Snacks

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2011, 04:13 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Does your child's school allow snacks?

Do you provide them or the school?

What do they have for a snack (if applicable)

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
September 8th, 2011, 04:23 PM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, since she goes half day there is a snack time but no lunch.

I provide it, but she does have the option of buying milk at school.

I have been sending rice cakes and a fruit/veggie juice box. I also sent a few cherry tomatoes yesterday, and today some applesauce. I don't know how long their snacktime is so I've been trying to send something quick & simple that I know she likes.

September 8th, 2011, 05:02 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Yes for Natalie. I need to provide it. I've sent fruit cups, granola bars, goldfish crackers.

Arianna says a few of her teachers said she can eat in her class.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
September 8th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
They have a snack time at school also. The teachers tell us what to bring and the parents sign up for a few weeks throughout the year. The kids are responsible to make their own snack, so as the year progresses, the snack become more involved.
September 8th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Does your child's school allow snacks? Yes they have a "nutrition break" in the AM for 10 minutes where they can go to the bathroom and eat a small snack if they brought one.

Do you provide them or the school? Parents must provide them if they choose to. The cafeteria is only open for lunch and breakfast and the teachers do not provide food.

What do they have for a snack (if applicable): I always pack something healthy. Some fruit, veggie, animal crackers, Activia yogurt, string cheese, something along those lines.
September 9th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Does your child's school allow snacks? Yes - John Paul's teacher allows snacks for the first few weeks until they get used to the new schedule. Isis doesn't eat lunch until almost 1:30 so her teacher allows a daily snack around a more normal lunch time to tide them over.

Do you provide them or the school? John Paul's teacher provides his snacks, I provide Isis's.

What do they have for a snack (if applicable) John Paul's teacher tries to aim for fruits, veggies, etc. Healthy finger foods. Isis I usually pack a granola bar. We were given few options with most of them being bags of chips or bags of pretzels or whatever and I'd rather it have at least some nutritional value.

September 9th, 2011, 09:53 AM
mommas2favs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mommas2favs
Does your child's school allow snacks? Yes.

Do you provide them or the school? I provide them.

What do they have for a snack ?(if applicable) She gets to choose between a fruit, vegetable or graham crackers. The only rule being she can't have the same thing twice. Today, she took slices of green pepper.

~~my awesome siggies are made by *Kiliki~~
September 9th, 2011, 02:10 PM
PeanutandPiglet'sMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to PeanutandPiglet'sMom Send a message via Yahoo to PeanutandPiglet'sMom
Our school is grade K-6. The K-3rd grades get a snack time in the day as their lunch is the later lunch period - 12:10pm

I provide the snack for Vanessa. Kaylee's grade doesn't have snack time.

Usually it's a cheese sticks or pretzels. Maybe grapes or carrots sticks depending.

September 10th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Does your child's school allow snacks? Yes, Jay's class (K) has snack in the afternoon. Joe's does not.

Do you provide them or the school? Parents have to provide them but if someone doesn't bring one his teacher keeps little baggies full of cereal for them.

What do they have for a snack (if applicable) Jay usually takes a cereal bar or apple dippers, something like that.

September 10th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
they ahve snack time in the afternoon. Her class has an earlier lunch at 11:30.
Parents provide but we provide for e whole class for an entire week twice a year.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

September 12th, 2011, 08:37 AM
purplepieguy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Does your child's school allow snacks? yes

Do you provide them or the school? I send theirs in

What do they have for a snack (if applicable)
applesauce, goldfish, fruit snacks, carrots with ranch...just to name a few.
September 17th, 2011, 11:47 AM
gctattoo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Alisha gets a healthy snack a few days a week provided by the school. Parents aren't allowed to send snacks. Nor are they allowed to send any treats for the kids' birthdays.
September 17th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gctattoo View Post
Alisha gets a healthy snack a few days a week provided by the school. Parents aren't allowed to send snacks. Nor are they allowed to send any treats for the kids' birthdays.
Just curious, why can you not send in a snack for your own kid? I don't allow my child to eat school food, so would he just not be able to have a snack?
September 18th, 2011, 09:46 AM
LoveMySonshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Does your child's school allow snacks? Yes, they have recess in the morning. They eat a snack, then can go outside to play for a little.

Do you provide them or the school? I do.

What do they have for a snack (if applicable) Whatever I have at the house. When I pack his lunch I usually make a sandwich, a drink, and 2 snacks. Maybe a box of raisins and some crackers and cheese or something.
September 22nd, 2011, 02:32 PM
i:heart:you's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does your child's school allow snacks? yes, no peanut butter though

Do you provide them or the school? i do

What do they have for a snack (if applicable)...fruit, veggies, goldfish, pretzels and a water. I think I have the only kid on the planet that doesn't like juice boxes or flavored drinks.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
September 23rd, 2011, 01:29 AM
purplepieguy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by krislati View Post
Does your child's school allow snacks? yes, no peanut butter though

Do you provide them or the school? i do

What do they have for a snack (if applicable)...fruit, veggies, goldfish, pretzels and a water. I think I have the only kid on the planet that doesn't like juice boxes or flavored drinks.
Our school doesn't allow peanut butter in the classes that have kids allergic to peanuts. And my child happens to be one with the peanut allergy. So her class is one of the classes that doesn't allow peanuts and one parent made a HUGE stink of it. Sorry, I understand your child LOVES peanut butter, but my child's safety comes first.
September 23rd, 2011, 01:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepieguy View Post
Our school doesn't allow peanut butter in the classes that have kids allergic to peanuts. And my child happens to be one with the peanut allergy. So her class is one of the classes that doesn't allow peanuts and one parent made a HUGE stink of it. Sorry, I understand your child LOVES peanut butter, but my child's safety comes first.
I have mixed feelings on that as if they're going to do that why not say no to whatever food any child is allergic to? I have an allergy to celery and cranberries, yet went through my entire life in school and workplaces and such without having an issue as I learned from a young age not to eat them. I'm sure kids were allergic to peanuts when I was in school too, yet it was never an issue to bring peanut stuff to school and I never knew anyone that had a reaction during school time.

I don't know, just seems like sometimes things get out of hand nowadays.
September 23rd, 2011, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
Just curious, why can you not send in a snack for your own kid? I don't allow my child to eat school food, so would he just not be able to have a snack?
I have no idea. That's just the way her school is. The kinds of snacks the kids get are fresh fruits and vegetables. I can't imagine parents having a problem with it, even if they don't want the kids to eat school lunch.
September 23rd, 2011, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
I have mixed feelings on that as if they're going to do that why not say no to whatever food any child is allergic to? I have an allergy to celery and cranberries, yet went through my entire life in school and workplaces and such without having an issue as I learned from a young age not to eat them. I'm sure kids were allergic to peanuts when I was in school too, yet it was never an issue to bring peanut stuff to school and I never knew anyone that had a reaction during school time.

I don't know, just seems like sometimes things get out of hand nowadays.
Longtime allergy sufferer here. It's rare that an allergy to foods such as fruits and vegetables is going to have a catastrophic effect the way a peanut allergy is likely to. You'll usually get hives or something similarly minor. A peanut allergy can easily kill you. Therein lies the difference and the reason for the careful treatment of nut allergies in school these days.

My husband is deathly allergic to shrimp because of the iodine. So I don't even eat shrimp in the house for fear that washing the plate/utensils could contaminate the dishes he'll be using.
September 23rd, 2011, 06:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Matt is in kindergarten and I pack him a snack. Beth is in first grade and she does not have a snack time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search