are you...?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Siggy Makers' Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2010, 11:09 PM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
Do you feel you are a product if the enviorment you were raised in or do you feel where/how you were raised has little to nobearing on the person you are today?

Just curious.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
March 7th, 2010, 11:13 PM
.h00dihoo.this.'s Avatar *Siggy.Legend*
Send a message via MSN to .h00dihoo.this. Send a message via Yahoo to .h00dihoo.this.
okay i dont think i understand anything u just said
March 7th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Caitlin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I feel I am definitely a product of how I was raised. I was raised in a church, in a great family, and was fortunate enough to have pretty much what I asked for. We had money to do extra curricular activities, and dang if my mom did not work two jobs to pay for that extra year of competitive cheerleading.

Now, my moral compass was not what it should have been in high school. I lost my virginity early, had a baby early, and was not an angel.

However, I think in regards to how I parent my son, the way my parents raised me definitely made me the mother I am today. I won't be doing everything like they did, but the majority of how they parented me is how I will be parenting my children. I love my parents to death and I hope to have what they have when I am at that age.
March 8th, 2010, 12:40 AM
.*Emma*.'s Avatar pixie_pink
I'm also the product of how I was raised.

Thanks HeatherW for my awesome siggy!!

March 8th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob*'s Avatar aka Heather!
I would say for me it had very little to do with who I became. I do think my morals are strong in my upbringing as far as right vs wrong, but outside of that I think I have rejected just about everything I was raised with.

My Siggy Gallery ~ Request a Siggy ~ My Blog ~ My Page Gallery
March 8th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Bokkechick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ah...the old nature vs nuture debate:-) I think that I am little of both. There are certain aspects of my personality that were definately shaped by the family/environment that I was born into, but others were there from the start, and have not changed. I always loved the twin studies that went along with this topic

Thanks SSWC Maker for my BEAUTIFUL siggy!!
March 8th, 2010, 05:26 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
I am a product of how I was raised

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Expecting my baby boy May 9th
Emergency cerclage put in 12/24

March 8th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Vicki...'s Avatar Mommy to Caleb & Ethan
I am definitely NOT product of the way I was raised, I come from an abusive home, so I am the opposite with my kiddos, probably to easy on them but never want them to feel what i felt.

March 8th, 2010, 08:12 AM
peimum's Avatar Being crazy isn't enough
Send a message via MSN to peimum Send a message via Skype™ to peimum
i am a product of how i was raised! my house is a mess, and it doesn't bother me that much. i am strict with my children, and have high expectations for them (minus keeping a clean house, lol)

growing up, our house was always messy, and in texas, messy means you get mice and roaches... i know, gross... it is not that bad here, most of the time, but right now, the house is in utter chaos! I am spending most of the day cleaning.....
March 8th, 2010, 10:03 AM
SandKmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Its hard I spent 9-10mo a year with my mom and stepdad(till 15yrs when mom left him) and 2-3mo with my dad and stepmom. I guess I'm more like how my dad was cause I hated growing up the way we did w/ my stepdad (paddles, getting locked out, told not to talk to our mom when she got home from work til she'd been home 2hrs or so, etc)

March 8th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Julka
I grew up in 3 different countries - 6.5 years in Russia, 7.5 years in Israel, and now 12 years in Canada. I went through 2 immigrations, learned an extra 2 languages on top of Russian, moved a 100 different apartments, only lived in 1 house, switched a ton of schools, left a ton of close family and good friends behind, made new ones. Growing up was a lot of MOVING and CHANGE.

We lived in some good places and some bad places. I went to some good schools and some crap schools. I went through happy phases & depressed ones.

I certainly appreciate all of what my parents have done to get us out of countries with war and hatred, but I want to be able to give my own kids more stability. I don't want them to move away from family (grandparents, in particular), or switch a ton of schools and lose friends. I want them to grow up in places without rats or spider webs on the walls. Of course, life can go a weird way all of a sudden, but these are just my plans.

I do not parent like my parents. I am strict but fair. My parents did a lot of fighting. DH and I don't.

So yeah, my life experiences definitely shaped who I am today and how I parent my children and how I treat my husband and the people around me.
March 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My upbringing is hugely a part of who I am today. I had a very religious upbringing and am still very religious. How I raise my children is somewhat different than how I was raised regarding parenting style, but my family was very strong and family was top priority. That is the same. And even though I raise my children somewhat differently than how I was raised my mother was brags to people that I am the best mother she knows....so apparently she approves of how I do it. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Vicki~ View Post
I am definitely NOT product of the way I was raised, I come from an abusive home, so I am the opposite with my kiddos, probably to easy on them but never want them to feel what i felt.
Some would still say that you are a product of your upbringing in this case...the reaction from your upbringing was that you choose to be the opposite. And good for you!

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (13.75), Ryllan (11.5), Finn (7.5), and Zane (4).

March 8th, 2010, 12:02 PM
sugary~snails's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sharon* View Post

Some would still say that you are a product of your upbringing in this case...the reaction from your upbringing was that you choose to be the opposite. And good for you!

Definitly AM! I was fortunate to have a stable home life..I learned who I wanted to be as a person because of who my mom is..as well as who I do not want to be for the same reason. My mom was always fair but strict..bargained, but didnt overindulge us. I would like to think I will be the same as sophia ages. My mom and step dad always fought..so I make an effort to handle any disputes with DH differently..and try to have open communication to avoid resentment..so far so good.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search