle movements with her legs) and hopefully she will have a poop soon.
December 15th, 2008, 04:21 PM
kiszi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Something else you can try is to gently massage her belly in a clockwise circle (direction of the bowels). And BF like mad! The more you BF the more your body will make, so you hopefully shouldn't need to supplement.
When I was EBF with Luke, certain foods I ate seemed to make him constipated/gassy. I avoided broccoli for months!! Maybe you can try eliminating different foods one at a time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search