questions about school..- newbie

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Regular
My first born is starting school this year...

he has not been to preschool ...so this is very new to me.

firstly i need to order iron on labels...where have u ordered them from?

2ndly : routine. my son has no routine, and we have enjoyed sleeping late...eating whenever..i know very unorganized...but since school is starting i will be setting up a routine for the family.

what time does ur child have dinner and go to bed.

what time does your child wake up in the morning? my son school starts at 7:45 and is 2 min. walk.

do you allow ur child to stay up late on weekend? or are you strict on routine even on weekends?

do u plan on daily outfits on weekends for the whole week..or decide a night before ? same with lunch and snack planning? (he is allergic so all food will be from home)

will really appreciate any tips and input

thanks in advance

am so scared...he is starting KG...i dont think i will sleep at night the same anymore..knowing i must have him at school on time...and keep a calm atmosphere and not rush things...

a good alarm clock i shud invest in !!!!!

my baby is growing up !!!!!
July 28th, 2011, 09:36 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We never ordered iron on labels. I wrote her name on the inside of her backpack and lunch box. Each child had their own cubby, which was the size of a full locker but they were wooden and had no door. So all of her items were contained in one area, and labels were never necessary.

My 1st grader goes to bed at 8pm during the school year, and wakes up at 7am. We leave between 8-8:05 to get her to school, it's a 3 minute walk or 1 minute car drive (it's a block away LOL). We have dinner at about 5pm, and she eats breakfast when she gets up at 7am. She has lunch at school, but gets a snack pretty much immediately when she gets home (3pm?). We keep our bedtime routine year around, but are a little more lax (by a half hour) during the summer. Routine is important to us, and our kids work best on a routine. We might look in the closet the night before to pick out her outfit, otherwise we do it in the mornings. It's not a big deal, just grab something and go. If she pitched a fit over what she was going to wear, we'd plan in advance (the night before). I make her lunch in the morning before she leaves for school.

My daughter was in kindergarten last year, and had never been to daycare or preschool before. I did teach her at home, but she had never been in a structured classroom setting before. She did great, really thrived and learned a lot. She loves 1st grade so far. She just loves school in general, and loves to learn.

I think the first day is harder on the moms than it is on the kids. He'll do just fine. He's going to meet new friends and learn so much his kindergarten year. It's such an exciting time in their lives. Embrace it
July 28th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
firstly i need to order iron on labels...where have u ordered them from?
The school she will be starting provided them along with her school tie (uniforms over here)

what time does ur child have dinner and go to bed.
Dinner is between 5:30 & 6pm, bath at 7pm and in bed by 7:30pm

what time does your child wake up in the morning? my son school starts at 7:45 and is 2 min. walk.
She is usually awake by 7am, school doesn't start until 9am here, so she could sleep longer. Maybe I'll get lucky and she will once she is mantally exhausted from learning

do you allow ur child to stay up late on weekend? or are you strict on routine even on weekends?
She's usually in bed by 8pm at weekends, 8:30pm at the very latest.

do u plan on daily outfits on weekends for the whole week..or decide a night before ? same with lunch and snack planning? (he is allergic so all food will be from home)
All school's have uniforms over here, so I don't have to plan anything in that department. I'll have a variety of stuff for lunch and I'll let her choose what she wants in the morning.
July 28th, 2011, 10:29 AM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
My suggestion is to start a routine now. I agree with Erica's routine..pretty structured. My soon to be 6 year old follows a similar one. She's up around 7,eats, gets dressed we do her hair, brush her teeth and we leave. She eats lunch @ school as well. After school, homework snack & play time. Then dinner & play. Bath/Shower, tv time then a snack, teeth, story & bed(by 8:30 pm). On the weekend, I do allow her to stay up later but on Sunday the routine goes back to the same. I feel children need structure and with my youngest she definitely thrives on routine.

We do tend to pick out outfits the night before with my youngest because she often times has a cow over her clothes. My oldest though (she's 11) gets up and picks out her clothes with no problem.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
July 29th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
firstly i need to order iron on labels...where have u ordered them from? Iron on labels for what? If just to mark her stuff with, I just take a black Sharpie marker and put his first initial and last name on the inside of his stuff and I've never had an issue in 4 years.

what time does ur child have dinner and go to bed.? My son eats dinner between 6:30 and 7:30 depending on the night and is in bed between 8:00 and 8:30 (he's 9 1/2 years old), when he was 5-6 and in K he was in bed between 7:00 and 7:30

what time does your child wake up in the morning? Our school starts at 8:15, I drop him off at 7:45 (it's a 30 second drive to the school), he gets up at 6:30 so he has time to do his chores, eat, get dressed, and brush teeth.

do you allow ur child to stay up late on weekend? or are you strict on routine even on weekends? Nope. Not unless there is something special going on, but as a general rule his bedtime stays the same whether or not he is in school as it helps to keep routine and provide him with enough sleep.

do u plan on daily outfits on weekends for the whole week..or decide a night before ? same with lunch and snack planning? (he is allergic so all food will be from home): My son takes his lunch. I pack it each night myself and put it in the fridge. I do not plan it ahead of time, when I'm done with work and cleaning up dinner dishes and have him in bed, then I go and make his lunch for the following day. If you are sending his lunch, I would suggest a good insulated lunch bag/box and make sure to pack an icepack when needed to prevent food born illnesses.

On clothes, my son has chosen his own clothes to wear since he was 4, so he must set out a shirt, shorts, and socks for the following morning (he takes a shower at night and puts on clean underwear then) before going to bed.

And don't stress. If he is late one or two days a year because something happened or someone overslept I guarantee the world won't come to an end. As long as the parent excuses stuff, the schools are typically fine. He'll have a great time and enjoy his new found independence!
July 30th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey there !

It's great for you to start out your routine early on as when does his school start ?

I never used any iron labels either the markers on the inside of the backpack or shirt worked just fine . It would be only the first inital with the last name .

Brendan school days are Wake up at 7 am , get dressed , eat breakfast , head out to the bus always at 7:43. Winter time it can be a little bit later since the bus usually is late .

He gets home on the bus around 2:25-2:27 . Snack, Homework , playtime , Dinner around 5:30 or 6 pm . Playtime afterwards . Shower , story time and then bedtime as in he is usually asleep by 9 pm .

Weekends - During the beginning of school time we keep the schedule then we may once in awhile sleep in on a weekend it depends on his activity like sport games .

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search