Question on vehicles...

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Do any of you moms have cars (as opposed to SUV's, vans, crossovers, etc) and kids? What kind of car (not SUV, van, etc) do you have and do you have any space issues not having an SUV? Anybody gone from an SUV, crossover, van, etc to a 4 door sedan (mid-sized)? Pros/cons?

Considering going from my mid-sized SUV (Hyundai Santa Fe) to a mid-sized 4 door sedan (Mitsubishi Galant), but just a small consideration, hence my oddball question .

I will add that my son is 9 (will be 10 next month), so he's still in a backless booster, but we're done with carseats and we just have the 1 kiddo, so it's my husband, myself, and our almost 10 year old who is in a booster. Need at least a mid-sized sedan as he will be solely in the backseat for probably another 3-5 years, so need that backseat space, and enough trunk space for large grocery shopping, etc.

Thanks!
September 18th, 2011, 08:09 AM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we have a Honda Fit which while not mid sized by any means is more then enough room for the 3 of us and I have no doubt will be plenty big enough in the back when the baby gets here to add him in to the mix. The only time the car will be too small is when we go on vacation and bring the dog with us since she rides in her kennel in the car (she has a tendency to get car sick unless she is in the front seat and its easier to clean the crate then the carpet) and since she has a pretty big kennel and we normally put half the seat down to accommodate it we'll have to start driving our SUV on vacations (I dont foresee a lot of vacations any time soon due to gas prices lol)

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3
September 18th, 2011, 09:49 AM
LoveMySonshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have an old Toyota Corolla. It's just fine for us and I'd happily get another one when this one dies.
September 18th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
My friend got ris of her Subborban to get a 4 door Honadai. Not that it matters to you but she can fit 3 car seats in the back. A radian forward facing, a true fit forward facing and a chaporone, obviously rear

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

September 18th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr.4.gtn View Post
My friend got ris of her Subborban to get a 4 door Honadai. Not that it matters to you but she can fit 3 car seats in the back. A radian forward facing, a true fit forward facing and a chaporone, obviously rear
A Honda or a Hyundai?
September 18th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
DH and I both have 4 door sedans and we have not had any problems with space. The girls are in full boosters and that pretty much takes up the back seat, with room to spare for a small cooler or bag of toys in between them for long road trips. Both of our cars have huge trunks, so fitting luggage on road trips has not been a problem. I actually feel that our cars have more inside space and trunk space than the smaller SUV's that our neighbors have.
September 23rd, 2011, 06:28 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I drive a van NOW... but we just bought it a month ago. I had a 2 door Grand Prix GTP, and while I loved the car... it was a PITA with my kids. It would have been fine for a 10 year old that uses a booster. But I had a rear facing 3 year old and a harnessed 6 year old, and well... that was always fun getting them in and buckled It had a HUGE trunk, I loved my trunk! And there was plenty of leg room in the back seat.

I think you'll be perfectly fine, space wise, with a 4 door sedan since you only have one child. Even though we had plenty of space, seat wise, for our family of 4, I know my kids are getting older and we'll soon be having friends/cousins going more places with us and I wanted to be able to transport them if necessary. The car I had only had a lap belt in the center, which isn't safe for a person to use (only to install a harnessing car seat), so I couldn't transport a 3rd kiddo (if they were in a booster or out of a booster).
September 23rd, 2011, 08:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
thanks all. I've decided against the car. With 2 large dogs as well as a 10 year old with baseball equipment and family vacations and such, I think the SUV would serve us FAR better.
September 27th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So sold my small SUV private party yesterday and am going to go get the Endeavor I want tomorrow. So glad I didn't trade mine at the dealership as I got $2,000 more by selling it private party. I'm thrilled!
September 28th, 2011, 05:45 AM
LoveMySonshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's awesome!!
September 28th, 2011, 07:04 AM
mommas2favs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mommas2favs
I have a 2008 Chevy Cobalt, Sedan. I love it. I'm able to fit a rear facing convertable seat, and a backless booster in the back seat. It still has a lot of room in the trunk and the back seats fold down to expand the trunk in and 60/40 split.

~~my awesome siggies are made by *Kiliki~~
September 28th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks. I'm actually getting an SUV. I've stopped thinking about price and am going to get what I want for once in my life LoL. We're going today to buy a "new" (used, but new to me) Mitsubishi Endeavor. My only downside is that it is premium fuel only, but I LOVE it, so oh well will just have to get over that annoying fact. hehe. And the more I thought about it, yes I only have 1 kid, but I have 2 large dogs (a 75 pound German Shepherd and a 70 pound Boxer) plus the kid in the booster, so the SUV seems like a smarter decision in that aspect as I belt my dogs in as well.
October 6th, 2011, 10:23 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
I want something that is not a van so bad. lol But with #4 on the way it's just not going to happen until Zach is big enough to sit in the front seat.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
October 6th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishosaurus View Post
I want something that is not a van so bad. lol But with #4 on the way it's just not going to happen until Zach is big enough to sit in the front seat.
You could do an SUV with the 3rd row seating option.
October 6th, 2011, 12:15 PM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
You could do an SUV with the 3rd row seating option.
That is something we've thought about. The hubs was actually *supposed* to get that when he got a new car, but ended up getting a smaller SUV that only holds 4.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search