"They don't need to know how to count money"

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
"They don't need to know how to count money with modern technology"

That's what my sons teacher told me when I asked why they don't spend much time teaching the kids how to count money and give change.

So this morning the bus was late, it usually comes about 12 after and by 35 after I had given up so I told Joe I'd just drive him to school. At 45 after when we left the house the bus had still yet to come - I called and the school said the bus garage just called telling them that bus was running late but with no reason as to why. Not a big deal had it been any day last week but today PA decided to revert back to winter so it was COLD! Anyway... since I was driving Joe to school I figured I'd hit Mc D's and get a coffee and I ordered my coffee and the kids and I each a parfait. My order came to $6.35, I gave him $20.35. He accidently cleared the screen telling him my change and was completely clueless as to how to figure it out!! He messed around with it for a minute, searched for a calculator then finally had to call his manager over to do it and it even took her a minute. I don't know about anyone else but I always figure out the change in my head so when they count it back to me I know it's right. And I could see it being difficult if it were a real odd number or if he had to count coin change but $14? That's not hard to figure out.

I want to write Joe's teacher now and tell her that this is why they need to work a little bit more with money counting/change giving. Sometimes I just don't get the schools reasoning, they'll spend a whole quarter working on long division - something that in reality they'll probably never really use but won't spend a week teaching them how to count money and they'll end up using that nearly every day of their lives! I don't get it.

May 4th, 2011, 08:12 AM
i:heart:you's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's not good! My dd is in 1st grade and they are spending a ton of time on counting money. This is like their 3rd test on counting money in cents. I would totally want to give the teach that example. Do you know if any other teachers at your ds grade level spend more time on money?

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
May 4th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That's terrible ! I'm glad our school does the counting money ! They had used play money in kindergarten and then in first grade they asked you to bring real money.

I think many people are forgetting how to count money due to hey we have debit cards very rarely do you see people carrying cash.

As the saying goes Don't use it then you lose it.

When Brendan wants a book order I try to add up so much stuff to see how much I should write on the check.

Last edited by Mom2Brendan; May 4th, 2011 at 08:27 AM.
May 4th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
We had talked to her about it and she said they did it for a few weeks in 3rd grade but that's all, and that they just didn't feel it was important enough to spend much time on because of "modern technology". I know the look on mine and DH's face must have been because that's just kind of scary!! The kids all go to a different teacher for math based on their abilities, all the kids are basically doing the same stuff just at different levels of it. Right now they're doing division and Joe's just doing the basic stuff where as another class is doing a more complicated level of it (like long divison). The way they do things at this school really don't make a lot of sense to me, can't wait to move!!
Oh and they also don't focus on handwriting for long either - because everyone types! Eesh!

May 4th, 2011, 03:44 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Now I don't know what grade your son is in and I 100% agree with you. I teach 1st grade and my students struggle GREATLY with counting money. Unfortunately both my curriculum and my district do not require this as a SECURE skill at this point in time. Now I supplement and work with my students as I feel its a skill they need to know to be successful in life.

I think that's nuts if she actually said those words to you- she gives teachers a bad wrap. But to defend others- we do teach these things and do know what is important but at times our administrators place more weight on other skills. Is it right? No but sometimes its how it works. I'm sorry some teachers are such smucks, but they're not all like that.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
May 5th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Money and real-life problem solving still feature heavily in the UK curriculum so far as I know and that is just ridiculous!! Technology or no we all need to know how to deal with money, I mean we don't exactly carry calculators around with us!!

May 6th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
They don't need to know how to count money? What the heck???
So they don't need to know how to spell either, that's what spellcheck is for! Don't need to learn any history or geography, what do you think google is for?!!!!!
Sheesh I think the teacher needs a reality check and quick!
May 6th, 2011, 06:39 AM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
crazy lady! You need to know how to count money! I hate pyschos who insist on us relying sooo much on technology so that when it isnt there we are lost! I actually just did an application last night for a pizza delivery job (a friend of mine works for them and averages $100/$150 a night in Tips in a 4 hour shift... I needs me some of that!) and there was a math test on the application!

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search