I need some

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Siggy Makers' Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2010, 10:09 PM
peimum's Avatar Being crazy isn't enough
Send a message via MSN to peimum Send a message via Skype™ to peimum
good creativity.
I thought I was doing well....... but I have not had a nom since I was bumped to advanced (been a few months).... kinda kills the drive to want to make siggies... ya know.
January 11th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Ya have, too! This one:

(Don't ask me how I remember this).

And I was just reminiscing in the Lounge about how much I loved the very first siggy you ever made for me.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
January 12th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Christa~ SuperMom to Cade
Hey, I know how you feel hon... I don't do siggies for noms but it does give you a confidence boost and when you don't get one in awhile, it just makes you want to hang it up. That's kinda how I'm feeling right now too.

Only thing I can suggest... go browse through some digital scrap layout galleries... that is where I go for inspiration. There's some incredibly creative stuff out there!!
January 12th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Zarziza's Avatar I have ooodles of IT!!
Send a message via Yahoo to Zarziza
aww hun., totally understand you. i am in the struggling zone too.. it is taking me a long time to visualise anything with ffa's atm. sometime i start on something then half way give up. i am taking at least 2 hours on one siggie and i scans for new ffa's all the time but the creative juices does not speak for most.
xxhuggs hun, i'm sure you will pull through!

January 12th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Kit Kat's Avatar Photoshop Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to Kit Kat
Ditto! I don't get nommed very much, but I know there are girls that are SO much better than me, and it just makes me strive to get better.

I think you make some super cute siggies, Gwyn!

January 12th, 2010, 09:19 AM
SamuelsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you are doing it for the noms then you are going to get discouraged because there are just a very few who rack up large amounts of noms. When it becomes a competition then it's just not fun anymore IMO so do it because you love to do it, not for recognition. The more you make the better you will get. And really what better feeling than when someone loves what you made for them. I love being in my PR and seeing people wearing siggies I made for them. And everyone goes through a slump occasionally. Either take a break or push through it. I personally find that I do better only making 2 or 3 a week or I get burned out with it.

January 12th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I'm not doing it for the noms... if i did, i would have given up 5 minutes after i started siggy school. I'm just saying......... do my siggies suck that bad?
January 12th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Julka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum2Girls View Post
I thought I was doing well....... but I have not had a nom since I was bumped to advanced (been a few months).... kinda kills the drive to want to make siggies... ya know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum2Girls View Post
I'm not doing it for the noms... if i did, i would have given up 5 minutes after i started siggy school. I'm just saying......... do my siggies suck that bad?
Well, in the first post you're saying your drive to make siggies sucks because you haven't been nominated in months, and in the last post you're saying you are not doing it for nominations.

If this is something you enjoy and you are doing it for just for FUN, then forget nominations and just keep doing it. This IS a COMPETITIVE board, there is no way around it when you have challenges, contests, polls, and winners. So if that aspect bothers you, I don't know what to say. I think there are tons of competitive makers here, whether we admit it or not. I personally do it for fun. It's nice to get nom'ed, but it took me a while to even make it to step 2, probably over a year. My advice is to just keep making siggies for fun, learn new techniques that you see others doing, and you'll only keep getting better.
January 12th, 2010, 01:09 PM
dorkymommy
Have you tried looking at different tutorials?

I know for me, when I'm in a slump, trying something new will usually break me out of it. Whether it's figuring out the perfect sharpness to pictures, brightening up eyes, getting the perfect cutout...there's always something new to learn and something new to try. Maybe you could just start trying some new things?
January 12th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob*'s Avatar aka Heather!
Quote:
Originally Posted by myjoyoverflows View Post
Have you tried looking at different tutorials?

I know for me, when I'm in a slump, trying something new will usually break me out of it. Whether it's figuring out the perfect sharpness to pictures, brightening up eyes, getting the perfect cutout...there's always something new to learn and something new to try. Maybe you could just start trying some new things?

I do this too when I am in a creative slump, I force myself to try something outside of my comfort zone. I think it has helped me a lot. It also has helped me to look at my older stuff with new eyes. I can see things I need to work on and such just from doing the tutorials OR trying to do a siggy that isn't my style at all. Like if I try to do a scrap siggy (completely out of my element) then I start finding new ways of looking at them because I am a bit more comfortable with that style.....don't know if that make sense.

Another thing I have done is taking it back to basics, like for example. really thinking of the font not just going with my "regulars". One day I downloaded about 50 new fonts and just playing with that has helped me get over slumps. Just throwing some ideas to help get a boost.

I also did this with brushes and masks too, I downloaded stuff I liked and stuff I didn't just to see if I could make things that didn't trip my trigger "work".

I know I go through a slump at least once every couple of months or so too.

My Siggy Gallery ~ Request a Siggy ~ My Blog ~ My Page Gallery
January 12th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Timberlyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Timberlyn Send a message via MSN to Timberlyn Send a message via Yahoo to Timberlyn
Believe you me, I truly know how you feel my last nom was in March... But it doesn't help that most of the summer I was in & out of the hospital...

Timberlyn loving wife to Tommy (since June 22nd, 2006)
Proud Mommy to Aedan Thomas (June 14th, 2007), Gage Lawrence (August 23rd, 2008) & Callum Michael (September 18th, 2011)
Missing her Angel Judith Aleigh (since September 19th, 2007) & BabyD (since August 26th, 2010)
January 12th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julka View Post
Well, in the first post you're saying your drive to make siggies sucks because you haven't been nominated in months, and in the last post you're saying you are not doing it for nominations.

If this is something you enjoy and you are doing it for just for FUN, then forget nominations and just keep doing it. This IS a COMPETITIVE board, there is no way around it when you have challenges, contests, polls, and winners. So if that aspect bothers you, I don't know what to say. I think there are tons of competitive makers here, whether we admit it or not. I personally do it for fun. It's nice to get nom'ed, but it took me a while to even make it to step 2, probably over a year. My advice is to just keep making siggies for fun, learn new techniques that you see others doing, and you'll only keep getting better.
Maybe my wording wasn't the best. I just mean that I feel like I am going backwards, cause people used to say nice things about stuff that I made.... so either they were just saying it cause I was still learning, and they were "trying" to be nice (and a bit dis honest) or I am moving backwards. I guess I am just looking for someone to say I am still doing "okay". The noms are a way of making someone feel good about their work.... I didn't mean that I would leave if I don't get any noms soon. I mean, the first reply to the thread made me feel a lot better. It didn't take a nom.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search