Help please!

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2011, 10:34 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter is 3 (will be 4 next month) and special needs. The state puts them in elementary school at 3 years old to receive services such as physical, occupational and speech therapies.

In many way Carrie is a typical 3 year old and last year she seemed to really like school, but this year is not off to a good start and I don't know what to do.

(We've moved since last year so this is a new school)

The first day I dropped her off at school, there was a couple tears. The second day, a few more tears. The third and fourth day (today)... raging, screaming, clawing, kicking fits. She seems to like school. She is very happy when she walks out of class. She even tries to get on the bus to go home with the other kids. The teacher says she participates well and enjoys it, but dropping her off is heartbreaking I'm not sure what to do. If she cried all day in school, I'd pull her out no question, but she doesn't. I don't know how to make transition easier.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
September 14th, 2011, 11:26 AM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh huge hugs to you That has to be so tough. Does she tell you why she doesn't want to go? Maybe it's just a hard adjustment?? I have no advice but hope it improves

September 14th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
that is heartbreaking. My youngest is the screamer so I get it. She also adjusts once she is there. I would say give it a few weeks. I bet she will come around since she seems to like it so much once she is there.
You could also try a bit of bribery lol I am all for that! Something like "you're a big girl now and get to go to school and learn and play with your friends, but you need to be a big girl when we get there too, no crying fits today, you're a big kid and you're going to have such a great time! Now if you can be a big girl ALL WEEK long, ON friday after you get out, we can go do something special!!" a new book at the bookstore, McDonalds, [email protected]

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

September 14th, 2011, 12:40 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks I may give the bribery a shot!

Carrie is socially and emotionally 3, but she can't talk, so I can't ask her why she's crying

She did SO well last year when she went. This year the class is SO much more fun (they have a better and more interactive schedule) she's got kids she can play with (the kids in the last class were mostly wheelchair bound). There is SOOOO much art (her favorite thing).

They said that today and yesterday she had a bit of a hard time in class (whiny and sad). I'm hoping this passes, but I don't want to torture her by forcing her to go to school when she's no where near school age (she misses the cut off by a couple weeks, so she can't start kindergarten for 2 more years)

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search